Old 07-08-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Taking Pets into Canada from the US

Has anyone taken a pet into Canada from the US on vacation. We will be going in a month and would like to bring our dog. The websites I have referenced say that you need a current rabies certificate from a licensed Vet. Any experiences out there to share??

Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There

We have taken our dog into Canada several times with no problem. Even though we always carry his current shot record from the vet, no one from either the Canada or U.S. have ever asked to see it. Same with the yellow proof of car/trailer insurance that some of the Canadian web sites say may be needed. We have never had that checked. Have a great time!

fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
Usually Sleepy
1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
I had everything checked when I went over. I must look like I'm up to some criminal activity.
biggoofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Taking Pets into Canada from the US

Originally Posted by biggoofball View Post
I had everything checked when I went over. I must look like I'm up to some criminal activity.
Seven years ago, my experience was the same when crossing from US into Canada on a day-trip. Not only did they check to be certain that all of my documentation was in order, they inspected every square inch of my Suburban - - even inspected the sealed tubs where the "stinky-slinky" resided - - over two hours in the inspection area. . . .

P.S.: I had a special form that my Veterinarian had prepared for my Chihuahua - - it was in my file of papers, but she was waiting for my return in the Airstream at the campground.
Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:53 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Thanks to all of you. Sharing your experiences is very helpful to me and verifies what the Canadian government has on this website:

Canadian Food Inspection Agency - Health of Animals - Importation of Pet Dogs

All the best and thanks again,
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master
2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Have all the paperwork - they may not check but you will have an expensive time at the border having to go back and get the documentation at the last minute.

10 years ago they checked everything we had - pet records got a very close look.
Michael & Tina with Layla and Preston BZ
The family has grown.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master
1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
Easy trip

We just came back from a trip to Canada and had no problem with our dog . We took his rabies certificate, shot record, and an animal health certificate ( certifies he has been examined by a Vet and is healthy) ; all original and signed by our Vet. When we crossed into Canada I handed over our passports and all our dog's papers; the inspector aked if that was his rabies certificate I said yes and he did not even look at anything and handed the dogs papers back to me. Coming back to the US we were not asked for any of our dog's papers. Best to have everything and then you will have no problem.

I was surprised how smooth and quick our border crossings were. I spent about 10 minutes on the return trip giving a tour/ "inspection" of our AS to a very plesant customs agent who was interested in vintage Airstreams ; it made my day.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
1970 23' Safari
Columbia Falls , Montana
We live 45 minutes from the Canadian border and visit friends there, often taking our horses. Dogs require much less documentation than the horses, but either way it is completely dependent on the inspector on duty as to how carefully they examine your paperwork. Also be prepared to have every nook and cranny of your Airstream inspected as well. Have a great trip!
MTsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, it was many years ago that we went to Canada with two dogs. From California through Oregon and Washington, into Canada. We drove across Canada and re-entered the United States in Montana. This was where all of the questions and proof of documents were requested. I wondered, what if we got rejected in Montana? Would we have to go back to Canada? We felt very strange, thinking that maybe we wouldn't be allowed to return to our own country.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:24 PM   #10
1994 25' Excella
Pensacola , Florida
My wife and I just returned from a trip to Canada. All we needed was the letter from the vet saying the dog was healthy and up to date on shots. No one ever looked at it.

Pcolaflkid is offline   Reply With Quote