Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2016, 06:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
The Airstream is under attack!

Timeline: 21 September 2016 7:23 am. Crater Lake National Park, Mazama Campground.

It was a cool morning in Crater Lake. My Wife and I are about to get up and enjoy another beautiful day. Suddenly, we hear a sound. Klunk Klunk. Did you hear that said the Wife. Yes, yes I did. Then, there it was again. Klunk. Out I go to take a look around and I notice that these small pincones are dropping from the tree above our site. About fifty feet up is a squirrel cutting the the cones off and letting them drop to the ground Most are hitting the ground but some are ricocheing off the aft end of the trailer. These pinecones aren't quite the density of a rock but the ones that had not opened were darn close. I go back inside and grab the comforter and steal the dog blanket from the dogs. I throw the blankets on the back the trailer to soften the blow. To add insult to injury Mr Squirrell scores a direct hit on my Noggin which knocks me a little silly. Finally after ten of fifteen minutes the attack ceases. Flo has some new dents although not as bad as it could have been.

Wife has taken it in stride and takes it for the humor value. I bummed about the dents, but it is kind of funny.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
What, no video?

Ouch!
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:58 PM   #3
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Your story is more entertaining than mine. Investigating the bang on my roof this AM revealed a four inch diameter, 10 feet long branch had fallen out of the trees overhead. My end cap and refrigerator vent cover are now seriously dented. At least the end cap dent appears to be somewhat reversible with a large suction cup and is not visible unless you are driving behind me. I feel your aggravation!

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I had that happening at a park in north Georgia last year. Some kind of hard walnut type. Every time I stepped out the squirrels would start barking at me. No damage done but was sure annoying.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:19 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

You know, you can eat squirrel...
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrmyWeather View Post
Only had a .45 with me. Might be a bit messy.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:46 PM   #7
Paul Zmann

Currently Looking...
Garland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Only had a .45 with me. Might be a bit messy.
That's why I carry a .38 don't want overkill! I only have a six round clip, but I carry 2 spares. I'm sure I could waste that little perp, he would have been pushing up Daisy's. Actually that's what the pellet riffle is for. I hate those little fluffy tailed rats.
Paul Zmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
The woe's of having aluminum roofs vs fiberglass

When I first start reading this I thought it was going to be another hail story about a totaled out Airstream....glad to know it was just pine cones and not totaled!!

Well here is another kind of "attack story" to share. In July I spent 2 weeks at a beautiful water front campsite on Jackson Lake near Jackson, GA off I-75. Plans were to leave early for the drive (650 miles) to Ft. Lauderdale where I would spend the winter at a marina. Arrived at 9pm and immediately leveled with power connected. It has 2 roof units so both were on full blast to cool down the interior. Meantime I put the tow vehicle away and secured the hitch. Later went into the bedroom and found THOUSANDS of ants on the bed and more blowing out of the roof air unit!! Apparently they had been living in my roof unit parked under a pine tree and had decided to come to Florida with me....uninvited!!

Needless to say...between a bug bomb, full can of Raid, a wet/dry vacuum, and wet paper towels...I spent the next 2 days cleaning up dead ants all over the bedroom. Good news is they were only in the rear unit. Once set up in FL I decided to be more proactive and treat the site for ants and pay more attention to places they are found. So far so good.....at least no more infestation attacks
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I had the same problem for the last few years, where we rent a lot in FL. Our squirrel attack always happened at sunrise. I'm a late sleeper, so some body had to go! But, a family of new squirrels always took up residence in a just few days.
My next door neighbor and I finally got the park owner to let us cut down the pine tree.

I have a lizard story too. Don't know where the eggs were but we had a hatch of 20 or more little babies that were driving my wife mad. Took a few days to get them to move out.

A tree frog story.....

An ant invasion.... and another... and another....

2" Palmetto bugs (a roach on steroids) that bite when you set on them.....

A skunk my sister petted....

Living in the rural south can be an adventure!
Old 09-25-2016, 08:00 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Last week at Acadia national Park Blackwoods campground we came under a similar squirrel attack bombarding the top of our AS at dawn.
Our campsite was littered with small pinecones each of which was oozing pine sap which was quite sticky.
Tracking sticky stuff on the bottoms of our shoes into the trailer was not fun and the worst part was that our poor dogs' paws were covered with the sticky resin which aggravated than immensely.
whitegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:32 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . me thinks y'all need to move out here to Arizona. . . we only have scorpions & snakes to worry about. . . regards, Craig
Old 09-25-2016, 10:10 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinManGa View Post
Hi from AZ. . . me thinks y'all need to move out here to Arizona. . . we only have scorpions & snakes to worry about. . . regards, Craig
Not many people realize there are scorpions in the southeast, at least 3 or 4 species. I've seen a Southern Devil a few times.
There are so many poisonous and non poisonous snakes in the southeast that they are not uncommon to see. I read a few times per year about a local person being bit. I had an up close and personal experience with a 7' rattler when I was at Ft Stuart GA. I don't sleep on the ground any more!
Now we have to worry about constrictors. I saw a 20'+ snake skin last year in FL.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:16 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrmyWeather View Post
Not since they were found out to be high in cholesterol....
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:15 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Not many people realize there are scorpions in the southeast, at least 3 or 4 species. I've seen a Southern Devil a few times.
There are so many poisonous and non poisonous snakes in the southeast that they are not uncommon to see. I read a few times per year about a local person being bit. I had an up close and personal experience with a 7' rattler when I was at Ft Stuart GA. I don't sleep on the ground any more!
Now we have to worry about constrictors. I saw a 20'+ snake skin last year in FL.
Venomous. Unless you are eating them.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:18 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstream View Post
Not since they were found out to be high in cholesterol....
If you love squirrel, you'll be happy to know that dietary cholesterol does not affect your blood cholesterol levels in any way. Your blood cholesterol is created only by your body.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:25 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
At least snakes don't put dents in your silver bullet.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:44 PM   #17
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
squirrels

We camped at Tahquamenon Falls State Park in Michigan this summer, pulled in, hooked up and were sitting inside with the screen door shut when a squirrel climbed up the screen and looked in the trailer, twice, trying to find a way inside! I was waiting for the third try with a bottle of Windex but he never tried again. I've seen them wreck havoc inside scouts tents when food was left inside and wouldn't want to think what they could to to an Airstream, Scouts refer to them as "mini-bears". Rangers frown on shooting guns in the campground so I figured a shot of Windex might be a good deterrent.

My 2013 Tundra has had the wiring harness replaced twice because of squirrels eating the insulation $5,500 insurance claim each time. "Modern" wiring is soy based instead of petroleum and rodents think it is food. I ask the insurance adjuster and she said they see it all the time and in all makes of vehicles! After the second time my Toyota dealer wrapped the entire under hood wiring harness with an electrical tape laced with pepper spray (made by Honda).
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Never too soon to prepare for winter.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:38 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Hillsboro , Texas
Way too funny

I am sorry the way you told that story was way too funny!!
Everyone after entraining also.
This form can be so much fun.

Still laughing

Meschelle
meschelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:39 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
1985 25' Sovereign
LaGrange Highlands , Illinois
Y dident U take the dog out and have him bark to run the squirrel off.
rmatkovich is offline   Reply With Quote