Old 10-31-2018, 02:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel

Hello all,

I am planning a trip from Austin across the southeast then up the east coast. My question is about the leg from Myrtle Beach to Assateague Island. I will be there in May and am really concerned about taking my 2018 Flying Cloud 27FB across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.

I have had my AS 18 months, driven 17,000 miles, been to 28 states from Maine to Texas to Montana but this crossing really intimidates me.

Of course, when I googled the CBBT to check propane restrictions, the first thing that popped up was story about a semi truck blown off into the sea by wind recently. I donít want to be the next one on the news. Read online that some sections are quite narrow and I should pull in passenger side mirror to prevent it scraping wall of tunnel.

Any suggestions for the crossing??

Charissa
2018 FC 27FB Twin
2017 RAM 1500 4x4

TxTravelsUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:03 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
I read your post and then did some research on the CBBT. Expensive to cross $15 one way and possibly problematic on the wrong day at the wrong time to cross it. You never know what you'll get so unless you just really have it on the bucket list to cross the CBBT with or without your Airstream I would avoid it. My wife doesn't like ferries or bridges or tunnels, however while they don't bother me I respect her cautions and try hard to avoid them. This reminds me of the trembling bridge across Lake Ponchartrain (sp) from NOLA to Metarie LA. Once is enough.

Alice&Billis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:18 PM   #3

2017 Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I live in Virginia Beach, near the southern entrance to the CBBT, and have pulled large sailboats across the bridge many times. The lanes in the tunnels are standard 12' wide but they are a single lane in each direction. The bridge sections are divided with two lanes in each direction. If the weather is bad, local radio stations and highway advisory signs will advise if there are any restrictions on pulling trailers across. There are generally no more that 5-10 days during the year when they have wind restrictions.

By the way, I have pulled our Basecamp (albeit much smaller that your rig)across the CBBT in windy conditions (20-25mph) and had no trouble.

There are plenty of places near the southern approach to the tunnel where you can pull off and wait out the high winds if necessary. As for the side mirrors, if you are uncomfortable with the you can pull over sustain before the toll plaza and fold them in. Same thing at the north end near the south bound toll plaza.
Vladius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We did it from north to south several years ago on the Airstream caravan. No problems. We did have decent weather. I have been in tighter circumstances towing. I would not want you to get out of your comfort level but it is a neat ride.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Lots of other threads on this FYI:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ches...com&gws_rd=ssl

. . . including this active one today:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...on-185528.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:31 AM   #6
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I've crossed with my 30 footer many times. Never any issues. Enjoy your trip.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:55 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
I live about 1 miles south of where the CBBT hits Va Beach, have crossed it many times without any problems. As others have indicated, it's not something you want to do in high winds and there is a great campground on the Eastern Shore just before the bridg.
Crabpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:45 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Just crossed it this past Sunday with a 30' FC and I had no issues. When the wind get bad they shut down the CBBT. I have sat for 36 hrs at the rest area on the north side of the CBBT waiting for a storm to pass. Must have been 20 RV'ers there, we had one hell of a party.
KWN306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
$15 toll does NOT include the trailer. Was $25 last time I went over it, but compared to going around you will probably save that in gas or diesel. And avoiding I-95 around DC? Priceless! If you have EZ pass it costs less.

The fishing pier and restaurant on south island are closed because the tunnels are being upgraded to 2 lanes in either direction. Fun when open, but with a trailer, meh? I'd pass.

Good rest stop and campgrounds on North end, kinda SOL on the south end near the bridge except for First Landing State Park which is busy on all weekends in season.

I am the one who scraped a mirror off the right side in the tunnel.... oncoming semi oinked his lane. Tucking RIGHT one back would have saved me $150+. (Big mirrors extended 12" for towing. 6" regular driving would have been OK).

Paula
Old 11-01-2018, 05:27 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Been there... done that... highly recommend it! A check of the weather a day or two before will tell you if wind is going to be an issue.

While you are east, consider putting the rig on the NC ferry system to reach Okracoke, Hatteras National Seashore, etc.. Assateague Maryland is a hoot, too with the wild horses.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:35 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Thanks to all!

Thank you everyone who replied to my post.
I am going to muster my courage and take on the CBBT with the knowledge that many others have gone before me without incident.
Safe travels to all!
TxTravelsUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:41 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
No issues. Done it many times. I didn't feel particularly squeezed in the tunnels with my mirrors extended.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Unusual attribute of the CBBT was that we had a cell signal through both tunnels -- must be repeaters...
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:04 PM   #14
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Just checked my EZ-Pass today. $22 for a one-way crossing for a single wheel pickup & Airstream. We did it in October one day after the hurricane passed through. Morning crossings southbound were delayed due to high winds but by the time we crossed all was good. No problems in the tunnels with my mirrors extended. There's more room than it seems.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote