Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2015, 12:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Looks like a blast! Enjoy! We were down there last April and had a great time, it was much warmer there than up here in Colorado!
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:28 PM   #22

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Paul , Minnesota
Nice shots. Jealous you can still take her out. In MN our baby is put away for the season. Dan & Dan
Borderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:46 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou View Post
What campground is that? We often go to Texas for great state parks.
Charlene
Hi, Frank and Mike! I am also curious, because the photos show the park being so empty on a holiday -- I need to know what that is, because the same cannot be said for many destinations around Houston!!

The photos are tagged as LCRA (Lower Colorado River Authority), but I can't tell *which* LCRA (there are over 40 parks)!

--All the best from Alison and Lawrence in League City.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:59 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Cibolo , Texas
Spent Thanksgiving at Lockhart State Park with family and friends and had camp fire three nights. Did drive back to Cibolo to join daughters for a great dinner. The park was full but I was the only one there with an Airstream. The holidays are a great time to spend camping and I will be at Kerrville City Park with family and friends and my AS for Christmas week end. Hope to see some of you there.
GailMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:03 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou View Post
What campground is that? We often go to Texas for great state parks.
Charlene
It is an LCRA park, Lake Bastrop North Shore Park:

North Shore Park

Our camping experience has always been wonderful at LCRA parks. They're always very clean, nicely maintained, nice amenities and near other activities.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:05 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Hi, Frank and Mike! I am also curious, because the photos show the park being so empty on a holiday -- I need to know what that is, because the same cannot be said for many destinations around Houston!!

The photos are tagged as LCRA (Lower Colorado River Authority), but I can't tell *which* LCRA (there are over 40 parks)!

--All the best from Alison and Lawrence in League City.
We camped at Lake Bastrop North Shore Park:

North Shore Park

All sites were taken except for 1 site. We first checked on the South Shore Park but it was booked full when we checked the end of October. This was our first time to camp here but we definitely will return again, especially this summer because they have a very well kept swim beach, kayaks and canoes for rent, a very nice place to camp.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:07 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscraw View Post
Hi Frank and Mike!
Good to see you chaps are out and enjoying our unusual Texas Thanksgiving weather!
We met you in Johnson City earlier this year when we took out Classic MH out for a sprint. Are you going to be at Blanco SP as we'd certainly like to catch-up with you'all again?
Chris and Carmen
Hi Chris and Carmen. We won't be at the Blanco Christmas Rally. Past years have been a great time at this rally ... but just too many activities going on this year. Would be fun to connect and camp soon though.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:11 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayRocks View Post
Looks like a fun trip, even in spite of rain! What campground is your favorite in Texas?
Our favorite place to camp in Texas is the area around Garner State Park:

Garner State Park — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department
Old 11-29-2015, 07:14 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post
Nice shots. Jealous you can still take her out. In MN our baby is put away for the season. Dan & Dan
I would find it challenging to put it away any time during the year. But I can understand where it must be necessary where the weather just doesn't permit camping.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:15 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDave View Post
Thanks for sharing your Thanksgiving adventure. Camping in the rain can actually be very relaxing. The sound of the rain on the trailer is awesome. Gotta love Buc-ees.

We're right down I-35 from you guys in Temple. Our '71 Sovereign is actually in our workshop in Salado. You guys will have to come see our project sometime.
We're only 45 minutes south of you in Georgetown. We would definitely enjoy seeing your '71 Sovereign. Our first Airstream was a 1967 Tradewind International ... I still miss that Airstream. I'm sure your Airstream is beautiful and I would love to see it.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:17 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailMac View Post
Spent Thanksgiving at Lockhart State Park with family and friends and had camp fire three nights. Did drive back to Cibolo to join daughters for a great dinner. The park was full but I was the only one there with an Airstream. The holidays are a great time to spend camping and I will be at Kerrville City Park with family and friends and my AS for Christmas week end. Hope to see some of you there.
Lockhart State Park is a beautiful little park. We camped there this summer and had a great time at the pool. We checked availability for Thanksgiving but we waited too late ... it was fully booked with reservations.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:22 PM   #32
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Great photos, so lucky to be out. We winterized last wednesday. Hope to be out by March.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:31 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
Great photos, so lucky to be out. We winterized last wednesday. Hope to be out by March.
Well, maybe the months will pass quickly between now and March. It's probably a good thing we don't have to put ours away for months ... because knowing myself as I do ... I'd be out spending money on things for the Airstream in preparation for the upcoming camping season and tinkering with it ... which probably wouldn't be good on my pocket book.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:56 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
Our favorite place to camp in Texas is the area around Garner State Park:

Garner State Park — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department
A few weeks ago when Garner was discussed on my social media feed, responders noted that the reservation wait time for the park itself is now running around 330 days.

Where else "around" Garner would you recommend?
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:37 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Houston , Texas
I was also out this weekend--camping at the Texas Renaissance Festival. Front blew through Friday night and rest of the weekend was cold, misty and wet. But we had a great time.
Chilicook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:28 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
A few weeks ago when Garner was discussed on my social media feed, responders noted that the reservation wait time for the park itself is now running around 330 days.

Where else "around" Garner would you recommend?
For us, where else around Garner then becomes more dependent on the time of the year (activities quickly become limited by the weather because most activities in that part of the state involve floating rivers). There are several nice privately owned campgrounds very near Garner State Park. In fact, we've never been successful getting reservations at Garner State Park so we have always ended up in privately owned campgrounds when we visit that area.

Other favorite destinations in the central/southwest Texas area include:

Canyon of the Eages
Canyon of the Eagles Nature Park

Palmetto State Park
Palmetto State Park — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

Inks Lake State Park
Inks Lake State Park — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

Bastrop State Park
Bastrop State Park — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

Pedernales State Park
Pedernales Falls State Park — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

Blanco State Park
Blanco State Park — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department
Old 11-30-2015, 08:31 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilicook View Post
I was also out this weekend--camping at the Texas Renaissance Festival. Front blew through Friday night and rest of the weekend was cold, misty and wet. But we had a great time.
That always sounds like a fun event. Do they allow generators into the camping area?
Old 12-01-2015, 04:05 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Cibolo , Texas
Check out Kerrville City Park. It started out as a State Park. Full-Hookups, Pull Through, By Guadalupe River or West Side (Deer Field Loop), (830) 257-5392. Near H.E.B. and Wall-Mart. Be sure to check out Buzzie's B.B.Q. and Cracker Barrel for Breakfast.
GailMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:23 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailMac View Post
Check out Kerrville City Park. It started out as a State Park. Full-Hookups, Pull Through, By Guadalupe River or West Side (Deer Field Loop), (830) 257-5392. Near H.E.B. and Wall-Mart. Be sure to check out Buzzie's B.B.Q. and Cracker Barrel for Breakfast.
I never knew that park existed. Thanks for sharing the information. It looks like a great place to go. Thanks again.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:13 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
We do Garner in the off season there are some great hiking trails there and geocaching. Week before thanksgiving and between Xmas and new years not crowded at all. Will be there this year after Xmas there are still open sites. The key to Texas state parks are to reserve early.
A lot of the parks are closed for a few days at a time for game management during hunting season. No camping allowed even if you are hunting there.
thehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote