Old 07-12-2018, 06:39 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Woodstock , Connecticut
Tampa to Bar Harbor

The area from Danbury through Waterbury is always hectic. I just came back from TN and used 81..78...287 over the Tappenzee ..then to Hutchinson PWY..to Merritt PWY.. to 91. You come to 84 east of Hartford. Might be some issues with some of the underpasses on the PWY. But I believe if you are in the right lane under them you would be okay. The manager of our household(the wife) was wondering if campers are even allowed on the PWY. Hope this info will help.

Curtis

airforus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:59 AM   #30
D44
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Lawn Guyland , New York
There are no trailers, campers, commercial vehicles permitted on any New York State parkways in the metro NYC area. Lanes are narrow, underpasses can be less than 10' high and that type of traffic is prohibited.

- Not sure about the Merritt in Connecticut but would avoid that with a trailer, too, unless anyone from Ct chimes in.

- I believe the Garden State Parkway, at least the part that I take from the NJ Turnpike to get to Colonial Airstream, is OK. Not certain about the northern part.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:53 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Regarding 84, west of Hartford there are 3 or 4 sections where it becomes congested and I'm not a fan of it, but east of Hartford is fine.

If traveling to Maine, I would opt for this route because what are you options going further north in NY, 90 East? Not sure that would save much aggravation but it would add some time.

The person saying they cut through VT and NH intrigues me, while that sounds nice, there is no clear route through there?

I would opt for 84 through CT then connect with 90 east in MA, but make sure to connect with 495 and hub around Boston. In any scenario, hub around Boston on 495.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:59 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
stratford , Connecticut
No trailers on the Merritt parkway in CT. I95 in CT is usually a parking lot at any time. It moves but very slowly. Just a heads up there. Not many options for us in Southern CT. We always take the Tappen Zee never GW bridge. I guess itís just a busy part of the country.
patnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:36 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforus View Post
. . .
wondering if campers are even allowed on the PWY.
. . .
No!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Oak Grove , Missouri
keep to the US Highways

We decided long ago that if we were going to RV we were not going to be in a hurry. We drive 65mph with the Classic in tow and keep to the old US Highway system as much as possible. They are in good shape as most trucks avoid them. They do go through lots of small towns but that's a good thing. We are not in a hurry and so we enjoy the drive. Interstates are the pits, kind of like air travel today. Avoid when possible. There is more of the real America on the Mother Roads.
mbrownao24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:39 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I believe the Garden State Parkway, at least the part that I take from the NJ Turnpike to get to Colonial Airstream, is OK. Not certain about the northern part.I agree with the poster however it can get crowded on weekends as folks are going to the shore and or the Six Flag Theme Park.

As to the Northern section I have always found it heavy with traffic once you leave the Turnpike to go North. It gets a little lighter just before the last food stop but will pick up again when you exit on to 287 towards the Tappen Zee.

I95 in CT is usually a parking lot at any time. It moves but very slowly.
I also find this to be the case as the Southern portion usually has some form of construction however it does lighten up once you get to New London CT and is usually good until you reach Providence Rhode Island. As I am usually going to the Cape I veer off and go towards Bedford Mass. The few times we go the other way towards Boston and Quincy Ma the traffic will get heavy once you are near 128 especially if you arrive on a weekday during rush hour.

We always take the Tappen Zee never GW bridge. I guess it’s just a busy part of the country.

Always the Tappen Zee for us. And it should be even better now if the New bridge is completely open.

Couple of caveats: the I 95 corridor from Richmond VA to Boston MA is one of the most heavily populated in the States. Now you can't escape it all depending on the routes you decide to take. You can however eliminate some of it especially the Richmond to DC to Baltimore. First as some suggested take RT 17 to RT 64/ 464 to the Bay Bridge tunnel (which is a toll) then follow 13 through Salisbury to Dover or by pass Salisbury and take 113 to to Dover then the toll Road to Wilmington De and go across the DE Memorial Bridge to the Jersey Turnpike to the Garden State Parkway both are toll roads.

Another option and the one we use when going to Florida From Berlin Md is 113 to 13 to the BayBridge Tunnel then to 58 to Emporia and take I 95 South. When going North to the Cape it is 113 to the toll road to Wilmington to the DE memorial bridge etc.

I live on the eastern shore of Md and these are the routes we take to Florida and to the Cape
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:59 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
No one mention fuel cost however IMO the most expensive fuel is on I95 in Connecticut. Jersey use to be the cheapest but not anymore but still cheaper the CT.

urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote