Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2006, 11:41 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The best weekend ever - Ashland, OR

This weekend was our second trip this year to Ashland, OR to see the Shakespeare Festival plays. We saw most of the plays this spring, and now was our chance to see the three outdoor plays, plus one indoor one that had started late in the season. So we took the Caravel down there and camped at Emigrant Lake again.

Everything went well with the Caravel, except the fridge and toilet were giving us trouble. The toilet was running constantly, so we had to keep the waterpump off if we weren't using it, else the bowl would fill up. I'd debug it, but I'm ready for a new one anyway (it has a couple other problems as well). It's the last annoyance in the trailer, since everything else has already been updated.

The fridge, which is brand new, wouldn't get cold. I had it running on 110v, but came back a few hours later and it still wasn't cold. I thought I had the knob turned the wrong way, so I turned it around, got up in the morning, still wasn't cold! Finally my husband was brilliant enough to realize that we weren't plugged in! We were plugged in, but the 30 amp plug had a fuse on the campground box, and it was off! So I threw the fuse, things started charging up, and the fridge started working. First time that has happened! Since most everything in the trailer is 12v, there's not really any way to know the 110v isn't working.

Oh, and the heater wasn't working, until I turned on the propane! Duh! I haven't had to use the heater since last winter, so I forgot that step!

So anyway, we saw a few plays on Thursday, Friday. Friday morning I looked out the window to see a new 16ft AS had pulled into the park! Unfortunately we were busy, so I never had a chance to go say hi to them. I would have liked to peek inside and see how they were getting on in one of the few trailers even smaller than mine!

Saturday we drove to Yreka and visited with NorCal Bambi and CaddyGrn (Don & Claudia). They were so kind as to give us the tour, show off their projects in progress (like the FC), and their wonderful home.

That afternoon we headed to Medford and picked up an 85 2.3L 4cyl Turbo engine from a thunderbird, which I am going to put in my Mustang I am restoring/modifying. Our friend Chris, who bought my SVO Mustang, hooked me up to buy the engine from a friend. So he was there too and we all got to visit as we worked together to load the motor. We tied that down in the back of the van.

Saturday night was our last play, and as we were sitting there, we hear a familiar voice say "excuse me" as they are stepping past us, and we realize it's a friend from Portland - one of the fellows who acts in our theater group! Well, we were amazed at the odds of travelling 300 miles from home and having someone you know very well sitting three seats away from you! So at intermission we were chatting when a lady comes up to me (and this is outdoors, so we were all bundled up in coats and hats because it was cold), and says "are you Stephanie with the Airstream?" Yes, I answer, with a blank look - thinking, who is this? "It's Frances!" Oh my gosh, well, those who went to Beverly Beach know Frances! She was down to see the plays too, and she spotted Dave and I, even all bundled up (I guess that's how we look at Beverly Beach every year too) all the way across the theater! So we chatted with her, she was at a nearby campground with her Airstream! So, the odds were long enough that we would run into our theater friends, but then to run into Frances too! (BTW, she says sorry she can't make BB this year, maybe next time).

So that was our wonderful weekend, visiting with Airstream, Mustang, and Theater friends, unexpectedly running into friends, and bringing home heavy car parts. Oh, and we saw some great plays too.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:52 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi stef...

well that is a great story...

sometimes the world is small and friendly...

a motorhead too?

so many hobbies so little time.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:55 PM   #3
Argosy/Airstream since 79

1989 29' Excella
Newport , Oregon
Wow, I got exhausted just reading your activities!

Hi Dave & Stef - sounds like you had a great weekend.

It's always the simplest things that tend to stump us isn't it?

We made a trip from Newport to Lincoln City today, driving by Beverly Beach State Park. Just 40 days to BBB III!

For those who want to join in, check under Forums, The Rally Zone, Forum Rallies for all the info.

jim
WBCCI #4362
Member, Oregon Unit 090
Affiliate Member, Washington Unit 112
OreExcella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Hi Steph & Dave

She's everywhere...... She's everywhere!!!!! We've seen Frances three times since the last BB rally.......once at Sisters in the "Clock Shop" on a tour with the Sisters rally group.........again at Fabric Depot in Portland.....recognized her "Woody"......and again at the International in Salem.....where we were driving around and again recognized her "Woody" ......so stopped in late to say Hi!
We'll miss her at BB III! It won't be the same without her!
We've pined about heading south this fall............but to the K-Falls area. We've never seen that area........and would love to see the area around the Lake and wetlands! We're not birders......but would have some opportunities to see some migratory activity. We have the binocs ready in the "twinky"!
Anyway.....we're gettin' itchy to travel again!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:08 AM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
If you go to Klamath Falls be sure to head a little further south and see the Tule Lake Lava Beds in CA. There are caves you can go exploring, you can rent flashlights and hardhats and maps at the ranger station. There's all levels, ones you can stroll through, and ones that make you crawl. If you ask really nice the Rangers might give you a tour of Fern Cave, which is worth the trip down there all by itself. Very interesting (and sad, of course) indian history in the area as well. And Bald Eagles by the lake at the right time of year. This was our favorite place to go while we were attending OIT in Klamath Falls.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
This thing ON????

Steph,

A quick and easy way to check to see if the 120V is working correct and the campground is wired the right way is to get a circuit checker (polarity checker). I leave mine in the outlet by the sink and when I plug in I get an instant check of the circuit to see if I have the polarity correct. It also acts as a "Yes, I am plugged in" checker. They are cheap and may one day save some of the sensitive electronics you have in the AS.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Hey Steph, some in progress pics of the Mustang would be a good motivator, at least for myself. My 70 Chevelle SS restoration is in full blown stall right now as I await the feeling to return to my arms and hands, so seeing someone else's project underway could have a healing effect.

We almost never see people we know when we go camping. Most of the folks we know have similar tastes, including camping, but it never works out that they end up in the same area as we are. It would be nice now and then to hear a familiar voice - you almost always hear a friendly voice in a campground, but familiar is nice too.

Glad you had a great weekend. When Donna gets back from Scotland we plan one last camp out and then will tuck the trailer away for the winter.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote