Old 10-01-2015, 12:29 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappy View Post
While burning oil isn't going away completely anytime soon, electric cars are truly the future of driving and that gigafactory can't come online soon enough.
I'm afraid the only electric powered vehicle I see in my future is an electric powered wheelchair

Kelvin

Old 10-01-2015, 12:49 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Very neat machine, but $$$ ...

Old 10-01-2015, 01:57 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Is there a link to see the Tesla Model X towing an Airstream trailer?
I couldn't find the video on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:55 PM   #60
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Let's think about this vehicle.....
As cool as it is lets pretend for a moment.
Say you're towing your Airstream to the Grand Canyon from any destination, you arrive after a 250 mile drive from just about any direction, you are then stuck there without any charge provision.
A vehicle with a finite range and very specific fueling requirements is a totally dumb tow vehicle choice.
With most full size trucks you have a 700 mile range to get to your destination, for ice, beer, then hundreds of miles to refuel.
A niche vehicle is in my opinion a goofy choice to to anything any distance from home.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:24 PM   #61
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
And when driving an EV car you are never caught in traffic of any type! Kewl!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:28 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Favorite personalized license plate seen in San Francisco years ago on a very nice Mercedes: "HAD NOT".

Car being driven by a dude in a very nice suit, grinning from ear to ear. Obviously he had arrived...😄

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:15 AM   #63
1 Rivet Member

Buckeye , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echelon73 View Post
I'm not trying to argue against your point or anything (I actually like Tesla's), but I drive about the same amount as your friend does every year and I only pay about $2500 in fuel cost. Saving $5000 in gas would mean they were switching from a real gas hog. Also, in your 7 year example your friend would drive well over 300,000 miles. It may be too early to tell how much it will cost to maintain the batteries and car itself over that many miles, especially if he is supercharging that often.
When one compares fuel costs, one needs to compare the Model S to other vehicles in its class. Obviously if one is comparing the car to a Toyota or Honda, the fuel savings will be much less. But then that's not really a valid comparison. That's like comparing a Honda Accord to a Mercedes S Class.

My example was shared with an eye towards showing the types of calculations other Model S owners have done in order to determine their TCO (total cost of ownership) over time. Obviously many other factors need to be considered. One owner in the Tesla forums determined that his Model S costs less than the Honda Odyssey minivan he was considering after factoring costs over 5-7 years.

I came from a Prius, so fuel cost savings was not a consideration for me. Fuel cost savings are also impacted by your local electricity rates, whether you have solar, and whether you are on any TOU (time of use) or net metering (solar) plans. Some states, like California, offer special, lower rates for EV charging along with a separate meter.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:17 AM   #64
1 Rivet Member

Buckeye , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
What's the cost to insure a Tesla? Similar to conventional $70k cars?

Kelvin
I was quoted just over $100/mo by Geico. That's about what I pay with Encompass, but my Encompass policy is an "agreed value" policy. That means that if the car is totaled, they will pay me the "agreed value" instead of depreciated market value. My agreed value will essentially pay out the purchase price of the car. Encompass is one of the few companies to provide an agreed value policy. Cars in this price range depreciate rapidly, so an agreed value policy is a good idea.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:22 AM   #65
1 Rivet Member

Buckeye , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Let's think about this vehicle.....
As cool as it is lets pretend for a moment.
Say you're towing your Airstream to the Grand Canyon from any destination, you arrive after a 250 mile drive from just about any direction, you are then stuck there without any charge provision.
A vehicle with a finite range and very specific fueling requirements is a totally dumb tow vehicle choice.
With most full size trucks you have a 700 mile range to get to your destination, for ice, beer, then hundreds of miles to refuel.
A niche vehicle is in my opinion a goofy choice to to anything any distance from home.
If you are driving your Model X and Airstream to the Grand Canyon, for example, then I am assuming you will stay in an RV park. Most RV parks in the US have NEMA 14-50 outlets at each campsite. The Model X happily charges on NEMA 14-50 (it comes with adapters). That's assuming there are no Tesla Superchargers along the way.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:30 AM   #66
1 Rivet Member

Buckeye , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamachine View Post
Boy this really goes along way in getting rid of the snooty rich people stigma of owning an airstream. anyone who saw this and wanted an airstream and thought they were for rich people only will really think so now. Rich can only afford Tesla and it is pulling an airstream so must be only rich can afford an airstream.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmpedRealtor View Post
I asked everyone I know, as well as new clients, what they think when they see my Tesla. I've had plenty of people ask me about the car, want to look inside, sit inside, etc. Nine out of ten people that I asked said it projects an image of success. Nobody said they felt that I was "rich" or "snooty". Personally, I don't see the world through that type of lens because doing so would require me to judge others in a negative way for being successful and enjoying the fruits of their success.
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamachine View Post
Must have hit a nerve there somewhere. I don't recall saying YOU were rich or snooty was just making a comment. Sorry didn't mean to get your painties in a wad.
Above is the full conversation trail. You said that pulling an Airstream in a Tesla will do nothing to get rid of the "rich and snooty" stigma of Airstream owners. I was simply sharing my personal experience to illustrate that owning a Tesla does not give off that vibe, and therefore will not add to the stigma which you say people already have about you owning an Airstream.

I'm not sure how you would come to conclusion that you hit my nerve or that my panties are in a wad from the above. As you can see, I am not easily offended and I try not to say things that would offend others.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #67
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Ok, you got technical, and I intentionally omitted this possibility.
We boondock a lit and rarely use campgrounds. My point was, a 250 mile cruising range is just way too short for people who really travel.
We towed 45000 so far this year. That equals a few minutes at truck stops versus days spent down charging batteries.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:34 AM   #68
1 Rivet Member

Buckeye , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
And when driving an EV car you are never caught in traffic of any type! Kewl!
One of the advantages of driving an EV in many states is unfettered access to the HOV lanes. This does save a lot of time during rush-hour commute. The Model S, particularly, uses very little energy while "idling" even when the AC is running.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:43 AM   #69
1 Rivet Member

Buckeye , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Ok, you got technical, and I intentionally omitted this possibility.
We boondock a lit and rarely use campgrounds. My point was, a 250 mile cruising range is just way too short for people who really travel.
We towed 45000 so far this year. That equals a few minutes at truck stops versus days spent down charging batteries.
I believe I said earlier that EVs aren't for everyone, and they aren't. For someone who road-trips 45,000 miles per year and tows an Airstream all of those miles, you are probably not a good candidate for a Model X. Let's also not forget that you won't be able to tow an Airstream 250 miles in a Model X. Model X range is 250 miles without towing anything. Adding another 5,000 lbs plus the additional drag will significantly reduce the range. Nobody knows what that is yet because the Model X was just launched a few days ago. There is not enough information.

However, many Model S owners have traveled to the Grand Canyon as well as Death Valley. The Ahwahnee Hotel offers Tesla-only charging for their guests. For those who don't wish to stay there, they can grab a charge at any of the RV park outlets.

Airstream and Tesla owners share a common passion for independence and the great outdoors. Most Model S owners take extended road trips in their cars when they didn't do that in their ICE vehicles. I don't know what it is about owning this car, but it makes you want to drive! There are trade-offs with everything. There are certainly trade-offs with towing an Airstream behind you for hundreds of miles, but people here accept those trade-offs because you gain more from the experience than you lose with the compromises. The same is true of driving an EV, or in my case the Model S. The underlying allure is independence - independence from big oil, gas, and the status quo. My passion for the outdoors has driven me to purchase a car that will help protect the outdoors for my nieces, nephews, and god children.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:10 AM   #70
1 Rivet Member

Buckeye , Arizona
Just to be clear, I'm not here to convince anyone to buy a Tesla. I came here at my business partner's request because she knows I own a Tesla and wanted me to address some of the concerns being expressed in this forum. I hope that I've brought some value to this discussion.