Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2015, 08:12 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Texas options January heading west.

We wanted to take our time heading from east coast to Southern Arizona for Jan-March.
Texas temps are a bit cooler than anticipated along most southern Rt.10.
Any experienced travel tips would be greatly appreciated.
Had planned New Orleans to Houston, Austin.....? and New Mexico ( yes it's cold there too) then onto Arizona to bask in the warmth of the desert sun!
Many thanks,
FCloud9
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
A little off the beaten path. New Orleans up to Shreveport, over to Mineola and 69 up to Greenville and pick up 380. #80 all the way to Socorro, NM. Pick up old 60 into and across Arizona to wherever.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:36 PM   #3
Tom and Phyllis

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
FCloud9, I tried to post you on the other thread, don't know if it posted or not. This is only our second rally. We were in the Florida panhandle last January at the Canopener. We are booked for the entire Aluminafiesta. We are to arrive late on Monday. Tuesday is when things start shaping up. We want to use I 40 as our return route. Just do not know what the weather will allow us to do in the higher altitudes of Arizona.
LD Valley w/ 800 lb trunion bars
Honda eu3000is & 2200 generator
Lucky Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:05 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
The weather can have a severe impact on Interstate 10 in those months. But it is a very changeable situation. You need to be prepared to to sit in your location if things get bad and wait for a change. Last year we tried to go to Alumafiesta from Austin. We only made it to Las Cruces, New Mexico for reasons unrelated to the weather, and in fact the weather on our travel days was fine. However, on days adjacent to our travel days there were snow storms that lead to multi car pile ups on the freeway. It isnt just in the high places. When a storm sweeps across that region, it gets bad fast. But then the next day it may be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:24 AM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Out of Austin, I take US290 and I-10. I drive a half day the first day to Junction (KOA or state park); that allows me to time prepare the A/S and make a leisurely start after work traffic. From Junction, I-10 to Van Horn (KOA) and then Lordsburg, NM (KOA). Finally, a half day to Tuscon and Alumafiesta. About 300 miles on the second and third days.

If I run into weather problems on I-10 in Texas, there is always Fort Stockton and Balmorhea State Park as possible early stopping places that always have space available.

Coming back across I-10 can be a problem because oil patch and wind farm workers have most RV sites tied up between Fort Stockton and Junction. I plan to stop at Balmorhea and Junction on the way home.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:33 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
We drove from Austin to the Hilltop RV park in Fort Stockton the first day. Liked it so much we stopped there again on our return. I was glad I called early in the day on both days, because it filled up. We also really enjoyed the Hacienda Rv park in Las Cruces. We stayed there several days instead of going on to Tucson because of trailer issues. Las Cruces is an interesting little town, and there are good day trips from there.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:47 AM   #7
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Houston?

Our plans are to travel south to Lafayette LA then travel west ending up in Phoenix. Our route is I-10 and wondered about going thru Houston, any suggestions? Also would like input on alternative routes from Memphis south. We are looking at just staying on I-55 but wondered about US 61? Any and all advice/help greatly appreciated
Rod & Jane
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:14 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Get to the other side of Houston before 1500. I am thru there all the time. That would be out to MM 730 on westbound IH10. Figure 45-mph average from MM 790 for planning purposes.

Otherwise between 2100 and 0500 or from 1000 to 1500 as above.

E-W through Houston isn't bad compared to N-S. And there are other metro areas worse. The times above are when you are most likely to move thru town without stoppages not caused by construction.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Yep plan your travel thru Houston between 10:00 and 15:00 , and don't stop in Houston . Lived there for many years . Stay on 10 all the way thru . When Ya get to Sealy out west of there , stop at Toni's , have a cup of coffee to celebrate a successful "journey thru the valley of Death " LOL :-)
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:35 PM   #10
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydimitt View Post
Yep plan your travel thru Houston between 10:00 and 15:00 , and don't stop in Houston . Lived there for many years . Stay on 10 all the way thru . When Ya get to Sealy out west of there , stop at Toni's , have a cup of coffee to celebrate a successful "journey thru the valley of Death " LOL :-)
That sounds like a plan, I'll do it, thanks
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:39 PM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Can I maneuver my 65' personal rig through the parking at Toni's?
Old 01-05-2015, 05:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
slowmover,
Looks like it's possible.
Here's a link that might show some clues: Tony's Family Restaurant
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:56 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Wow! Thank you Airforum members! After a much needed rest from all day driving and fun day in New Orleans....we are heading to "cross the Lone Star State"....tomorrow. Really appreciate all the tips, suggestions and recommendations....what a great community. We hope to meet some. Fellow Airstreamers in Arizona or eventually at a rally or meet up in 2015. Not sure when we will have Wi-Fi again, so just wanted to thank everyone for your responses.

So far, we have been successful in avoiding snow, ice, or other weather extremes while enroute.
We have met other "hardy winter campers" including folks camping in tents in freezing weather.
Few unexpected pleasantries along the way: sharing our site with deer and armadillo, state park bath house with exceptionally clean showers and one with a bath tub, and of course we are really enjoying our FCloud9!
Old 01-05-2015, 08:22 PM   #14
Tom and Phyllis

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
FCloud9, thank you for the update. as we follow you, departing Alabama on the 22nd, we will stay in Beaumont, TX the first night. Ft. Stockton, TX 25th, then hope to arrive in Tucson 26th. Anything you can tell us will be interesting and perhaps even useful! Happy trails to you and yours. Tom and Phyllis
LD Valley w/ 800 lb trunion bars
Honda eu3000is & 2200 generator
Lucky Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:24 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Quote:

Hi Dannydimitt,
We will be going "around Houston" between 12N-1PM....so should miss the Texas size traffic jams. I'm not familia with the journey of death but Googled Toni's and looks like great stop,
Should we tell Toni you sent us? We we be served by Toni himself?
Old 01-05-2015, 08:56 PM   #16
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Tom View Post
FCloud9, thank you for the update. as we follow you, departing Alabama on the 22nd, we will stay in Beaumont, TX the first night. Ft. Stockton, TX 25th, then hope to arrive in Tucson 26th. Anything you can tell us will be interesting and perhaps even useful! Happy trails to you and yours. Tom and Phyllis
Unless you have a good reason to stop in Fort Stockton, I would recommend you go on to Van Horn and stop there. That would make it a lot easier to reach Tucson on that last day. My map program shows 550 miles from Ft Stockton to Tucson.

I take 1 1/2 days from Van Horn to Tucson. That gets me into the destination in mid-day.

There is an old historic hotel in Van Horn that is a really neat place to eat, though not cheap.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:19 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Curtis Wright
San Marcos , Texas
Send a message via AIM to kevinkatz
fixin to get cold

it will be cold. watch for ice so dont travel too early. watch weather reports or listen to radio.
kevinkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:44 PM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
slowmover,
Looks like it's possible.
Here's a link that might show some clues: Tony's Family Restaurant

Thanks

Checked a sat photo and sure enough as to a travel trailer rig.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:47 PM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
Hi Dannydimitt,
We will be going "around Houston" between 12N-1PM....so should miss the Texas size traffic jams. I'm not familia with the journey of death but Googled Toni's and looks like great stop,
Should we tell Toni you sent us? We we be served by Toni himself?

I wouldn't go around Houston unless you mean Beltline 8 Tollroad. And then you should go around the south side of town. This is the all conditions best route, but has tolls.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:43 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Houstonians used to call Bastrop the Valley of Death before 71 got vaulted.

I echo what the others have said. Don't hit Houston during either rush hour. You just don't need that kind of stress in your life no matter what you are driving. There really is no "one direction is better than the other direction". It's ALL bad.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote