Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Wink get a real mattress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fin View Post
Nothing about AS says "roughing it" EXCEPT the mattress. We have the double bed with a curved corner and it's too hard! I might try a memory foam topper $$, but hubby is considering having a custom Tempurpedic made, $$$$. What have you done to improve your quality of sleep comfort? Pleeeease help, I'm more comfortable on an air mattress in a tent, yikes!!!
We tossed the OEM mattress and went with custom 9 inch foam ( two different layers of foam ) and truly can say we are sleeping on a Cloud now.
Yes ditch ( or store when you sell or trade up ), and get a real mattress .

Think about this what are you towing around isn't not a bedroom with an ensuite for the most time spent in the trailer .
LAWBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:12 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
We replaced the mattress in our 2005 Safari this year with this:
Eurotop Innerspring Mattresses - Product - Camping World
We decided we wanted a bigger trailer and when we traded the Safari in on a 30 ft. International, we had the dealer swap out the mattress.
The eurotop works well for our sleep preferences.
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:30 AM   #23
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
We spent one sleepless night on the granite mattress that came with our '11 27FB. Then we bought a 3" memory foam top from Beds Bath and Beyond. It was an improvement, and got us through our first trip last year, Dallas to Ft. Collins.

This year, before spending three weeks in the trailer, we bought a second 3" topper and added it to the first. Finally, a good nights sleep, with a total of 6" of foam now using the original mattress as a box spring. The side benefit is that the increased overall height of the mattress stack now means that standard queen sheets fit.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:47 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Agreed, you have to do something about the mattress.
We put a egg crate type UNDER a 2" memory foam mattress. Great!

Oh, I was at Aloomapalooza and the powers that be at Airstream recently had the opportunity to spend a week traveling in an Airstream. They stated, "the mattresses will be changed".
Old 10-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 22' Sport
Plano , Texas
Thanks. Looked them up at Costco. Looks like the cover is separate from the pad which would allow me to use my AS mattress pad covers that already fit the bed. Is that correct?
Deb Trimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 22' Sport
Plano , Texas
We had a 2011 Sport and now have a 2012 FC. The improvement was to make the mattress a pillow-top (about 1 inch). Slightly less hard than 2011 but they should be better in a trailer that is known for its high quality.
Deb Trimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
We have a 2012 with both a Wally 2" thin mf topper as well as a Costco 3" mf topper. My wife loves it - although a bit soft for me.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #28
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
in retrospect, what we paid for two three inch foam toppers would have probably paid for a six or eight inch foam mattress. It cost us more to do it a step at a time. What we SHOULD have done is just junk the base Airstream mattress, which is not much different than lying on a sheet of plywood, and replace it with a queen sized airbed with memory foam. We put one of those in our boat and we love it. Its totally adjustable for firmness, and the light weight makes it really easy to lift to access the compartment underneath.

We bought two of these for our catamaran:
Premier Air Bed with Memory Foam Queen @ AeroBed

and found them online for $ 180. One of the most comfortable mattresses I have ever slept on. I suspect we'll end up with a third one in the Airstream eventually. Might buy a cheaper model since we already have the foam toppers.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
1997 25' Safari
1976 25' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
AS Mattress RECALL

Wouldn't that be nice! So it finally took the "powers that be" to have a week on a stock AS bed to decide it needs to be improved?
Wonder when that might happen? You would think with so many loyal AS owners expressing dismay with their stock mattresses they would have done this long ago, if indeed they are considering it.
Too bad they don't launch a mattress recall when they do improve their stock!
Anyone out there know if AS monitors this forum to see what their customers are discussing so that they can continually improve facets of their product?
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #30
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
AS Mattress

We have a 23' International - 2010. Since purchase we have been on the roadfor about 6 months ...down to Belize, Nevada, CA, up north - quite a few miles and nights.

Last year I noticed that there was condensation on the wood base below the mattress and the beginnings of mildew. I sanded the plywood and painted it. This year i noticed that my wife was definately sleeping "uphill" of me. I'm 210 lbs and my half of the mattrress was definately sagging and or crushed.

I think I am sort of disappointed at the "quality" of this piece of AS.

Replacement was the only option. We bought a 6" thick memory foam mattress that serves quite well now. However, , we were cautioned by the shop that even memory form will get compressed over the years - especially if its not flipped. Knowing that we cant flip ours, he suggested 6" thick saying it should last 10 years. Thinner will not last 5.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 10-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

To prevent mould and mildew problems under your mattress you may want to try a liner underneath it like the one from HyperVentMarine.com or a similar product from available a Home Depot used in construction to ventilate walls.
When not in use, I would raise the mattress up on a few 2x4's to allow for drying and air circulation. This is especially important when storing it on the wet coast.
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , North Carolina
I full time in my 2009 27 FB so a comfortable bed is a must for me. I moved from a 3 bedroom house into my Airstream so the first thing I did was take out the mattress and put in my full/queen size mattress from my house. It's a generic temperpedic type mattress I have had for several years. I think I bought it for about $600 about seven years ago.

A night and day difference. As for the original mattress I have slept on concrete that was more comfortable. If you're going to spend more than a couple of days I'd at least upgrade to a foam mattress topper.
FLMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
fort Lauderdale , Florida
We recently bought a Tempurpedic "Simplicity" queen, their low end model and on closeout, had it cut down and re-stitched (at a place that does boat cuts) all for less than retail price. Since we are full timers, we thought this was well worth the cost.

Donna
Khulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Try Foam Mattresses, Mattress Pad, Round Mattress, Memory Foam Topper, Bedroom Furniture , did a great job for us, 5" premium foam and 2" of memory foam..........toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We purchased a custom 9" latex mattress thru Rocky Mountain Mattress. My Wife was having a hard time with the stock mattress from Airstream. It was expensive but we are 100% satisfied with it. After a two week trip without an aching neck or hip pain it made it worth every penny. Memory Foam Mattress | Custom Mattress | Adjustable Bed | Custom Made Mattress | Latex Bed

$299 off with free shipping!
Old 11-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
prattville , Alabama
mattress upgrade

We just replaced the mattress in our 2004 rear bedroom short queen. had a special cut multi layer foam mattress made for 697.00 three special cuts.
Very nice 8" thick. Airstream sent the schematic by email and I sent it to Mattressinsider.com fits just like the factory mattress did and feels great.
bearrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Denver Mattress Company that is a nation wide chain offers a good selection of RV mattresses including pillow tops.Has anyone out there got one?
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
We just replaced our horrible foam original foam mattress with a 12" foam mattress from costco for $399. We have two of these in our stix and brix and love them. It currently hangs off the edge a bit and I may take it to a boat shop and have them do the cut and stitch mentioned above. It is a dream to sleep on.
sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote