Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2015, 10:11 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmpedRealtor View Post
One of the advantages of driving an EV in many states is unfettered access to the HOV lanes. This does save a lot of time during rush-hour commute. The Model S, particularly, uses very little energy while "idling" even when the AC is running.
Explain, perhaps? HOV? You have a hovercraft? I'm sure there are a few on here that don't have a clue what you are talking about. I suspect a HOV is something that belongs in a large stinky unlivable city, not out in the open country with single lane roads. How do those EV things work on your basic unpaved open range roads with wild horses and cows and snow drifts?

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:16 PM   #82
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
Explain, perhaps? HOV? You have a hovercraft?
HOV = High Occupancy Vehicles. A special lane just for ride-shares that lets you zip past the gridlock in the other lanes— assuming that you have enough people on board and can get through the gridlock from your on-ramp to even access the HOV lane on the far left-hand side.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:27 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
HOV High Occupancy Vehicle lane in metro areas reserved for 2 or more people in vehicle during posted hours or motorcycles and certain alternate fuel powered vehicles with single drivers.

I ran into these last week in the Seattle area and another lane for tolls . Oh and metered onramps , i.e. a traffic light on the onramp . Oh the humanity !

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:59 PM   #84
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
San Jose via Winnepeg, Toronto, Orlando, Saratoga and Groton , California
Send a message via AIM to tyggeln Send a message via MSN to tyggeln Send a message via Yahoo to tyggeln
Anybody know if you can tow with the current Tesla Model S? Seems like it would have plenty of torque and would be a good test bed to validate the efficacy and logistics of towing using an EV. It's a big car...
2007 GMC Yukon XL SLT
"Where are my keys?"
tyggeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:54 AM   #85
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Apparently the owner's manual for the S says no. There is no tow rating.

The issue apparently relates to the rear structure and mounting a hitch. That said, there is an aftermarket hitch available for those that want to give it a go. Tesla says that the X is the first electric vehicle designed for towing. When they were developing it, though, they had test mules towing that were built from the S model. So there were photos taken of the S towing as part of that development program.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	model-s-tow-hitch.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	249518  
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:25 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I like it!
The accessories hitch looks like a tail-
I especially like VIN 4 (the silver one), and VIN 4 (the blue one).
If I had a million dollars...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:42 AM   #87
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Common misconception. Scientists have found petroleum-like hydrocarbons on Titan, one of Saturn's moons, and many carbonaceous asteroids have a composition very similar to coal. There is growing scientific evidence that so-called "fossil fuels" are not and never were the remains of dead animals or plants, but rather naturally occurring geological products.

Which actually makes running out someday even more likely.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Sorry to laugh. Don't fall off the edge of the earth when you get there.

Gaudeamus igitur ORU
Old 10-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
We've traveled from southwest Colorado to southern California several times a year for the past 30 years and have seen tens of thousands of acres of land along Interstate 8 gobbled up for windmills and solar farms. Yet, these technologies produce less than 10% of our current power needs. Were these acres used for subsidized housing, there would be a hue and cry from environmentalists that they were a blight on the landscape. As states as well as the EPA continue to force power companies to buy energy produced by alternative means, our power bills continue to increase. As owners of multifamily rental property, we have to provide the space and infrastructure for a charging station if requested by a tenant. While the tenant actually has to pay for the charging station, we have to make the accommodations.

BTW, the Tesla is a great looking car. In fact, there was a company buying Tesla body shells from Musk and retro-fitting Corvette running gear!