Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2005, 10:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Tenn To Cape Cod

Heading from Nshville to Cape Cod begining in June. Good Sam has me routed over the Geaorge Washington bridge. It has been 40 years since I have driven this route and am a little uncomfortable with the idea of towing a 28 ft trailer over that bridge on I95. Do I have to be concerned or is it trailer friendly. I don"t have a lot of time to take scenic route.
CACTUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Last I was that way the roadway on the city side had hugh potholes and I suspect it's the same this spring. Run north and take the I287 Bridge at Tarrytown then back down to I95. Even this will have lots of traffic and you have to pay attention on the NY side to get back to I95.

Personally i would not go through the city. There is another thread with much debate about this issue.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:43 PM   #3
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Cactus,
We make a similar trip (Louisville to CT or NH) twice a year. Do not go over the GW! The traffic, crazy drivers, delays etc are only part of the fun. The road conditions on that stretch are terrible. Last time through we hit a pothole so bad three overhead lockers opened up dumping books, games and blankets all over the place.

To avoid the city, we've begun taking a slightly northern route across PA then head down to CT. It's about the same time but a slightly longer distance. We head up 71 to Akron then head over 80 through PA then down on 87/287 over the Tappanzee. 80 across PA is flatter and in my opinion prettier than 70, much easier for the Airstream. It is a "trucker" route so you need to deal with them, but it does not have a toll like 70 so it's a nice bonus at the end of a long state.

In your case you could shoot up 84 and get on 90 (toll road) which becomes the Mass Pike. Then get on 495 and pick up 25 out to the Cape. That'll keep you out of Boston proper.

I grew up in New England. And whenever we go back in the Stream we do everything possible to avoid traffic.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
We travel once or twice a year between Boston and SW Ohio and wouldn't think about going near NY City even without the trailer. I like the route swebster pointed out. 76 out of Ohio to 80 in PA, 80/81 to 84 around Scranton, PA, then 84 all the way through PA and the northern suburbs of NYCity (Newburgh, etc.) into Danbury, CT and through CT to 90/290/495, then out to the Cape. It's a much nicer ride and a bit less traffic I think.

Hope you have a great trip!

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 02:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Do not go on the GW. We only go over it in the middle of the night, and even then it is at a stand still . 495 is your best route to the Cape, don't go near the city. Depending on where you are going on the Cape you may want to cross at the Bourne bridge instead of the Sagamore. They are constructing a fly over to get rid of the rotary and it can get a bit cramped. If you can hit the cape mid week, bridge traffic is not bad. If you hit on a Saturday or late Sunday, you maybe sitting in traffic for quite some time.

Kathleen
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 03:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
The 80/81/84/90,,495 or look at I90 to 146 South to RI I195 East to the Cape. The time of day is everything. Saturday am the RI route should be OK while the 495 Route will be backed up at I90/I495. Then the I90 /I290/I495 is better.
On the RI route 146 merges with I95 from the Right and I195East Exits the two left lanes of I95 about a mile later while I95 South traffic is trying to exit Right for route 6 and the Mall. Fun time for all.

If you come down to I95 North of NYC then I195 to the Cape is an easy merge in Providence off I95. I95 also is very heavy from NYC to Boston, always...

They are working on I80 in PA in both directions during the week and I84 both direction just into NY. Weekends the lanes have been open. If an hour wait at the construction (maybe two or three times) will ruin your vacation you may want to go all the way up to I90 and run across NY to the Mass Pike. It's good road in NY and MA. Construction??

Don't you love your highway dollars at work
Old 05-24-2005, 04:39 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
North Branford , Connecticut
Been over the GWB half dozen times this year with a 28' in tow. Try to approach between the go-to-work times and it won't be too bad. Plus it's a scenic, fun ride.

You won't be avoiding much by traversing the TZ bridge.

I95 is a pita in CT until you are east of New Haven.

Stephen
stephen.s1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 04:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
Avoid GWB, 95 Southern CT, 195 east on Prov

Cactus,
Traveling the GWB route with your AS you will damage stuff (tough winter, many potholes, perpetual road work). Some things to keep in mind, southern CT on 95 is tough, heavy traffic, endless road work, we seem to always be delayed there. Coming into Providence on the 95/195 split to Cape Cod is under construction and very tough with many twists and turns. They also have reduced lanes for road construction east of Providence and you're squeezed pretty tight. The roads all over the Northeast are in tough shape from the tough winter so expect lots of potholes that may not have been filled yet. We went I-287 around Northern New Jersey and caught the Tappanzee over then connected again with 95 a couple months ago, much easier on the nerves and not much further distance wise. I think we also saved time because there wasn't any traffic delay. Timing is everything when you travel, if it's the wrong time of day you can get really stuck. We always tune into AM radio and get updated traffic reports, they can really help. It's too bad we don't have a listing of area radio stations that give traffic reports and when. I'll tell you that Boston is AM 1030 w/ traffic on the 3s. NYC is 1010 but I'm not sure when. I might be wrong but I think D.C. is 1500??? anyone know for sure. Is there anyway we can get this started with others adding for their areas????? It would be very usefull when we're traveling rather than fumbling through the AM dial. One more thing, we find it easier to go over the Bourne Bridge and then up the Cape side of the Canal for a couple reasons; the Cranberry Hwy (the Sagamore Bridge exit 2 way) is one of the deadliest roads in the US, a 4-lane road with no median, also the Sagamore Bridge fly-over is under construction, very messy. When we go over the bridge we hug the line, they're not the widest bridges. Just take your time and the extra space if you need. I have yet to have anyone beep at us because we were in their lane and they couldn't pass. Good luck and welcome to the Cape, enjoy your stay.
WBCCI #9204, Region 1, 1st VP NEU
TAC #MA-4
M&M CAPECOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:17 PM   #9
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet Satellite Radio

M&M CAPECOD,

Quote:
It's too bad we don't have a listing of area radio stations that give traffic reports and when. ... Is there anyway we can get this started with others adding for their areas????? It would be very usefull when we're traveling rather than fumbling through the AM dial.
Satellite radio has city traffic & weather for most major areas around the US. They pair two cities and switch between each every two minutes. An excellent tool when deciding approach through or around a metropolis.

The primary weather channel also is a great assist.

I utilized Sirius both in the TV & Airstream. It is also a great way to keep up with the market while driving the country! (CNBC/Bloomberg)
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
M&M has it right, take your time, avoid rush hours, take the Bourne bridge then up to 6. The Cape is a beautiful place in June, it is a little less crazy then. Enjoy your stay. Where are you planning on staying? If you need any food recommendations, fun things to do, etc, let us know.

Kathleen
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:43 AM   #11
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
Just one more opinion... I agree that the 80/81/84/90,,495 route is the best... I live in the Boston area and we did the trip in April thru Nashville (actually all the way to Tucson) and back. The hills in Penn. were testy but we made it fine. It may be a bit longer as far as mileage is concerned but the traffic / roads are better.
DEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
The work on the I81N / I84E junction is done and while there is still a rather sharp right turn as you go from 81 to 380 it is nothing like the mess it was for years. If you go that way work your way to the left lanes after you make the turn as 84 leaves from the left lanes. You are on 380S for a or so mile. 81N, 380S, 84E
Looking at the map why not run over I40 to 81N. Mountains?
Old 05-26-2005, 10:52 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Thanks to all I have my route mapped and I will let you know my opinion when I get back.

Special thanks to 65gt I have always wanted to do New York, now I have been encouraged. Can"t do it this trip though.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:36 PM   #14
Rick

Cactus,

I don't know how much time you have en route, but if you have a couple days for a detour, come on east on 40 to 85, then exit US 58 at South Hill and head east as far as you can go (to Virginia Beach). There is plenty to do, including one of the nicest beaches on the east coast. Colonial Williamsburg is only 45 miles away and deserves a day to stay. Then if you can swallow a $20 toll across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, Virginia's Eastern Shore and Chincateague is a worth the detour overall. You can pick up 95 in Wilmington, DE to head on up to the NE.
ambsdr4god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:55 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Thanks to all, We had a great trip went up 81 to 84 through Conn. The route was great, only complaint is the roads up that way are terrible! Did not stay in 1 bad campground, all were great! My wife and I now have the bug to do something else perhaps Niagra falls.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:28 AM   #16
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
Cactus,
Great to hear you enjoyed your time up here and that our advice was helpful. Where did you stay on the Cape ? Although I live near there I have not camped on the Cape yet.
DEO is offline   Reply With Quote