Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2008, 05:40 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Portland , Maine
THANKS -- Military RV Parks

I just really want to thank everyone who noted I was military, and posted comments on my thread or send me private notes to look into RV parks on base. WOW!! What a great tip! After some snooping the MWR shop on base and some strategic googling, I've turned up a few great websites and an print guide to military RV parks. What a GREAT deal! They're figuring heavily into my Florida-to-Maine plans for this summer. And as a bonus, my guide lists golf courses on base too... ah, leave... Anyway, THANKS!

Hayley
iHayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:40 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHayley
And as a bonus, my guide lists golf courses on base too... ah, leave... Anyway, THANKS!

Hayley
Important career tip: The captain always wins...
Old 05-25-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
How ya like it down there at Fort Gordon? Gotta be better than Stewart.

Steve
Old 05-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Just in case you missed it:

U.S. ArmyMWR - Paths Across America

Thanks for serving.

mike
cwo3, USCG (ret.)
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:13 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Portland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Important career tip: The captain always wins...
Haha, you know, it's funny -- we have these golf "tournaments" at work. It's really an excuse for the officers and Chiefs to get out every once and a while and get some "quality time" in. It's always hysterical see who winds up in the Captain's foursome. The Master Chief is normally with him, and he's your classic old-school, abrupt to the point of vulgarity, bristle-ly type. Captain'll take a shot, and a clutch of young officers around him will all sound off with "Nice one, Sir," "Good shot, Sir," "Well done, Sir," and the Master Chief finishes with, "I thought it sucked."
Old 05-26-2008, 05:18 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Portland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
How ya like it down there at Fort Gordon? Gotta be better than Stewart.

Steve
Hey Steve! Are you at Stewart now? Actually, I don't care for Gordon at all, to be honest. It's home of the Signal Corps (blech) and it's a big AIT base (double-blech). Being a Sailor in Army Country is never much fun. I'm constantly either being saluted or ignored. Army guys don't really know what to make of Chief Petty Officers. Plus just the whole AIT atmosphere. We -- the Navy unit here, that is -- share the same medical clinics, chow halls, gyms, etc with the AIT students, so we constantly have problems with folks treating us the same way they do the students. The younger sailors think they're being treated that way because they're sailors, and the don't realize that's how the Army treats it's AIT troops.

People walk up to me all the time on base and ask me what I'm doing there, if you can believe it. Some guy walked up to me in the Commissary the other day, looked over the top of his glasses at me, and said sternly, "You know, this is an ARMY Commissary." I couldn't believe it. RUDE! I put on a look of mock surprise, looked around quickly, and then said, "What?? I thought I was in Charleston!!"

Hayley
Old 05-26-2008, 05:19 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Portland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s
Just in case you missed it:

U.S. ArmyMWR - Paths Across America

Thanks for serving.

mike
cwo3, USCG (ret.)

OH! I didn't have that one yet, thanks!!
Old 05-26-2008, 07:02 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
People walk up to me all the time on base and ask me what I'm doing there, if you can believe it. Some guy walked up to me in the Commissary the other day, looked over the top of his glasses at me, and said sternly, "You know, this is an ARMY Commissary."

Hayley
That's when you give him your best "I outrank you" stare, and tell him, "We can change that!"
I got similar treatment years ago when I had business at the Air Force base in Tampa (MacDill, not that it matters). I was an engineer on a ship at the time. I was in their PX picking up a few items when one of the other patrons walked up to me, and said, "you know, this is for military personel, buddy" I looked him straight in the eye, and said, "That's 'Lt. Commander Buddy' to you, private" He got the message, since he was not a private, and hastily exercised the better part of valor...
Old 05-26-2008, 10:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
....Some guy walked up to me in the Commissary the other day, looked over the top of his glasses at me, and said sternly, "You know, this is an ARMY Commissary." I couldn't believe it. RUDE! I put on a look of mock surprise, looked around quickly, and then said, "What?? I thought I was in Charleston!!" Hayley
If you look a little crazed, like most of us Vietnam vets, no one ever asks if you're authorized! Of course, this was the Navy standard 35-10 look in those days, wasn't it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8370 camera smile-s.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	61003

Zep
Old 05-26-2008, 09:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Hayley,

Here's a site that I like to use for Military RV Parks.

U.S. Military Campgrounds

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote