Old 09-02-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Frankfort , Indiana
texas campgrounds and parks

My husband and myself would like to take a trip to Texas this winter. Feb.10 thru the 24. I think it would be great to stay near San Antonio. Does anyone have a suggestion on what park or campground would be good for that time of year. This would be out first long trip in our 1996 Land yacht motorhome. I saw one thread on Hill Top outside of San Antonio, and one called travel world. Anybody have info on these or any other location. And does anyone know what the average temp is around that time?

Old 09-02-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
In that time period the average daytime peak is 65F and the night low is 44F. In practice that means many nights are around 50F and when an arctic front comes through it is right around the frost point.

Source: Average Weather for Austin, TX - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 09-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Frankfort , Indiana
where are all the good campgrounds? or do you suggest we go little further west to NM or Arizona?
Old 09-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I have never camped locally - always at least 250 miles away! I know there's a nice rv park in Georgetown (visited friends there) which puts you in daily driving distance of most of the hill country and central texas. You might think this area justifies a few days, then move on to NM, or if you like Grand Canyon-type scenery, Palo Duro Canyon (near Amarillo in the panhandle) is nearer you. You could take historic rte 66 down, then go back up in your direction by following the gulf coast to Mississippi then up the Natchez Trace - it depends on if you want to be stationary in one spot, or moving on and exploring?

What's your traveling style?
Old 09-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I don't have any specifics on campgrounds in the area, but the Hill Country (just north of San Antonio, west of Austin/San Marcos/New Braunfels) is a really nice area during our "winter." I know there are campgrounds in the area around New Braunfels, because during the summer there are lots of people who do rafting and tubing on the Gruene and Guadalupe rivers. There are some state parks in the Hill Country, but I never camped there... when I lived in the area it was an easy day-trip.

Blanco State Park shows as having full hookups: TPWD: Blanco State Park

Pedernales Falls SP shows as having water+electric hookups: TPWD: Pedernales Falls State Park

The Parks & Wildlife site conveniently lists other parks in the vicinity of the park you're looking at on the link, but it's not really clear which of the campgrounds are accessible to trailers, though I'd guess any with 30-amp or better service at the campsite are intended for RVs. It's worth calling to ask for more details.

As to the weather... well, I'd say I wear short sleeves 85% of the year and need a heavy jacket less than 10% of the entire year... it's pretty temperate in the "winter" here, it's the summers you have to watch out for!
Old 09-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
San Antonio , Texas
TX Campgrounds Ideas

We live in Georgetown and would recommend the Corp of Engineer Parks on Lake Georgetown. The temps can vary--but usually is 60's and sometimes 70's. Some of our favorite Texas campgrounds is Bastrop State Park near Austin and Goose Island State Park in Rockport on the Gulf. We camped w/the Vintage Rally at Baunig RV Resort in Elmendorf (south of San Antonio). It is OK & easy access to Interstate, etc. The Riverwalk in San Antonio is fantastic and weather is warmer in that area.
Victoria
Old 09-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Blacksburg , Virginia
We stayed at Canyon Lake last June and really enjoyed our stay. It is located halfway between San Antonio and Austin. It is also near the town of Greune, home to Texas' oldest dance hall!

Canyon Lake Offical Web Page
Old 09-02-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
You might also try out a very OLD placed called Possum Kingdom if you like to fish! Clear water (lot's of it) everywhere!
It is a few miles outside of Graham Texas.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Just west of San Anatonio on I-10 is Kerrville, TX‎. This is the near the start of the Texas bad lands. There is lots of camping, golf, lakes and state and local parks. It's about a 90 min. drive to San Antonio so that you can drive to town for the day and sleep in the wilderness at night. We've stayed in this area several times on trips to and from the west coast.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
North Falmouth , Massachusetts
Palo Duro Canyon

Palo Duro canyon is spectacular, the second largest canyon in the USA and a nice State campground. Highly recommend it. Be warned, however, the drive from the Ranger Station down into the canyon is a "white knuckler"! The deer and turkeys are tame. Enjoy. Stay away from Odessa and Midland, dull, dusty, boring. Cabelas is Buda TX will let you park overnight in their lot and it's across the street from the Airstream dealer. They are convenient but were not very helpful when we had a major problem.
dick&claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
We just got back from visiting friends in Fredricksburg (about an hour or so outside of San Antonio) right in the middle of their wine region. Nice little RV park over by the fairgrounds.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:31 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Friends: La Hacienda RV Resort! But only if you want every amenity known to man. You'll probably be parked next to a Prevost. Austin is a total hoot, except for hideous traffic jams. Best wishes, John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Austin, 3-15-10 035.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	360.9 KB
ID:	109977  
Old 09-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Palo Duro canyon is spectacular, the second largest canyon in the USA and a nice State campground. Highly recommend it. Be warned, however, the drive from the Ranger Station down into the canyon is a "white knuckler"! The deer and turkeys are tame. Enjoy. Stay away from Odessa and Midland, dull, dusty, boring. Cabelas is Buda TX will let you park overnight in their lot and it's across the street from the Airstream dealer. They are convenient but were not very helpful when we had a major problem.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #14
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
I would definitely go to Fredericksburg, Tx. Great food and fun. I would stay in the Fredericksburg RV park if you can get a spot that time of year. It's a must! Also, I have stayed at Blanco State Park. Very nice, full hookups on most sites. Very clean and close to town. Have fun.