Old 10-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fin View Post
I already have 2 of the three layers you mentioned, so it makes sense to give it a try! I imagine it looks very "princess in the pea" with all the layers, but I LOVE a snuggly bed! Thanks for your help!
PO of ours must have needed a very soft bed, had two layers of foam on std airstream queen, we found it too soft, took of the middle layer 1.5 inchs reg foam, so 1.5 inches of memory foam works for us. You might want to try one layer at a time.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
We threw away our stock AS mattress and put in a regular size queen mattress. Much better. Of course it is now a bit cramped getting around the sides in the bedroom but that is worth it for the much better sleep quality, and all the fitted sheets fit like they are supposed to.

You might try a local mattress company in your area, there must be some. Tucson has A-1 mattress, they make them right here in town. They can custom make 1 any size and were cheaper than all the national brands and chains. I bet if you looked you might be able to find a similar local company in your area that could make you one that would be much better than the AS mattress and less expensive than a custom national brand.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 22' Sport
Plano , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASwifey View Post
We never even took the plastic off of the mattress that came with our tailer. In our last trailer we replaced the mattress after our first trip. Those things are horrible!

Costco has a very nice 12 inch memory foam mattress that is easily cut with an electric knife. Just unzip the cover, cut a few inches off, round the corners and zip it back up. The cover will be a little big after that, but with a fitted sheet on, no one will ever see it. It's a third of the cost of a Tempurpedic, and very comparable in comfort.
What size is the mattress from Costco? We have 2 twins that are 36" by 78".
Old 10-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
They have them in all standard sizes. Check out costco.com. The brand name that we have is Novaform Pure Comfort.

I do yoga to relieve stress, just kidding I drink wine in yoga pants
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Quote:
Nothing about AS says "roughing it" EXCEPT the mattress. We have the double bed with a curved corner and it's too hard! I might try a memory foam topper $$, but hubby is considering having a custom Tempurpedic made, $$$$. What have you done to improve your quality of sleep comfort? Pleeeease help, I'm more comfortable on an air mattress in a tent, yikes!!!
I went to Lands End online and bought a 3 " SensorPedic foam mattress pad-40% off and free shipping made it more affordable. We both like it and it fits the AS stock mattress with just a little extra length that I pull around under the mattress with the sheet.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Try Amazon for memory foam toppers...

We bought a 2" memory foam topper from Amazon seller for way less than $100, including delivery. Less expensive there or Overstock.com than brick and mortar stores, though even WalMart sells them for ~ $100.. As you shop, realize they come in 4 thicknesses (1" to 4") and 3 densities (3# , 4# or 5# - really heavy..). Easy to trim to fit, including curves for trailer side walls if needed.

One key is that Airstream Queen works with "Twin size topper" and two Airstream twins can be covered by "Full size topper".. The Airstream Queen beds (older versions at least..) are only a couple inches wider than standard twin mattress.. A queen size topper would be too large to fit any mattress AIrstream ever put in a trailer...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Victoria , British Columbia
Wink get a real mattress

Quote:
Nothing about AS says "roughing it" EXCEPT the mattress. We have the double bed with a curved corner and it's too hard! I might try a memory foam topper $$, but hubby is considering having a custom Tempurpedic made, $$$$. What have you done to improve your quality of sleep comfort? Pleeeease help, I'm more comfortable on an air mattress in a tent, yikes!!!
We tossed the OEM mattress and went with custom 9 inch foam ( two different layers of foam ) and truly can say we are sleeping on a Cloud now.
Yes ditch ( or store when you sell or trade up ), and get a real mattress .

Think about this what are you towing around isn't not a bedroom with an ensuite for the most time spent in the trailer .
Old 10-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
We replaced the mattress in our 2005 Safari this year with this:
Eurotop Innerspring Mattresses - Product - Camping World
We decided we wanted a bigger trailer and when we traded the Safari in on a 30 ft. International, we had the dealer swap out the mattress.
The eurotop works well for our sleep preferences.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #23
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
We spent one sleepless night on the granite mattress that came with our '11 27FB. Then we bought a 3" memory foam top from Beds Bath and Beyond. It was an improvement, and got us through our first trip last year, Dallas to Ft. Collins.

This year, before spending three weeks in the trailer, we bought a second 3" topper and added it to the first. Finally, a good nights sleep, with a total of 6" of foam now using the original mattress as a box spring. The side benefit is that the increased overall height of the mattress stack now means that standard queen sheets fit.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Agreed, you have to do something about the mattress.
We put a egg crate type UNDER a 2" memory foam mattress. Great!

Oh, I was at Aloomapalooza and the powers that be at Airstream recently had the opportunity to spend a week traveling in an Airstream. They stated, "the mattresses will be changed".
Old 10-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 22' Sport
Plano , Texas
Thanks. Looked them up at Costco. Looks like the cover is separate from the pad which would allow me to use my AS mattress pad covers that already fit the bed. Is that correct?
Old 10-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 22' Sport
Plano , Texas
We had a 2011 Sport and now have a 2012 FC. The improvement was to make the mattress a pillow-top (about 1 inch). Slightly less hard than 2011 but they should be better in a trailer that is known for its high quality.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
We have a 2012 with both a Wally 2" thin mf topper as well as a Costco 3" mf topper. My wife loves it - although a bit soft for me.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #28
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
in retrospect, what we paid for two three inch foam toppers would have probably paid for a six or eight inch foam mattress. It cost us more to do it a step at a time. What we SHOULD have done is just junk the base Airstream mattress, which is not much different than lying on a sheet of plywood, and replace it with a queen sized airbed with memory foam. We put one of those in our boat and we love it. Its totally adjustable for firmness, and the light weight makes it really easy to lift to access the compartment underneath.

We bought two of these for our catamaran:
Premier Air Bed with Memory Foam Queen @ AeroBed

and found them online for $ 180. One of the most comfortable mattresses I have ever slept on. I suspect we'll end up with a third one in the Airstream eventually. Might buy a cheaper model since we already have the foam toppers.