Old 02-12-2004, 09:21 PM   #1
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Cool Tell me your dirty laundry...

What do you do with your dirty laundry while camping?

We use a glad 33 gallon garbage bag. The first couple of nights its ok as we cram it under the bed storage. But by the 3-4 nights it gets too full and is in the way.

Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 09:25 PM   #2
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Re: Tell me your dirty laundry...

Quote:
Originally posted by Safari Tim
What do you do with your dirty laundry while camping?
Tim... sorry, but my wife, family and I try desperately not to fight or air our dirty laundry in public while we camp.

Roger

Old 02-12-2004, 09:28 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
When I took out the full range and installed a cooktop in it's place I decided to build a cabinet to fill the void. It is our laundry hamper. Before that we did the same thing you do, but with a mesh bag. We would take two on long trips and when one would get full it went in the trunk of the toad. On longer trips you just need to pack lighter and plan to go to a laundromat.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 10:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
dirty laundry?

what dirty laundry?...just throw it out and buy new....

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 10:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

We too use a mesh bag hanging in one of our wardrobe closets. But then, we have the closet space.

I understand that many people keep theirs in the shower, taking it out as necessary.

It may well be that dirty laundry is what all those overhead bins are for. Goodness knows I've never found any use for them.

Mark
Old 02-12-2004, 10:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Thumbs up collapsable mesh bag

We keep it in the little closet off of the bathroom in the rear of your trailer.. works great.. and not in the way .. what I have the problem with is getting towels to dry .. Annie
Old 02-12-2004, 10:19 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Tell me your dirty laundry...

I keep four nesting laundry baskets that fit in the rear of my tow vehicle that when full comprise a full-load in the typical laundromat washer. Each morning, I place dirty laundry in the appropriate basket (in the bottom of each basket, I keep Zip-Lock bags with detergent, all-fabric bleach; and a Downey Fabric Softener Ball filled with softener - - just enough for a single load of laundry). With this method, I always have my laundry readily available when a laundromat is conveniently available.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 10:49 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
Our 16' CCD has a hampers at the foot and head of the bed. The rear hamper is where the dirty clothes go until full. Then it goes into a mesh bag and into the back of our truck. We also took the advice of a fellow Forumer and bought 7 days of bath towels. Use them once and they go to the back of the truck. No room to hang them in the Pod to dry. Works great.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up when

Safari Tim
When I bought the Airstream, the PO had left a nice yellow plastic dirty linen bag hanging on a hook in the closet. What's nice about this bag is that, the bottom of the bag has a zipper, Allows you to dump the stuff without having to reach in. Other than that, wash what's needed, when needed for wearing...We tend to be and wear very informal, easy to care for clothes and, doesn't require much attention..This means..no ironing~!~
Swim at the ocean ALOT helps...lol

Hey..off subject..
How's the polishing job holding up??

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 11:54 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

I usually fill a rubbermaid container and then head to the laundry room every few days.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:13 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Round Rock , Texas
Re: Tell me your dirty laundry...

Quote:
Originally posted by overlander64
I keep four nesting laundry baskets that fit in the rear of my tow vehicle that when full comprise a full-load in the typical laundromat washer. Each morning, I place dirty laundry in the appropriate basket (in the bottom of each basket, I keep Zip-Lock bags with detergent, all-fabric bleach; and a Downey Fabric Softener Ball filled with softener - - just enough for a single load of laundry). With this method, I always have my laundry readily available when a laundromat is conveniently available.

Kevin
Sounds like you'd make a good wife, Kevin

Seriously, I know many women who would find that kind of behavior appealing. I've always done the laundry in the family to get out of cleaning the bathroom. I do most of the cooking so we can have edible food. My wife is , well, challenged in the kitchen.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:09 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

I've contemplated the idea of installing one of those apartment size washer/dryers. Has anyone ever tryed this? Do any of the higher-end TT's or MH's come with them? I know the dryers only spin dry so hanging the clothes somewhere to completely dry out may be an issue. But I would go to extremes to avoid spending time and money in another noisy and crowded laundromat. Or is this just part of the camping experience that I should learn to grin and bear?

bbb
Old 02-13-2004, 06:40 AM   #13
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Washer and dryer

There has been washer and dryer installations in a trailer. I believe there are some pictures of it on the forum.
The unit was completely re arranged and remodeled. I dont think there was bed in the unit. it was more of a base camp than anything. I think the people were into some dirty activity

No not that kind......... you sick people

I think they were into ATV or Motocross.

Also, I have seen the washer dryer combos installed in MH's.

It was very cool, The one I seen was running and I did not even know it until the owner showed it to me.

Washer/Dryers are taboo in some CG's especially those high faluting AS CG's.

I seen one the other day for sale in RV store. Scratch and dent for 595 dollars, that is an awesome deal. Those things run from 800 to 1200 dollars.

If I had room in my MH, I would have bought it. You need second closet like the 35-40 ft models.

As for dirty laundry, We used to put them in an over head locker, but wife did not like it. now she forces me to live with plastic hamper in bedroom. I HATE it.

But in the interest of harmony...............................

Smily
Old 02-13-2004, 06:44 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2 Five gallon buckets with tight lids:
1st for soapy water load daily before traveling
2nd rinse.
The travel motion is like a washing machine.
Hang dry in shower stall.
Dick