Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2016, 07:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
San Anselmo , California
Thank you TPMS, no thanks Airstream

2500 miles and two months into our travels in our 2016 27' FB International Serenity, with dealership-installed Michelin LTX 225/75 R16 tires and the TST TPMS system, when we crossed into Idaho, the TPMS started to warn us.

Tire pressure dropped from 80 to 15 in 10 seconds and we were barely able to clear the interstate, with vehicles passing us at 80 mph. I came prepared with a heavy duty electric impact gun so, tire replacement went quickly. We found a small town tire shop and the closest tire they could find within 20 miles was a Cooper Discoverer LT all terrain.

I've read Forum stories of tires shredding and causing catastrophic damage to the trailer, so a big thumbs up for our TPMS! If it wasn't for this device we would be telling our own expensive horror story. Now for the rest of the story...

The tire had no visible damage upon side-of-highway inspection. No visible nails or screws. At the tire shop, however, when the tire was removed from the rim, the bead of the tire (the part which seals the air to the rim) was ripped severely, causing the interior sidewall belts to weaken and create an imminent bulge. I spent 30 years teaching upcoming automotive technicians how to mount and dismount tires from rims, and I know that when using the tire machine, certain precautions must be taken. But this type of damage would actually jam the machine and be VERY visible to the operator.

Whoever was mounting these tires saw the problem and either disregarded the damage for fear of reprimand, or they were just flat lazy, passing the eventual results on to the new owner.

Of course I called the GM of the Airstream dealership and he promised to make all costs right and replace the tire. We were very lucky, as things could have gone much worse. Moral? Ya just never know. Prepare as much as possible for every eventuality and hope that those you do business with have integrity.
ondaroadagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:31 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Commerce , Texas
Which TST system do you have?
billymyers56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:52 PM   #3
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Boy are you lucky, not sure what system you are talking about, but sounds like I might need it.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
"No thanks Airstream"
Curious, you seem to be blaming Airstream for possibly the dealer caused problem. What are you blaming Airstream for?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
I'm thinking the takeaway from this is that tpms is a very good idea.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:44 AM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
TPMS, don't leave home without one on the AS.

Glad it's just a tire issue.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
San Anselmo , California
Smile

You nailed it Mike, thanks!
Old 07-29-2016, 08:57 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
San Anselmo , California
To those of you who asked, TST is a company that has been mentioned here on the forum and can be found in a search. They have several models, including a removable sensor over each valve stem, or a "pass through" type.

The important point that Mike brought out is this or any system, for that matter, can save you a bundle of money, headaches, or potentially your life...preventive money well spent!
Old 07-29-2016, 03:00 PM   #9
Airjeep

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Zurich , Ontario
Was the TPMS factory or after market installed?
Airjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I buy my tires online then pay my local guy to mount and balance. So it's not cheap, he won't do it for free, but he has had the same shop in the same place for over 30 years for a reason.

I guess my point is more directed to those tire outlets who mount for free, well I had that job when I was a kid. No thanks.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Does anyone know if A$ buys the tires already mounted on the rims?
I would be checking the other tires as well as the spare.
I have been dealing with the same tire shop for 20 years. I only trust one of the employees to do the job right. If there is someone different doing the job, I watch closely and the double check their work, ie torquing the lug nuts.
I recently help a fellow camper with his brand new SOB. Their first trip out and the circuit breaker kept tripping when they tried to run the AC. I found the shore power hot leg was wired to a 15 amp breaker. There was a 30 amp in the panel. You never know what comes out of the factory. Just because it says A$ on the outside doesn't mean it is any higher quality. IMHO
There is a video on the "How it's Made" show. It depicts an A$ being built. If the do such a good job of sealing things. Why are there so many newer coaches with leaks?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:04 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
San Anselmo , California
We researched the TST 507rv-non-flowthrough sensor with replaceable batteries in the sensors. Each sensor is screwed onto the valve stem with a special supplied wrench so theft is reduced. For our 27'fb serenity a repeater was not necessary. The dashboard on our 2016 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 looks like a 747, so we decided to mount the suction cup monitor to the passenger rear window, and angle it so the driver and passenger can easily look back at temperature and pressure readings as they cycle. Our front window also has a 6" color rear airstream video monitor keeping us aware of the invisible vehicles approaching from behind.

It's very reasuring to know the TST system is constantly alert to sudden background changes making our road time more pleasurable and safe.

Do your homework and choose the best for your needs.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:24 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Still on the road, and after turning over 10,000 miles so far, my TST TOM provides an invaluable comfort level while towing our AS. Especially while traveling through remote areas of Canada and Alaska where a blowout could be a huge inconvenience.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:37 AM   #14
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
Ive been seriously considering a system as Im hauling one of the last 23's that only have single wheels .... I think you've convinced me to pull the trigger before I head south this year. Last fall I installed Maxxis tries (very happy) and I'm constantly checking them but loosing a tire at 60mph is a little scary!! Thanks
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:46 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Does anyone know if A$ buys the tires already mounted on the rims?
I would be checking the other tires as well as the spare.
I have been dealing with the same tire shop for 20 years. I only trust one of the employees to do the job right. If there is someone different doing the job, I watch closely and the double check their work, ie torquing the lug nuts.
I recently help a fellow camper with his brand new SOB. Their first trip out and the circuit breaker kept tripping when they tried to run the AC. I found the shore power hot leg was wired to a 15 amp breaker. There was a 30 amp in the panel. You never know what comes out of the factory. Just because it says A$ on the outside doesn't mean it is any higher quality. IMHO
There is a video on the "How it's Made" show. It depicts an A$ being built. If the do such a good job of sealing things. Why are there so many newer coaches with leaks?
We were at Jackson Center in May and i seen 100's of tires and rims all ready mounted and in shrink wrap stored outside one of the building so I would say they buy them mounted
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:29 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Oh no, I googled TST and it sent me to testosterone boosters!! I know I'll regret it.
But, anyway, is there a website you recommend for these? We'll be traveling to Glacier, Yellowstone and Tetons from Pittsburgh in 2 weeks. This sounds like a "must have".
Thanks.
FranM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:45 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondaroadagin View Post
We researched the TST 507rv-non-flowthrough sensor with replaceable batteries in the sensors. Each sensor is screwed onto the valve stem with a special supplied wrench so theft is reduced. For our 27'fb serenity a repeater was not necessary. The dashboard on our 2016 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 looks like a 747, so we decided to mount the suction cup monitor to the passenger rear window, and angle it so the driver and passenger can easily look back at temperature and pressure readings as they cycle. Our front window also has a 6" color rear airstream video monitor keeping us aware of the invisible vehicles approaching from behind.

It's very reasuring to know the TST system is constantly alert to sudden background changes making our road time more pleasurable and safe.

Do your homework and choose the best for your needs.
ondaroadagin, thanks for posting this information. I've been thinking about it for awhile and have starting to do the research. I noticed that TST has for the 507 both the flow thru and a starter kit which appears to be a non flow thru.

The non flow thru appears to require removal of the sensor to add air while the flow thru allows for it. Would you mind sharing any pros/cons for flow thru/non flow thru that you found in your research?

Many thanks

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:13 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranM View Post
Oh no, I googled TST and it sent me to testosterone boosters!! I know I'll regret it.
But, anyway, is there a website you recommend for these? We'll be traveling to Glacier, Yellowstone and Tetons from Pittsburgh in 2 weeks. This sounds like a "must have".
Thanks.
If you do not come across one of their reps on the road and a couple are members here you can buy direct from TST.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:44 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranM View Post
But, anyway, is there a website you recommend for these?
Amazon has competitive prices with reviewer comments.
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I wonder who did the tire work for the dealer? Usually AS dealers don't mount and dismount tires to wheels, at least that's my experience,
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote