Old 04-20-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Terlingua, TX

Left cool Ft Davis this morning, it was 55. I had a nice scenic drive to Terilingua which is close to Big Bend NP. Diesel in Ft Davis was 4.38 and in Terilingua it's 4.60. It's also 97 in the shade, but it's a dry heat - it's still hot.

Here are some photos of the Terilinqua area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0005.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	787.6 KB
ID:	58699

Name:	DSC_0006.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	362.4 KB
ID:	58700

Name:	DSC_0008.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	706.2 KB
ID:	58701

Name:	DSC_0007.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	734.1 KB
ID:	58702

_________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Some things to check out

Check out the Starlight theater/restaurant: - excellent steak dinner:

Terlingua Starlight Theatre - Home

Also check out the Terlingua cemetery and the Terlingua trading company while you are there.

Lajitias (resort) had re-opened their RV sites after new ownership. It is sparce now, but will be rebuilt to be primo to refelct the rest of the resort.

Make sure you take the drive between Lajitas and Presidio on 170. Best to see it in the sunrise or sunset.

Diesel was at 4.36 when I was there a few weeks ago...

Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
Check out the Starlight theater/restaurant: - excellent steak dinner:

Terlingua Starlight Theatre - Home

Also check out the Terlingua cemetery and the Terlingua trading company while you are there.

Lajitias (resort) had re-opened their RV sites after new ownership. It is sparce now, but will be rebuilt to be primo to refelct the rest of the resort.

Make sure you take the drive between Lajitas and Presidio on 170. Best to see it in the sunrise or sunset.

Diesel was at 4.36 when I was there a few weeks ago...
We ate at the Starlight last night, and we all enjoyed our meals. We walked up to the old mines, and did the cemetary on our way back to the park.

Today it's Santa Elena Canyon, and Chisos Basin. Several of the people I'm traveling with have knee problems so that a long walk is out of the question. This will be about it for Big Bend. Tomorrow we take the river road to Presidio.

_________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Been there, done that - jealous!
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
does anyone know if that bar on the cover of Jerry Jeff Walker's Terlingua album is actually in Terlingua and still exists? one of my favorite records..."M is fer the mudflaps I put on mah pickup truck...O is fer the awerl I put on mah hair...T is fer T-Bird, H is fer Haggard...E is fer eggs...and R is fer.......REDNECK!" oh, if only I could write a lyric like that...sigh....
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:25 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Katy , Texas
I was there about a month ago.

If you decide to eat in Presidio, I highly recommend the Green Chicken Enchiladas at La Escondida. It's on the west side of town and is out of the way down a dirt road. Basically, pretend that you are going to drive to Ruidosa, but right outside of town take a left on Utopia Road, I believe. Go down the dirt road a ways and then take a left. Go down a bit further and it's on the right.

I also highly recommend driving the Davis Mountain loop. This was one of the highlights of our trip.

As far as other good places to eat -- Ghost Town Cafe was a pretty good breakfast, and we had a good meal at the Chili Pepper Cafe, too. These are both in Terlingua/Study Butte.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream 1529
We ate at the Starlight last night, and we all enjoyed our meals. We walked up to the old mines, and did the cemetary on our way back to the park.

Today it's Santa Elena Canyon, and Chisos Basin. Several of the people I'm traveling with have knee problems so that a long walk is out of the question. This will be about it for Big Bend. Tomorrow we take the river road to Presidio.

_________Tom
Last time I went to Santa Elena Canyon, it was almost completely dried up. Hope that isn't still the case. Back in the day, we paid a guy a couple bucks to row us across to Santa Elena itself, and we walked through the town (you could stand and one end and see the other). Stopped in one place and dined on bean chalupas and "rodeo cold" Carta Blancas. Good times...
Chisos Basin is nice, even in the middle of summer. The campground over near Boquillas is another story, though - hot and humid. If you can, try and check out Ernst Tinaja - it's very interesting, and only a short hike.

What's the fuel price at Panther Junction these days? I remember buying fuel at Study Butte, all the while gasping and coughing at the price. These days, that price would have been a bargain.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:29 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop
does anyone know if that bar on the cover of Jerry Jeff Walker's Terlingua album is actually in Terlingua and still exists? one of my favorite records..."M is fer the mudflaps I put on mah pickup truck...O is fer the awerl I put on mah hair...T is fer T-Bird, H is fer Haggard...E is fer eggs...and R is fer.......REDNECK!" oh, if only I could write a lyric like that...sigh....
Do you have a picture?

I'm guessing the picture was taken in Luckenbach.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:30 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bake315
Last time I went to Santa Elena Canyon, it was almost completely dried up. Hope that isn't still the case. Back in the day, we paid a guy a couple bucks to row us across to Santa Elena itself, and we walked through the town (you could stand and one end and see the other). Stopped in one place and dined on bean chalupas and "rodeo cold" Carta Blancas. Good times...
Chisos Basin is nice, even in the middle of summer. The campground over near Boquillas is another story, though - hot and humid. If you can, try and check out Ernst Tinaja - it's very interesting, and only a short hike.

What's the fuel price at Panther Junction these days? I remember buying fuel at Study Butte, all the while gasping and coughing at the price. These days, that price would have been a bargain.
I canoed up the Santa Elena canyon 3-4 weeks ago.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin
Do you have a picture?

I'm guessing the picture was taken in Luckenbach.
Yup, the album was recorded live in Luckenbach in 1973.

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
row across to Santa Elena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bake315
Here is our picture of the row boat operator in March 2001. We paid $1 each. It was a very easy, hassle free way to visit Mexico. No lines, no searches, no chicklets.
http://avion_texas-01/backdoor_entrance_to_mexico.jpg
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
No USCG Approved Live Vests!

[quote=Airstream25]Here is our picture of the row boat operator in March 2001. We paid $1 each. It was a very easy, hassle free way to visit Mexico. No lines, no searches, no chicklets...[/quote]

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:56 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin
I canoed up the Santa Elena canyon 3-4 weeks ago.
Ah, that's good. Hopefully it'll be that way for a while - though I'd imagine it'll probably drop a bit as we get into the heat of the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25
Here is our picture of the row boat operator in March 2001. We paid $1 each. It was a very easy, hassle free way to visit Mexico. No lines, no searches, no chicklets.

I guess it was... 1991 when we made our trip over, so it has been a few years... Considering how much little villages like Santa Elena depend on the few dollars they can get from folks like us who have made the trip, you know that the current state of things has got to be hurting them a little.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25
Don't try that today... In this post 9-11 / Increased border security world, if Homeland security catches you coming back, regardless if you are a US citizen, you will get a HUGE fine (and include jail time), as this method of border crossing is no longer "tolerated" anymore....

So, be careful if you do it...

Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote