Old 07-30-2016, 09:46 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Does anyone know if A$ buys the tires already mounted on the rims?
I would be checking the other tires as well as the spare.
I have been dealing with the same tire shop for 20 years. I only trust one of the employees to do the job right. If there is someone different doing the job, I watch closely and the double check their work, ie torquing the lug nuts.
I recently help a fellow camper with his brand new SOB. Their first trip out and the circuit breaker kept tripping when they tried to run the AC. I found the shore power hot leg was wired to a 15 amp breaker. There was a 30 amp in the panel. You never know what comes out of the factory. Just because it says A$ on the outside doesn't mean it is any higher quality. IMHO
There is a video on the "How it's Made" show. It depicts an A$ being built. If the do such a good job of sealing things. Why are there so many newer coaches with leaks?
We were at Jackson Center in May and i seen 100's of tires and rims all ready mounted and in shrink wrap stored outside one of the building so I would say they buy them mounted

Old 07-31-2016, 09:29 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Washington , Pennsylvania
Oh no, I googled TST and it sent me to testosterone boosters!! I know I'll regret it.
But, anyway, is there a website you recommend for these? We'll be traveling to Glacier, Yellowstone and Tetons from Pittsburgh in 2 weeks. This sounds like a "must have".
Thanks.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:45 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondaroadagin View Post
We researched the TST 507rv-non-flowthrough sensor with replaceable batteries in the sensors. Each sensor is screwed onto the valve stem with a special supplied wrench so theft is reduced. For our 27'fb serenity a repeater was not necessary. The dashboard on our 2016 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 looks like a 747, so we decided to mount the suction cup monitor to the passenger rear window, and angle it so the driver and passenger can easily look back at temperature and pressure readings as they cycle. Our front window also has a 6" color rear airstream video monitor keeping us aware of the invisible vehicles approaching from behind.

It's very reasuring to know the TST system is constantly alert to sudden background changes making our road time more pleasurable and safe.

Do your homework and choose the best for your needs.
ondaroadagin, thanks for posting this information. I've been thinking about it for awhile and have starting to do the research. I noticed that TST has for the 507 both the flow thru and a starter kit which appears to be a non flow thru.

The non flow thru appears to require removal of the sensor to add air while the flow thru allows for it. Would you mind sharing any pros/cons for flow thru/non flow thru that you found in your research?

Many thanks

Bob
Old 07-31-2016, 10:13 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranM View Post
Oh no, I googled TST and it sent me to testosterone boosters!! I know I'll regret it.
But, anyway, is there a website you recommend for these? We'll be traveling to Glacier, Yellowstone and Tetons from Pittsburgh in 2 weeks. This sounds like a "must have".
Thanks.
If you do not come across one of their reps on the road and a couple are members here you can buy direct from TST.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:44 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Marin , California
Quote:
But, anyway, is there a website you recommend for these?
Amazon has competitive prices with reviewer comments.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I wonder who did the tire work for the dealer? Usually AS dealers don't mount and dismount tires to wheels, at least that's my experience,
Old 07-31-2016, 02:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Port Dover , Ontario
Quote:
Thanks.
I purchased directly from TST and found them great to deal with. I have a single axle AS and needed two for the road tires and one for the spare and they made a special kit for me with three sensors. (I wanted to monitor the spare for inflation as with only one axle I can't limp off the highway with a flat and want to be sure the spare is ready to go.

I preferred the 507 as the sensors can be installed on rubber valve stems and I can replace the batteries myself instead of returning them for replacement with the other sensor.
WBCCI #6497

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:20 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I have never yet had a tire problem since we have our TPMS in operation,but nevertheless, I do always appreciate the fact that it is always there ... monitoring!

I do accept that t os only one extra tool in the kit and that there are no guarantees - i could still have a failure that causes extensive trailer damage or worse.

So I have never let up on my habit of doing a walk around to visually check tires (and many other things) before we set out on a trip, and at every opportunity when we stop en route.

Hopefully it all increases my chances of catching something before it catches me!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:20 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We have installed the Dill 1506-453 TPMS system on both the 2014 Classic with 16" Michelins and the 2015 23D with 15" Michelins (a tire size upgrade on both trailers after purchase). Note that the Dill senders mount inside the wheel and their steel valve stem comes through their sender. We leave the spare tire sensor receiver in an envelope as it would throw an error code if it were in the display and not receiving data caused by wheel rotation.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:35 PM   #24
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Not discounting your experience, but could it have been a manufacturing defect? Also, I think AS gets tires and wheels mounted, so the assembly process goes quicker. Either case, you blame AS for Michelin or contract supplier labor.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #25

2001 30' Limited
Star , Idaho
Tire Pressure

What tire pressure are you running cold . On my Classic factory recommendation is 65 pounds cold I had so many blowouts with my 30A 2001 Limited non slide that I upgraded years ago to Lt 225 75 R16 B F Goodrich commercial TA all season After 45, 000 miles and six years running 65 PSI cold these tires have performed beautifully and have worn only 3 /32 I blew 4 marathons in 5 years when the trailer was new . Those tires are JUNK !!! Airstream was no help . From 2001 till they started using the 16 inch tires on the Eddie Bauer edition my numerous calls to Jackson center about this issue I got the same company line that their only recommendation was the 225 75 15 ST Goodyear MaraBOMBS. That tire is probably adequate in spec but its quality and flimsy construction is inadequate for the money that an Airstream costs they should have premier quality tires and running gear . Anyway be careful of running max pressure as I have friends who mistakenly did that and have had blowouts . 80 Psi cold will be 90 PSI hot and the tire will be under tremendous pressure and only necessary if the tire is seeing maximum load . Goodyear has a load chart to determine recommended inflation pressure See below One last thing I never had any alignment problem that would have contributed to my early Marathon problems
Old 08-05-2016, 12:42 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
San Anselmo , California
It was most definitely tire bead breakage caused by improper tire machine operation. I've seen it done a hundred times by my students and have taught how to avoid this from happening. Whoever was responsible, I don't care. Whatever vehicle you buy, your point of contact is the dealership who represents the brand...and they are doing the right thing and making it right.

The Airstream prep techs pulled me aside when we arrived to pick up our new trailer, and complimented us on our purchase of the upgraded tires, saying specifically that the recommended tire pressure change was upgraded from the factory original 60 or 65 psi, to Michelin 80 cold. One of them suggested I also look into Michelin XPS Ribs for our next purchase as they have stronger sidewalls, this was confirmed by a lifelong 5th wheel trailer roadie.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:39 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
We have installed the Dill 1506-453 TPMS system on both the 2014 Classic with 16" Michelins and the 2015 23D with 15" Michelins (a tire size upgrade on both trailers after purchase). Note that the Dill senders mount inside the wheel and their steel valve stem comes through their sender. We leave the spare tire sensor receiver in an envelope as it would throw an error code if it were in the display and not receiving data caused by wheel rotation.
My Dill seems fairly reliable. Occasionally, one sensor will take longer to give a reading.

My only real gripe is that the display is difficult to read unless fully illuminated by ambient light, which is only a small amount of the time.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:02 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Port Dover , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
...We leave the spare tire sensor receiver in an envelope as it would throw an error code if it were in the display and not receiving data caused by wheel rotation.
The TST 507 sensor that I use reports tire pressure and temperature on the spare tire. It doesn't need to be rotating to work. It is always nice to know that the spare is properly inflated in case it is needed.

WBCCI #6497

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote