Old 01-12-2015, 09:41 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
We have really been enjoying southwest Texas. We have traveled w/o reservations and thus far no problem with finding SP & NP campsites with water & electric. Just de- winterized in Big Bend Rio Grande RV NP CG. Chilly nights but just watch weather daily plus two days out to avoid ice and snow. Big Bend was spectacular with ice coated cacti! We are beginning to enjoy more sunrises and sunsets.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:18 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
We are pulling out of here (IL) Jan 26, barring any bad weather, and will be practically following your route. We are planning on staying in Palmetto, was there any problems securing a spot, and or trouble anywhere else that you have stayed? We will be arriving in Phoenix Feb 9th.

Palmetto SP was our first stop after we went south route 10 to avoid ice storm in Texas Hill country. TX welcome center has excellent TX SP book and maps. Stayed in Palmetto 2 nights for some R & R, then to Seminole Canyon SP before few days in Big Bend Rio Grande RV village. Not great but great access to NP and for this reason highly recommend to do day trips in park. Full hookups allowed for easy de- wintetlrizing. Good laundry facility on premises. Be aware of 4 campgrounds in Big Bend, only Rio Grande RV CG has hookups.
Do not miss Chios Basin!
Feel free to PM with any questions,
FCloud9

Old 01-12-2015, 11:29 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntex View Post
Is Big Bend deserted this time of year? Good luck on the rest of your trip!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Hi Ntex,
Big Bend was spectacular and not at all crowded. This was an unplanned trip for us but we really enjoyed the park's natural beauty despite chilly weather. So glad we went during our slight diversion to avoid the Texas Hill country ice ....unable to post pics.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:45 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Interesting thread......
Will be heading south ourselves in a week or so. -34 here today so getting out of the cold is becoming a big deal! Should be in Vegas before the end of the month and then on to Yuma and over the the Phoenix area by mid February. From there no real plans other than to stay out of the cold.
Travel safe everyone

Cheers

Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-14-2015, 06:02 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
We'll be visiting Big Bend National Park and Big Bend Ranch State Park in the next few weeks. Has anyone ever driven FM-170, the "Texas River Road"? It parallels the Rio Grande between Terlingua and Persidio TX. Google maps says it takes 2 hours to make the 60 mile trip. It's pretty remote down there and I'm a little nervous towing our 30' Flying Cloud.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:36 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefootdog View Post
We'll be visiting Big Bend National Park and Big Bend Ranch State Park in the next few weeks. Has anyone ever driven FM-170, the "Texas River Road"? It parallels the Rio Grande between Terlingua and Persidio TX. Google maps says it takes 2 hours to make the 60 mile trip. It's pretty remote down there and I'm a little nervous towing our 30' Flying Cloud.
I would stay off 170 with a trailer of any size. There are some severe dips and tight curves.

OTOH, it is a really great drive, especially the first 20 miles out of Lajitas. Once you are past the big hill, you are past the best part.

I towed it with a Scamp with no problems, but I have seen some bigger trailers having difficulty.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:24 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
FCloud 9 can not beleave your not comming to Quartzsite.
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:33 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
We're enjoying AZ so much....Catalina SP, Lost Dutchman SP....and more to come. At this rate, we will be in Joshua Tree in a few weeks....then Havasu and hopefully southern UT!
Old 01-25-2015, 09:26 AM   #37
rbs
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
I-10 west of Baton Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
Palmetto SP was our first stop after we went south route 10 to avoid ice storm in Texas Hill country. TX welcome center has excellent TX SP book and maps. Stayed in Palmetto 2 nights for some R & R, then to Seminole Canyon SP before few days in Big Bend Rio Grande RV village. Not great but great access to NP and for this reason highly recommend to do day trips in park. Full hookups allowed for easy de- wintetlrizing. Good laundry facility on premises. Be aware of 4 campgrounds in Big Bend, only Rio Grande RV CG has hookups.
Do not miss Chios Basin!
Feel free to PM with any questions,
FCloud9
I-10 west of Baton Rouge easily has taken our top spot in "worst sections of Interstate". It is so bad I would strongly suggest avoiding it. We traveled the Natchez Trace from Jackson to Natchez and enjoyed the almost empty roadway, beauty and the slow pace, although cool and rainy weather prevented us from getting out too often. Stayed at Natchez SP, nice park with clean showers. Arrived at Palmetto Island SP after dark, but looks very nice. Caution about finding this park, the navigation leads you to a bridge that is closed and a detour is necessary. Very rough roads and finding your turns at night is difficult, although we used our navigation to find our way, it was a challenge. Going to stay here a couple days to enjoy the sun and 60's.
Any advice on the road condition of I-10 west of Lafayette?
Old 01-25-2015, 10:19 AM   #38
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The burden of a few bad sections across southern Louisiana is that IH-10 is new from the Texas border into Houston.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:10 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
We're at the KOA in Lordsburg, NM for the night. We stayed here 2 years ago on the way to the first AlumaFiesta. Even have the same site this time.

It was supposed to clear by 10am in Austin, so we left at 10. Big mistake. Rain squalls and snow flurries all the way to where we joined I-10 east of Junction. Hose froze at Junction that night.

Stopped at Van Horn last night. A little warmer. KOA there has a good cafe on the grounds and we enjoyed dinner and breakfast there.

150 miles to the rally. We'll leave here about 9 to get there at noon.

I made the mistake of filling up with diesel at a newish Valero near Dripping Springs. I don't know what was wrong with it, but I was down in power and getting not much over 10 MPG until I got to Fort Stockton. I filled up there and again west of El Paso. Each time I diluted the Valero stuff, the mileage got better and the truck ran better. The last leg into Lordaburg, I was getting my usual 14 mpg. No more Valero for me.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:42 PM   #40
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Throw in a bottle of the 40/gl or 100/gl silver Power Service additive. Don't worry about overdosing it. And change fuel filter once home.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:50 AM   #41
rbs
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
route questions

Will be leaving Louisiana via Route 82 along coast and using the ferry at Port Bolivar to reach Galveston. Not planning on staying in Galveston and would like to travel to Stephen Austin SP, and of course check out Tony's. Wondering about using Rt 6 as our travel route? As always appreciate any and all advice.
R&J
Old 01-28-2015, 06:17 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Hwy 87 between Sea Rim State park and High Island was washed out by Hurricane Alecia back in 1983 and was never rebuilt . A shame , but true.
State Highway 6 west out of Galveston has been inundated with hundreds of red lights which has made this shortest route to the west side of Houston incredibly slow and hazardous. Back in the fiftys and sixtys this was the preferred route my folks would take to get all points west of Alvin Texas .
Don't plan on making very good time on 6 these days . Turn west on Hwy 59 in Sugarland and then turn north on Hwy 36 in Rosenburg . This will lead you to Sealy and runs right in front of Tony's.
There is a State Park with camping on the west end of Galveston Island and if you continue west and turn right in Surfside , then access hwy 36 north in Freeport this will also take you to Sealy. Some less traffic , and a lot more peaceful. :-)