Old 10-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member
1997 25' Safari
Elgin , Arizona
AS Mattress RECALL

Wouldn't that be nice! So it finally took the "powers that be" to have a week on a stock AS bed to decide it needs to be improved?
Wonder when that might happen? You would think with so many loyal AS owners expressing dismay with their stock mattresses they would have done this long ago, if indeed they are considering it.
Too bad they don't launch a mattress recall when they do improve their stock!
Anyone out there know if AS monitors this forum to see what their customers are discussing so that they can continually improve facets of their product?

caseypris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member
2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
AS Mattress

We have a 23' International - 2010. Since purchase we have been on the roadfor about 6 months ...down to Belize, Nevada, CA, up north - quite a few miles and nights.

Last year I noticed that there was condensation on the wood base below the mattress and the beginnings of mildew. I sanded the plywood and painted it. This year i noticed that my wife was definately sleeping "uphill" of me. I'm 210 lbs and my half of the mattrress was definately sagging and or crushed.

I think I am sort of disappointed at the "quality" of this piece of AS.

Replacement was the only option. We bought a 6" thick memory foam mattress that serves quite well now. However, , we were cautioned by the shop that even memory form will get compressed over the years - especially if its not flipped. Knowing that we cant flip ours, he suggested 6" thick saying it should last 10 years. Thinner will not last 5.

"All that is mine, I carry with me." Cicero
RMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member
To prevent mould and mildew problems under your mattress you may want to try a liner underneath it like the one from or a similar product from available a Home Depot used in construction to ventilate walls.
When not in use, I would raise the mattress up on a few 2x4's to allow for drying and air circulation. This is especially important when storing it on the wet coast.
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member
2009 27' FB International
_ , Florida
I full time in my 2009 27 FB so a comfortable bed is a must for me. I moved from a 3 bedroom house into my Airstream so the first thing I did was take out the mattress and put in my full/queen size mattress from my house. It's a generic temperpedic type mattress I have had for several years. I think I bought it for about $600 about seven years ago.

A night and day difference. As for the original mattress I have slept on concrete that was more comfortable. If you're going to spend more than a couple of days I'd at least upgrade to a foam mattress topper.
FLMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member
2011 30' International
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
We recently bought a Tempurpedic "Simplicity" queen, their low end model and on closeout, had it cut down and re-stitched (at a place that does boat cuts) all for less than retail price. Since we are full timers, we thought this was well worth the cost.

Khulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Try Foam Mattresses, Mattress Pad, Round Mattress, Memory Foam Topper, Bedroom Furniture , did a great job for us, 5" premium foam and 2" of memory foam..........toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member
2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We purchased a custom 9" latex mattress thru Rocky Mountain Mattress. My Wife was having a hard time with the stock mattress from Airstream. It was expensive but we are 100% satisfied with it. After a two week trip without an aching neck or hip pain it made it worth every penny. Memory Foam Mattress | Custom Mattress | Adjustable Bed | Custom Made Mattress | Latex Bed

$299 off with free shipping!
John & Lisa
Woosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member
2004 25' Safari
prattville , Alabama
mattress upgrade

We just replaced the mattress in our 2004 rear bedroom short queen. had a special cut multi layer foam mattress made for 697.00 three special cuts.
Very nice 8" thick. Airstream sent the schematic by email and I sent it to fits just like the factory mattress did and feels great.
bearrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #37
Rivet Master
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Denver Mattress Company that is a nation wide chain offers a good selection of RV mattresses including pillow tops.Has anyone out there got one?
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member
2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
We just replaced our horrible foam original foam mattress with a 12" foam mattress from costco for $399. We have two of these in our stix and brix and love them. It currently hangs off the edge a bit and I may take it to a boat shop and have them do the cut and stitch mentioned above. It is a dream to sleep on.

sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote