Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #21

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Not sure when you last went there, but I was there on the 17th of December and the food was excellent, place was clean, and staff was very friendly. Forums member Whitsend took my family there as he was rather fond of it.

Steve
Maybe they've had some sort of dramatic turnaround. I gave up on the place in about 2004 after it having been a favorite place from the mid-70s into the early '90s. I didn't really go between the early '90s and moving to SA at the end of 2001, and I lived far from downtown so I only tried it about 4 times 2002-2004 and was disappointed every time.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Well if you are in town over the summer look me up and we'll hit it again. We were very impressed with everything.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:07 PM   #23
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I'd say you should just laugh at the suggestion that Texas is cold north of Waco.

DKB, you ever been caught out in rural Texas in an ice storm, with impassable roads. Literally impassable? If you had you might've thought twice (or better read my post). These folks are here to have a nice time outside of medical treatment. And the SE quadrant suggestion keeps distances reasonable and a "marker" to know the southern extent of potentially bad weather. Icy roads can occur elsewhere, but the Waco marker is accurate for general, reliable purposes.

Wind, sleet and ice are no fun wherever encountered. Someone not from Texas may not appreciate that a slew of 65F winter days can turn overnight into something else. Without much warning.

Plus you miss the appeal of Mi Tierra. I've been eating there longer than you, and I've also been to better restaurants. I still wouldn't think of taking visitors anywhere else on a nice day. The other places just come and go, and will wait if there's a desire for greater quality. At least they should be cautioned against most if not all places on the San Antonio Riverwalk for a meal (unless something has changed, eh?). Everyone and their brother born in Texas the past century has been to Mi Tierra. It's part and parcel of Texana.

You might have made the same comment about Pappas Brothers chains of restaurants as I made about an E-W line through Waco: It's a safe bet, but you can do well or better with some planning. PB restaurants pay high rent in high traffic areas. They are fast food, done well. That they are out-numbered by national chains is their real recommendation. Access, parking and reliably good. Plan B, for restaurants.

Much about restaurant choice will come down to where in one of the big cities one has decided to spend the day. You wouldn't find me trying to get across the worst evening traffic in Texas (Austin) to get to that "special" restaurant. Or traveling E-W across northern Dallas-Ft. Worth at the same time. N-S in Houston. Etc.

All Texas cities are car-friendly. The whole state is. But there can be significant traffic snarls to avoid just as in the winter there can be reasons to make alternate plans or routes to and from those cities.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #24

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
REDNAX: I grew up 5 miles outside a small town north of Tyler, I've seen a fair amount of north Texas ice... rural, suburban and urban. I have an AWD Subaru and I still generally hang out at home when it gets icy because many of my fellow Texans lose what meager ability they have to control their vehicles when it gets a bit slick, but those days are few and far between, even up here. I think someone from Idaho wouldn't have much trouble with normal winter in North TX, provided they check the forecast. It's not much worse than SE Texas in hurricane season, after all.

You're quite right about the distance from Houston, of course. Texas is big and spread out, and I don't go to Houston from here for the weekend without something extraordinary to attract me there. It sounds like they may have 6 days between treatments, though, so it's not a bad run if something up here appeals to them.

I wouldn't disagree about most of the San Antonio restaurants on the Riverwalk itself, there's not much down there that's worth the effort. There are a couple of places that are near or above the Riverwalk that are good restaurants, but they're not in the thick of it. I mentioned Acenar in my other post, and for a gourmet dinner I've really liked Biga on the Banks the few times I ate there. Both places overlook the Riverwalk but they're not "Riverwalk restaurants" per se.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:53 PM   #25
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Smile National Dish of Texas

In case you don't know it chicken fried steak is the national dish of Texas, and the best place to eat it is Goodson's Cafe in Tomball, TX, just a few miles north of Houston. You will not be disappointed.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sburg58 View Post
A 2200 mile road trip from the Pacific NW, or a commericial flight with rental car, still trying to decide. We deciced not to take our newly purchased 1965 Safari that far for our maiden voyage.

Any and all suggestions welcomed.
A 4,500 mile round-trip drive from the Pacific NW to Houston would be 15 300-mile days. That's nobody's idea of fun. Then to tool around from Houston to Austin to San Antonio to who-knows-where adds many other 200 to 250-mile days of driving. You just do not comprehend the vastness of Texas or you wouldn't even consider driving. I'm sorry but I'm incredulous that anyone would consider such a trip.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #27
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
BBQ-BBQ-BBQ
There are so many great BBQ places in Texas. Here are a few of the best:

Cooper's in Llano (My fav) and New Braunfels
Kreuz Market and Black's in Lockhart
The Salt Lick in Driftwood

Enjoy Texas. I wasn't born here, but I got here as fast as I could!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb379_2010 View Post
BBQ-BBQ-BBQ
There are so many great BBQ places in Texas. Here are a few of the best:

Cooper's in Llano (My fav) and New Braunfels
I'll second this. Lance introduced me to Coopers in NB, and I look forward to paying them a visit when I arrive in Texas for Spring Break!

Steve
Old 01-26-2011, 11:32 PM   #29
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Houston Area Must Sees

The NASA Space center in clear Lake

Moody Gardens in Galvesten

Moody Mansion in Galveston

Offshore Oil Drilling museum in Galveston

San Jacinto Monument and Battleship Texas

Must eat: Texas Barbecue
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:37 PM   #30
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
For those of you travelling I 10 Cooper's BBQ is also located at the Junction, TX exit.

Jim
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:04 AM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinKC View Post
A 4,500 mile round-trip drive from the Pacific NW to Houston would be 15 300-mile days. That's nobody's idea of fun. Then to tool around from Houston to Austin to San Antonio to who-knows-where adds many other 200 to 250-mile days of driving. You just do not comprehend the vastness of Texas or you wouldn't even consider driving. I'm sorry but I'm incredulous that anyone would consider such a trip.
I think it could easily be made in 4-5 days each way (with a max of 600/day imposed, and an average of 450/day given daylight driving hours) with decent trip planning: all stops -- fuel, rest, food -- known ahead of time. Just check off a list as the day proceeds. One could also decide to take two days in Denver, for example; or Santa Fe on the return.

Texas distances are relative as much or most of what may wish to be seen is a maximum of 200-250 miles each outbound leg from Houston. South or West Texas are a different matter.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Point , NW
Thanks for all the information, looks like lots to do and lots to eat!! We are printing off all of the responses and will make a plan to see and do as much as possible. We really appreciate all who took time to make suggestions.
Sburg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:57 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Point , NW
We decided to fly and have been in Texas for a few weeks now. We have been able to travel around a little bit. Visited several places suggested above and have eaten super Mexican and BBQ. We have stayed fairly close to Houston, within 100 miles. Observations: Texans are super great folks! One Texan even loaned us a car! Southern hospitality is alive and well! Texas food is super great! Texas weather has been super great! Texas is super flat, at least around here! Texas medical treatment is top notch! Houston traffic, not so great! We will be back!
Sburg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:06 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Hope your doing well! Yes...it is flat around Houston...a BIG difference from Sandpoint for sure. Are you headed back now?
Old 03-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Commerce , Texas
Hope your time in Houston went well and glad you were able to have a little fun!

"You can buy a cheaper burger, but then you gotta eat it." Texas Burger
jal4509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Rhinos View Post
If you're going out to eat in Houston, there's only one name to remember: "Pappas" family of restaurants.
This Houston family has some of the most established and successful eateries in the State.
Their Mexican restaurant, "Pappasito's Cantina", is hands down one of the best Mexican restaurants you'll ever try. Be hungry, the portions are huge.
If you like Louisiana style seafood, try "Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen".
You can check out their website: Pappas Restaurants - home of Pappasito's, Pappadeaux, Pappas Bar-B-Q, Pappas Seafood House & many more!

This suggestion is right on, been there found Heaven on my plate. I'd eat there every night-period.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote