Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #1
Tampatomgirl

1990 34' Excella
Zephyrhills , Florida
Tampa to Portland

Howdy folks!
I'm looking for the best route between Tampa, Fl & Portland, Or. I've never attempted such a long trip and I'm concerned about mountainous terrain. I will be pulling a 34' Airstream Excella behind a 15' U-haul.
Can anyone advise the safest route?
Thanks in advance!
Tampatomgirl
Tampatomgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:15 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Just curious......

Did you mention to U-Haul that you'd be towing a 34' trailer?
Does the insurance that you purchase from U-Haul cover the trailer?
Is the hitch on the U-Haul strong enough to take the tongue weight of a 34'?
Is the U-Haul's hitch height the right height for your 34'?
Is the U-Haul equipped with a "functioning" brake controller? As we all know that U-Haul equipment isn't necessarily top flite stuff.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:59 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
I've done that trip hauling quite a load but not behind a Uhaul. Looks to me like the route google brings up is as good as any (I84 to I80).

As far as can the rig do the trip, I see lots of packed uhauls with car haulers on the back. I doubt an Airstream, even a 34, is any worse than a loaded car hauler. Abuse is what rentals are for, anyway.
brokeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black7beard View Post
. . .
I doubt an Airstream, even a 34, is any worse than a loaded car hauler. Abuse is what rentals are for, anyway.

Seriously?

The following post raises important points.

I doubt if the U-haul truck is rated for hauling a 34' AS, and I would put money on the rental company saying a big NO to the concept.

Good luck!

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Just curious......

Did you mention to U-Haul that you'd be towing a 34' trailer?
Does the insurance that you purchase from U-Haul cover the trailer?
Is the hitch on the U-Haul strong enough to take the tongue weight of a 34'?
Is the U-Haul's hitch height the right height for your 34'?
Is the U-Haul equipped with a "functioning" brake controller? As we all know that U-Haul equipment isn't necessarily top flite stuff.

Cheers
Tony
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:39 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

Seriously?

The following post raises important points.

I doubt if the U-haul truck is rated for hauling a 34' AS, and I would put money on the rental company saying a big NO to the concept.

Good luck!

Peter
You might lose that bet. The uhaul website says right on it all trucks come equipped with a ready to go tow package. Towing a trailer is listed something the 15' truck is "perfect" for.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Very doubtful IMO that includes a 34' triple-axle AS which weighs a ton and has a heavy tongue weight.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:13 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Tow capacity for a 15' uhaul truck is 10,000#. UVW of a 1990 34 is 7,100#.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
When you are nearing the Portland area, I think the best way in would be by I84. The area on I5 from Shasta California to Cottage Grove OR or so can be a challenge if you are not familiar with steep grades going up and down. I84 is windy and a little hilly but a much easier to drive.

I would be a little wary of towing with the Uhaul but then again, they know their business.

Good Luck
Old 04-06-2017, 03:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeboater View Post
Tow capacity for a 15' uhaul truck is 10,000#. UVW of a 1990 34 is 7,100#.
With the Uhaul truck fully loaded at capacity? Gross Combined Weight Rating for both vehicles might be the rub here IMO.

Doubtful this 15' on a van chassis fully loaded with 6,385 lbs. of cargo can tow a 10,000 pound trailer IMO.

https://www.uhaul.com/Trucks/15ft-Mo...uck-Rental/DC/

The manual says to check the door sticker for combined weight rating, and check with U-haul.

https://www.uhaul.com/Articles/Tips/...-Instructions/

Just like all the threads here about tow vehicles, the devil is in the details. I'll take the bet that this 15' unit full loaded can't tow the 34' AS!

Old 04-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampatomgirl View Post
. . .
I will be pulling a 34' Airstream Excella behind a 15' U-haul.
. . .
Curious whether you have checked with U-haul to factor in all the variables discussed so far, especially the GCWR of the entire rig [loaded truck and 34' AS].

Thanks,

Peter
Old 04-07-2017, 11:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I've never been to Portland, but I have been west many times.
I'd take I-75 north to Chattanooga, then I-24 NW to southern Illinois, where it meets I-57 for a bit, then I-64 into St. Louis.
You can bypass St. Louis by taking the I-255 around to the north, and it's worth it to avoid downtown/bridge traffic with a large vehicle, although the signs are confusing. (don't take the "to I-70" or you'll be back downtown!) Then there's a small cutoff near the STL airport I-270, that will shorten the trip a bit.
I-70 west to Kansas City, where I'd recommend the loop north, I-435, (and then Hwy 152 cuts straight across that! Good shortcut!) and then west again on I-70 (long boring drive to Denver) where I'd go north on I-25 to Cheyenne, then west again on I-80.
Wow! Long drive. In the west, don't try to stretch your fuel tank, fill up when below half a tank, sometimes there's a long way between exits.
I never had trouble finding campgrounds for the night except for Chattanooga to Nashville where there's a real lack of easy in/out campgrounds.
You'll hit some hills leaving Chattanooga, just keep right, it's not too long. If you avoid Denver to Salt Lake City on I-70 (by staying north on I-25) you'll avoid the steepest grade in the rockies.

Note: Atlanta is always a mess. Now with the overpass on 285 down, it's a bigger mess. Large vehicles are discouraged from going on I-75 right through town, but the east bypass is a long way too. Maybe someone from ATL can advise.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:25 PM   #12
Tampatomgirl

1990 34' Excella
Zephyrhills , Florida
As nuch as I appreciate some responses here, I'm not stupid. The U-Haul is rated for 10,000 lbs. It will have no more than 200 lbs in it. My AS weights 8000 lbs. unless you have specific information that will aid me in my trip, I'd appreciate it if you'd bet on a horsetace instead of my failure. Thanks to those that added value!
Tampatomgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:39 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Waynesville , North Carolina
YOU GO GIRL!!!

How much time do you have?
Do you prefer interstates, or not?
I assume you intend to camp along the way, are you willing to boondock occasionally along the way?

I have a trip planned from Fort Myers through the Portland area, but don't know if the route would be of advantage to you. Not much interstate travel

P.S., No one meant to be condensending. It's just our nature to pour out ALL the knowledge we have in the near equivalent of 140 characters.
2016 RAM 2500
FL Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
As nuch as I appreciate some responses here, I'm not stupid. The U-Haul is rated for 10,000 lbs. It will have no more than 200 lbs in it. My AS weights 8000 lbs. unless you have specific information that will aid me in my trip, I'd appreciate it if you'd bet on a horsetace instead of my failure. Thanks to those that added value!

No one is saying you are stupid.

Folks here are commenting with a purpose for not finding out you've become a crushed ball of aluminum and steel coming down Grant's pass. The problem of course is that we share the road with you, so we'd prefer not to join in. Hence the comments.

Some questions which you have not addressed.

What is the GCWR of the U haul?

It may be the TV is 'rated' for 10,000 lbs. Are the service brakes up to scratch for the combined load?

Does the U haul have an integrated brake controller with proportional braking?

If not, I assume you are comfortable relying on the brakes of a 15 foot heavily used U Haul truck down a 6% Interstate grade.

On topic, I've driven from Portland to Tampa twice.

In 2015, my wife's daughter had surgery, so I dropped her off at Portland Airport and drove my SOB Sprinter RV home. It took me 6 nights, averaging 600 miles a day.

Last year we drove home from Portland to Tampa in my 2500 Ram and 27' FC FB. We took longer, by the same route.

Both times, we went I84 to SLC, then I80 to Lincoln, South to KC, East on I70 to StL, then 55 / 24 to Nashville, Chattanooga, Atlanta then finally I75 to Tampa.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:21 AM   #15
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
My previous post was not meant to offend, but inform.

I have read and interacted with you in the past and come to the conclusion that this project has overwhelmed you, as recently you have tried to sell it unfinished and recoup your investment.

I was just concerned that trying to do something properly with limited funds can be a challenge and can also lead to great disappointment or accidents.

Goodluck with your endeavour.

Tony out.

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Well said Tony. Similarly, my concern was that the 15' U-haul truck was not a good tow vehicle, even if empty, and that risks were not being evaluated fully.

Out.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:28 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Silverton , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosch View Post
When you are nearing the Portland area, I think the best way in would be by I84. The area on I5 from Shasta California to Cottage Grove OR or so can be a challenge if you are not familiar with steep grades going up and down. I84 is windy and a little hilly but a much easier to drive.

I would be a little wary of towing with the Uhaul but then again, they know their business.

Good Luck
just north of Grants pass I believe is the only place I've ever seen a 25mph corner on a Freeway. most of it's ok in the summer though.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:31 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I 40 to Las Vegas. Stay at Oasis RV Resort. Go north through Nevada to I 80 then cut off to go Oregon. Avoid California. Nice place to visit but too much traffic. I still miss going to Rays games!
ewbradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:40 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
I've driven a few times between Tampa and St Louis, and plenty times from St Louis to Portland.

Here's the most boring (easiest) track from St Louis to Portland:
St Louis to Kansas City I-70
Kansas City to Omaha I-29
Omaha to Utah I-80
Utah to Portland I-84

Obviously there are plenty shortcuts, ex. you don't have to go all the way to Omaha before cutting over to I-80. Your GPS will help with that.

The steepest grades you will encounter are in eastern Oregon on I-84.