Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Texas Gulf Coast recommendations....

Greetings folks:

We are beginning to plan a trip south that will see us head over to the Gulf Coast of Texas from mid February to the later part of March. Can anyone point me in a good directions for places to see and camp grounds to stay in. At this point the plan is come into Texas from AZ and to sort of begin in the Brownsville / Rio Grande Valley areas and slowly move our way north.

We have been in the area a little in past years but never with the AS. So we are a little lost as to sites to see and places to stay....
Thanks in advance for any input and recommendations

Thanks

Doug
Old 12-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Not exactly on the coast, but not too far north of it, in east Texas you've got Sam Rayburn Reservoir. There are some nice Corps of Engineers parks around the lake (my favorite so far is Mill Creek Park) and an Airstream-only campground owned by a WBCCI Unit.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Padre Island National Seashore.

Pull out onto the shore for prime, tho possibly chilly, boondocking, or stay in one of the campgrounds in the area.

Maggie
Old 12-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Nueces County has an RV campground just behind the dunes at Port Aransas. Price is right and the have really nice shower facilities that are for campers only. That said, salt corrosion does a number on hookups, water spigots can disintegrate in your hand and be real careful with any extension cords outside, not sure the grounding is what it should be. Got bit by our light cord two summers ago but it could have been something I did. But it's hard to beat the location

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
After leaving the Brownsville / Rio Grande Valley areas , if you like the Gulf beach, there is a Nueces County park just behind the sand dunes at Port Aransas with water and electric at the sites, and they have a dump station.

Then just a few miles farther North we like the Rockport/Fulton area. Mostly RV park camping, but the area is nice with great seafood restaurants, pretty scenery, and many nice parks. Don't forget to take a tour of the Fulton Mansion.

There is a State Park just across the bay bridge from Fulton, Goose Island where you have your choice of camping on the bay beach, or in the oak trees. Take mosquito repellant.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:18 AM   #6

2012 23' Flying Cloud
Reserve , New Mexico
I'm another Tucson snow bird thinking the same way. My plan is to go to Big Bend National Park first, then wander along coastal areas. Perhaps we'll bump into each other (not literally, of course.)

BlackCreek
2012 23D Flying Cloud
Blackreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Goliad, Texas is a bit inland from the coast, but has a state park at the missions, and a lot of history. Might be worth a two day detour.

Cannonball, Deep in the Heart of Texas!

WBCCI #4387, Air #84080

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Texas
We decided to spend January in Rockport/Fulton area and had a hard time finding a place that had any vacancies, so I suggest calling ahead for reservations because many are booked solid for 3-4 months with the winter Texans. Your best bet might be the state parks. Maybe I could add more to this post after we get there at the end of the month! I always look at campgroundreviews.com to see what has been reviewed in the area and you have to take into consideration what the complaint was and how many reviewers, etc. Good luck!
okiedebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:39 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
San Angelo , Texas
Just up the coast from Corpus Christi is the Port Aransas, Rockport area. Port Aransas is on Mustang Island and can be reached by road going through Corpus or by ferry from Aransas Pass (yes a 28 ft Airstream will fit). There are many RV places in the area. Probably the nicest one in that section of the coast is the Gulf Waters RV Resort. Unlike many places that end in resort, this really is one. Immaculate in its scenery and facilities. And just across from the dunes from the beach. Individual lots are privately owned but managed by the resort. May be hard to get into at the time of the year you plan to be there- "Winter Texans". A few miles down the highway and closer to Corpus is the Mustang Island State Park. A bit cheaper but for out of state people without the park pass, it can add up to not much below the RV places. On the mainland, Rockport/Fulton has a lot to offer. Many good restaurants and places to visit. We stayed at the Ancient Oaks RV Park in Rockport in late November. There are actually to faces of the park, an older part which appears to have many long term residents, and a new part in the "super site pull thru section" This part is well kept, grass between the sites, concrete pads and roads and seemed to be primarily for shorter term visitors. This part is very nice. Near the center of town for excursions to the shops and restaurants in town and visits to the bay side. On eastward on the highway and across the bridge is Goose Island State park which someone else mentioned. Both RV parks have large numbers of Super Land Yachts. But, the Airstream looks nice among them and always draws positive comments. Check the places out on the "RV Park Reviews" Oh, the Fulton Mansion is closed right now for restoration. Sooo, sort of depends.. State Parks vs RV parks. State Parks the least expensive, Gulf Waters the most. Nice things about both.
Jim A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
Just up the coast from Corpus Christi is the Port Aransas, Rockport area. Port Aransas is on Mustang Island and can be reached by road going through Corpus or by ferry from Aransas Pass (yes a 28 ft Airstream will fit). There are many RV places in the area. Probably the nicest one in that section of the coast is the Gulf Waters RV Resort. Unlike many places that end in resort, this really is one. Immaculate in its scenery and facilities. And just across from the dunes from the beach. Individual lots are privately owned but managed by the resort. May be hard to get into at the time of the year you plan to be there- "Winter Texans". A few miles down the highway and closer to Corpus is the Mustang Island State Park. A bit cheaper but for out of state people without the park pass, it can add up to not much below the RV places. On the mainland, Rockport/Fulton has a lot to offer. Many good restaurants and places to visit. We stayed at the Ancient Oaks RV Park in Rockport in late November. There are actually to faces of the park, an older part which appears to have many long term residents, and a new part in the "super site pull thru section" This part is well kept, grass between the sites, concrete pads and roads and seemed to be primarily for shorter term visitors. This part is very nice. Near the center of town for excursions to the shops and restaurants in town and visits to the bay side. On eastward on the highway and across the bridge is Goose Island State park which someone else mentioned. Both RV parks have large numbers of Super Land Yachts. But, the Airstream looks nice among them and always draws positive comments. Check the places out on the "RV Park Reviews" Oh, the Fulton Mansion is closed right now for restoration. Sooo, sort of depends.. State Parks vs RV parks. State Parks the least expensive, Gulf Waters the most. Nice things about both.
I agree with the above; we have stayed in parks and on the beach at Mustang Island/ Aransas area. Drove through Corpus and then took the ferry back across Aransas. Staying on the beach was very nice...In Aransas area; there is a flock of giant whooping cranes that make the trek from Canada to TX every year and winter there thru spring...they are magnificent giant birds, for sure! Not many left, I understand. Food in the area is good as others have mentioned, with great local seafood. There are so many parks in TX, and at that time of year, you can go inland past Austin, a few hour drive from Aransas and hit the Hill Country area...wineries (Fredericksburg), several lakes (Marble Falls area), and of course, great BBQ all over the place! You may never leave!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Try South Padre Island. There is a koa. Also a real nice county park at the south end of South Padre that has 200 to 250 sites with full hookups. We stayed there for 3 weeks in Feb. 2013 with out advance reservation. I would not advise staying in March during spring break.
1246phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:39 PM   #12
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
My son works on Port Aransas. There are 'beach' venues... there are some nice (but snug fitting) RV parks (too snug for me to wedge our 34' in comfortably for my personal tastes).. but it can be done.

In Aransas Pass, the gateway to Port Aransas from the West, are several very nice and some less so...

PM if you are interested with our experiences.. (have stayed in several for over a week stays)...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:56 AM   #13
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
We showed up at Mustang Island SP without a rez, they were full, but they let us boondock on the beach, we loved it.
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:59 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Thanks VERY MUCH for all the input and ideas folks! I'm traveling today, but wanted to at least post a "Thank You" note while I had a minute. I will get a chance to actually read the posts later today and will comment more then...

Thanks again

Doug
Old 12-10-2014, 08:47 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Paradise , Texas
Bolivar peninsula/Crystal Beach just east of Galveston has 27 miles of beach and you can boondock anywhere along the peninsula. Also, as Protagonist mentioned, Sam Rayburn Reservoir has some really nice COE campgrounds. We stayed at Rayburn Park and San Augustine campgrounds. Lots of pine trees and huge lake. Just a couple hours from the coast.
Texasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Texas Gulf Coast recommendations....

Thanks everyone for your input. I now have to poor over a map to find out we're these places are. Will they be busy in February and March? Does one have to be concerned about reservations? Finally, does the Core of Engineer parks allow just anyone to stay or do you have to be military or ex military. In my case, will they let us Canadians stay there?

Thanks

Doug

Old 12-10-2014, 10:07 PM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. I now have to poor over a map to find out we're these places are. Will they be busy in February and March? Does one have to be concerned about reservations? Finally, does the Core of Engineer parks allow just anyone to stay or do you have to be military or ex military. In my case, will they let us Canadians stay there?
Corps of Engineers parks are open to the general public. Even Canadians. Reservations are not required, but it doesn't hurt to have one. They're likely to be half-empty in the middle of the week, busier on weekends.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:32 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
The Corp of Engineers park at Canyon Lake, Texas always has campsites set aside for walk-up customers. You can access info for your particular campground online.

Cannonball, Deep in the Heart of Texas!

WBCCI #4387, Air #84080

Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Most places are booked on Galveston Island during Mardi Gras (2nd largest Mardi Gras celebration in the USA) so if your plans take you to that area at that time you may want to check on availability or choose an alternate place to visit at that time. But Galveston Island is a great place to visit with plenty of activities and things to do and see to entertain you for at least a week.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:51 PM   #20
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Not on the coast.. but, just West of I35...close enough to Austin, Killeen, other places you might want to see.. without a lot of noise when you want quiet..

Facility Details - UNION GROVE, TX - Recreation.gov
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3286.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	228396   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0033.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	473.4 KB
ID:	228397  

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote