Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Point , NW
Texans

We are heading to Houston TX for some medical treatment in February. One treatment a week for 6 weeks. Hoping to do some exploring for a few days in between. Wondering what the "must sees" and "must do's" and of course "must try eateries" are while in Texas. We like small private airports, hiking, sight seeing, shopping (wife), anything new and exciting which all of Texas will be for us, and of course people. Hoping to avoid a lot of, "oh you should have ?", while you were there.

A 2200 mile road trip from the Pacific NW, or a commericial flight with rental car, still trying to decide. We deciced not to take our newly purchased 1965 Safari that far for our maiden voyage.

Any and all suggestions welcomed.
Sburg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
One of many to see here. Stay in touch...
Pioneer Flight Museum

or any of Roger Freemans projects....

Lots of other big airport collection types...but not the small airports your looking for.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Mi Tierra Cafe and Bakery...open 24/7 in San Antonio...quite possibly the best Mexican food I have had.

Just passing by for fast food? Taco Cabana also open 24/7 is a chain in Texas and Southern OK that blows away other fast food taco joints. Fresh sauces and salsa made daily. They grill STEAK for their steak fajitas, and cut apart rotisserie chicken for the chicken tacos. I think I ate their 5 times when I was in San Antonio over Thanksgiving.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Loveland , Colorado
Check out T-Bone Toms in Kemah. It is not far from the Space Center.

Jim
Jimdee07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I recommend narrowing it down. Houston is over 700 miles from El Paso, and there are great day trips from each. If you expect to be willing to travel around 200+ miles, then all of Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin, and San Antonio is open to you.

There are an uncounted number of small airports in this state, for example, so organizing around some theme would be good. The big airports (including ALLIANCE, closed to GA) are fascinating, as are the big USAAF airfields still around San Antonio. Where I live, for example, was (and is) the home of Naval Aviation training besides Pensacola and the WWII buildings at some of the still extant outlying fields are of interest . . but I wouldn't travel 200 miles to see them. I would with the inclusion of touring the USS LEXINGTON. There are several good flight museums within your range. We had any number of SAC and other Cold War bases here. Weather and geography are conducive to flight operations year round. Choose your poison well.

Shopping in Houston is pretty well the Galleria area and surrounding few miles of streets. No reason to go elsewhere. Dallas is a bit more spread out, but the Northpark Mall area east to Highland Park Village will satisfy that urge in main. Better known restaurants are also in these higher-income areas, or adjacent. It sort of depends on what you want. In all of these cities are offbeat places to shop away from the main drag. FYI, the suburbs of all of them are mainly populated by the giant chain stores to be found anywhere. So, if you want IKEA you need only choose which location best fits the next out-of-town adventure.

This is the second most populous state and the largest for what matters for tourists with time/distance concerns: Texas has over a quarter-million miles of roads. Choices will have to be made.

Mentally, draw a line 50-miles to the west of Interstate 35, running N-S and run it past San Antonio down to the Rio Grande Valley. Draw another line E-W from Waco across the state and stay in the SE quadrant. Outside of that is either cold, windy or desolate. Inside of it is everything you've mentioned being of interest and the best chance of accommodating weather in February/March. (Ice storms are serious when they occur).

I recommend starting with TExas Heritage Trail information.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Now, as to routing from Sandpoint to the Texas Medical Center on Fannin St, I see that Google Maps chooses U.S._Route_287 from the Denver area all the way through. That's an excellent choice. I leave the northern end of it to you. It's a little out of the way to touch your toes to the water at Port Arthur, TX, but it would be fun to run the whole route some day (even if at different times). Choteau, MT is the northern terminus.

The section from Denver to Fort Worth is the Southern Great Plains, so winds are always to be respected.

Forgot in the above to mention what I consider a must for Houston: Ship Channel Tour of the largest petrochemical & refinery complex on the planet. You don't get to see the whole thing (over 100 plants spreading eastward to the Lake Charles, LA; [8] of the worlds [40] largest oil refineries alone.), but between this tour and a roundtrip on the Sam Houston Tollroad south of Interstate 10 -- across a very high bridge -- you'll forever have a memory of significant political (and other) importance. There are refineries in many places, but there is nothing like this anywhere else. Exxon/Mobil at Baytown, alone, covers 2,400-acres. Choose a sunny day.

For restaurant guides secure a copy of TEXAS MONTHLY magazine.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
If you're going out to eat in Houston, there's only one name to remember: "Pappas" family of restaurants.
This Houston family has some of the most established and successful eateries in the State.
Their Mexican restaurant, "Pappasito's Cantina", is hands down one of the best Mexican restaurants you'll ever try. Be hungry, the portions are huge.
If you like Louisiana style seafood, try "Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen".
You can check out their website: Pappas Restaurants - home of Pappasito's, Pappadeaux, Pappas Bar-B-Q, Pappas Seafood House & many more!
2Rhinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
2005 31' Classic
Douglass , Texas
Kemah Board Walk & NASA Space Center, both not an hours drive south of Houston
jrudd1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Houston

Theater District Downtown

Galveston Seawall & Strand, since your so close!

Brenner's Restaurant, I-10 @ Westbelt (steak)

Nasa Space Center

Original Ninfa's mexican restaurant on Navigation Blvd.

Montrose & Museum District

Spaghetti Western Italian Cafe @ Shepherd Drive

Galleria

Jimmy's Ice House @ White Oak Drive

Hamburgers @ Christian's Tailgate I-10 or Lankford Grocery Dennis Street
Old 01-24-2011, 08:27 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Flintstone is correct:

Brenner's for a great steak dinner
Original Ninfa's for a Houston landmark Mexican meal
Christian's for one of Houston's best burgers.

Sounds like Flintstone and I enjoy eating out in Houston
2Rhinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Commerce , Texas
Galveston, for sure. Shopping on The Strand (antiques, souvenirs, candy factory, clothing), beautiful historic mansions to tour, historic Victorian neighborhoods, Seawolf Park with WWII hardware displays, museums, Galveston Island Ferry, Moody Gardens, Pier 19 restaurants, golf, and the Seawall. Lots to do and see.

"You can buy a cheaper burger, but then you gotta eat it." Texas Burger
jal4509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:12 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Commerce , Texas
And, if you do have time, San Antonio (about 200 mi. from Houston), mainly the downtown, River Walk area. LOTS of shopping, very scenic, lots of history, the Alamo & San Antonio Missions National Historic Park, great resturants, San Antonio Museum of Art in the historic Lone Star Brewery building, McNay Art Museum, Institute of Texas Cultures & Tower of the Americas, the Buckhorn Museum & Texas Ranger Museum, La Vallita Historical Arts Village, El Mercado (Market Square) with restaurants Mi Tierra & La Margarita. Stay the night in the historic Menger Hotel (next to the Alamo); breakfast is great there. Other Mexican restaurants that we like are Casa Rio (on the River Walk) & Rosario's Mexican Cafe. And, finally, Shilo's Deli (also downtown)...German deli...great breakfast. Yes, we love San Antonio.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Others' comments are right, Texas is a big place. 268,581 sq. mi., compared to 260,558 sq. mi. for France. (Of course, English is almost the native language, Texan preferred. English will get you by nicely, though.)

If you can, the Hill Country (including San Antonio, San Marcos, and Austin) is a great place to visit. Lots of smaller towns in that area. Some also have nice small muni airports. I once came across a T6 Texan (if memory serves me correctly) sporting a fake torpedo and painted up like a Kate (Nakajima BN5) at a small strip. Of course, if you route takes you through Midland, there is the CAF Museum.

Getting a copy of Texas Monthly is a great suggestion.

Enjoy.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Steak House

I was down there for some business last year and the people I was with took me to Taste of Texas Steak House and It was amazing! They even have there own butcher shop inside and you can have your steak cut anyway you want. Great place super nice service....Easy 5 star in my opinion if you like great steaks but go hungry. Hope you have a great trip.
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2002 27' Safari
College Station , Texas
Here's a very short side trip from Houston that will include a bit of history and some good seafood. My favorite seafood restaurant in the Houston area is the Monument Inn, named after the San Jacinto Monument, which is just a stone's throw down the road. The Monument itself was built at the site of the Battle of San Jacinto, where Texas won its independence from Mexico in 1836. It's much like the Washington Monument (only taller, of course), and at the base is a nice little museum with a very informative film and exhibits. You can ride an elevator to the top of the Monument to enjoy the view, but thankfully that part was closed when we were there - I'm terrified of heights. On display between the restaurant and the Monument is the Battleship Texas, which saw service in World War I and World War II.

This view from Bing Maps shows the area - the San Jacinto Monument and the Battleship are labeled. The little white building at the top is the Monument Inn.

Bing Maps

Here is the Monument Inn's website:

Monument Inn

For something a little different, you might want to get there by heading east from Houston on I-10. Take Exit 787 and turn right on Crosby Lynchburg Road, then go a mile or so to the Lynchburg Ferry. The ferry ride is short but atmospheric, and when you land, you are right by the Monument Inn.

P.S. - If you go there and use the proper Spanish pronunciation of San Jacinto, "san ha-SEEN-to," you will brand yourself as a tourist. The closest Northern equivalent would be going to Mackinac Island in Michigan and pronouncing it "mack-i-nack." The proper Texas pronunciation of San Jacinto is "san ja-SEN-to" or, in more relaxed mood, "san ja-SENNA."

Mike

"The written word will soon disappear, and we'll no longer be able to read good prose like we used to could." - James Thurber
mddsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Point , NW
Wow, thanks “Ya’ll”. Is that Texan, or does it label us as tourists? We really appreciate all of the suggestions, looks like many things to keep us busy. We also appreciate the reminder that Texas in a huge state. Guess all the responses are part of the Southern Hospitality we hear about. We are now thinking of going west to San Antonio, have to see the Alamo, north to Austin to see the capitol, perhaps as far as the Dallas area. We also want to explore Galveston and the surrounding bay. Of course we will sample as many of the suggested eateries as possible. Still uncertain how far we may get will see after the first session. We have decided to fly and rent a car, not sure how a several day drive afterwards might work out.
We are excited for warmer weather and to see Texas, part of it anyway. Once again thanks and feel free to add any more suggestions that come to mind.
Sburg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:16 PM   #17

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Y'all is a very common Texanism, but there's more to the drawl than just the y'all.

I want to add a couple of restaurant comments, with the caveat that I'm a fat foodie and have been described as having "strong opinions."

As regards Mi Tierra in San Antonio... well, I just can't recommend it. It used to be a place we went on most trips to San Antonio when I was young (and much of our family was in the SA area, we went several times a year.) It was great way back when but is trading on its past image now. The food is mediocre compared to better SA options and one of the reasons I completely gave up on the place was that it never seemed quite clean enough, and that's coming from a guy who likes some grubby hole-in-the-wall places.

I moved to San Antonio in 2001 and was very disappointed in what Mi Tierra had become. There are WAY better places to eat in SA. Karam's for classic texmex, El Mirasol or SoLuna for a bit higher-end, modern take on things. If you're in the downtown area, there's a place called Acenar by the Valencia Hotel (Houston between St. Mary's and Soledad) that's very interesting, with a somewhat-modern take on Mexican food and the best restaurant cabrito I've ever had. (The best cabrito comes from a pit on somebody's ranch, but Acenar comes very close and is more comfortable with better margaritas!)

The Pappas restaurants are VERY reliable. They're also not limited to Houston. I'd be surprised if anyone had a BAD meal at one, and there's never any shortage in the portions, but having been to Pappadeaux, Pappasito's and Pappas Burger at various times, I wouldn't describe them as the best restaurants of their respective genres. They're just too formulaic and middle-of-the-road to be excellent.

If you make it to Austin there's a LOT to do. The Capitol, a huge live music scene (Unless you're REALLY into it, avoid Austin during SXSW 11-20 March. Everything's crowded, the hotels are full, etc.) There's the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center down south, Lake Travis and the Hill Country to the west, tons of good places to eat. The Clay Pit is a good Indian place, Torchy's Tacos and the Taco Shack are good quick taco joints, Juan in a Million is a gut-busting breakfast experience, El Chile is a good modern mex place, and Fonda San Miguel is an almost-fine-dining place with interior Mexican cuisine.

Since you're coming from Idaho, I'd say you should just laugh at the suggestion that Texas is cold north of Waco. Anytime it reaches freezing in DFW it causes a minor panic, you'll think it's late spring. I like Fort Worth WAY more than Dallas, but that may be because I live in Fort Worth. Of course, that's part of WHY we live on this side of the Metroplex, too... the Fort Worth choice was voluntary. We have the Stockyards, several fine museums such as the Kimbell and the Museum of Modern Art (both of architectural interest as well as for their collections, though they're doing expansion work on the Kimbell at the moment) and even the National Cowgirl Museum and Hall of Fame. We have a nice accessible downtown area and plenty of good places to eat.

I don't have much to offer for the Houston area... lots of my Houston dining experience was late-night diner places to soak up enough coffee to drive back to College Station after a night on the town. That's both an unfair representation of Houston dining and ancient history (late 80s/early 90s)
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:18 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Commerce , Texas
Ya'll are fittin' in already!

Austin is not your typical big city...downtown is very easy to drive through and find your way. If you have time, be sure to visit South Congress Ave...interesting shops (great fiber/yarn shop Hill Country Weavers) & restaurants. Check out 6th Street, too.

Our favorite BBQ restuarant is County Line on the Hill (Bee Caves Rd.)...views of the Hill Country are wonderful, great rustic atmosphere, good food.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Commerce , Texas
Ok, I have to defend Dallas (born & raised there)! Ft. Worth is wonderful...western atmosphere (we love the Stock show & rodeo), historic Stockyards, museums, restaurants, wear your cowboy boots & hats...highly recommend it. Dallas has a different atmosphere to offer. Flagship Neiman Marcus, Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza, Dallas Museum of Art, Nasher Sculpture Garden, Fair Park with its beautiful Art Deco buildings, Music Hall & museums, Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Gardens, Dallas Zoo, House of Blues. Restaurants...Sonny Bryan's Smokehouse, The Old Warsaw Restaurant, El Fenix Mexican Restaurant, and so much more. BUT, DFW is a long drive from Houston!

Old 01-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post

As regards Mi Tierra in San Antonio... well, I just can't recommend it. It used to be a place we went on most trips to San Antonio when I was young (and much of our family was in the SA area, we went several times a year.) It was great way back when but is trading on its past image now. The food is mediocre compared to better SA options and one of the reasons I completely gave up on the place was that it never seemed quite clean enough, and that's coming from a guy who likes some grubby hole-in-the-wall places.

I moved to San Antonio in 2001 and was very disappointed in what Mi Tierra had become.
Not sure when you last went there, but I was there on the 17th of December and the food was excellent, place was clean, and staff was very friendly. Forums member Whitsend took my family there as he was rather fond of it.

Steve