Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2016, 07:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Taking Guns into Canada - NOT

See:
http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/vacations...rder-1.3032305

The Canadian Press
Published Wednesday, August 17, 2016 12:26PM ADT
Last Updated Friday, August 19, 2016 7:57AM ADT

SAINT JOHN, N.B. -- Two Texas men who tried to bring hidden guns along on separate Canadian vacations last weekend have lost their guns, been fined and sent home.

In short, don't mess with Canada.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Lucky to get off that easily, I suspect. Handgun can get prison time.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Its the same for Canadians taking guns into the US. There is 0 tolerance. The only way is if you have a written invitation to a shooting competition or a valid US hunting licence and you need to pre apply for a permit. I shoot skeet and trap and would like to shoot at some of the ranges when traveling in the US. I have talked to the proper authorities and there is no way to legally bring a shot gun into the US. Fortunately most of the larger ranges rent guns, but I would prefer to use mine.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Interesting, there was thread about this on the TCT Facebook page. I believe it was finally deleted because of all the derogatory and insulting remarks about Americans from some of the posters. The remarks actually were surprising because Canadians are usually so polite in their insults. I have been to Canada several times for Police/Military shooting matches. We take our personal weapons. Certainly there are hoops to jump thru and a little paper work. Play by the rules and there are no problems. Their country, their rules. Just like in the US or any other sovereign country. Go north and have fun but remember you are a guest in their country.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
hmm. Question Alaska bound travelers, How do you take a gun when traveling to Alaska? The reason I asked is I just watched a special on camping in Alaska and they mention two things important to take 1) a gun and 2) bear spray.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-.../#.V7h4ang8KrU

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:00 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
Easy for long guns and still possible for side arms. When we did our Alaska trip three years ago Canadian customs did not even ask to see my 12 gauge pump. I just printed the required form on line and already had it printed. We did have to come inside while they ran my driver's license and collect the $25 fee. You can get a permit to transport for a side arm, but each Ind agent can deny entry if they don't like your looks. Never never lie to a customs agent!
Old 08-20-2016, 12:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Thanks AWCHIEQF and D Greene, that clarifies it.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:32 PM   #9
LifeIsShort

2013 22' FB Sport
Winter Park , Colorado
Just returned from Alaska with a lever action rifle. I keep hearing of all these "nightmare" scenarios, and yet I encountered only friendly Customs agents in Canada (three entries on this trip). Like any border crossing, be cordial, follow the rules. My firearms declaration form did not format correctly on my HP printer. The first Canadian agent happily reprinted it for me, filled it out for me, and had me sign it. It was that simple.
Tsmith.wp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Yeah... on the lighter side just try crossing into the US with a lime or a lemon! and we have all learned that smuggling and/or not declaring is a far more serious issue. Follow the rules and I always get through; sometimes it takes a little longer, sometimes just a few questions and a wave
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:39 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
Yeah... on the lighter side just try crossing into the US with a lime or a lemon! and we have all learned that smuggling and/or not declaring is a far more serious issue. Follow the rules and I always get through; sometimes it takes a little longer, sometimes just a few questions and a wave
JCW
You can get a list of what you can take into the U.S on line just by going on the Customs site on line, I crossed the border every week for 30 years as a truck driver and now I go across every Dec cause I'm retired and come back in April, but I always check in case there is any changes.
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Interesting, there was thread about this on the TCT Facebook page. I believe it was finally deleted because of all the derogatory and insulting remarks about Americans from some of the posters. The remarks actually were surprising because Canadians are usually so polite in their insults. I have been to Canada several times for Police/Military shooting matches. We take our personal weapons. Certainly there are hoops to jump thru and a little paper work. Play by the rules and there are no problems. Their country, their rules. Just like in the US or any other sovereign country. Go north and have fun but remember you are a guest in their country.
Wasn't that here on Airforums?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Wasn't that here on Airforums?
There might have been a similar thread on Airforums, but I definitely saw it on Facebook too. I don't recall anything terribly rude, but the discussion was getting into the merits of gun control and some very biased information was being presented.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:50 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
you can get permission to take them. you have to apply in advance, pass a background check and be issued a permit.
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Americans can bring guns into Canada if they follow the rules, but are discouraged from doing so. This was in this morning's Toronto Star:
Canadian government to American tourists: Leave your guns at home

Old 08-30-2016, 01:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
So, if you are a fulltimer and carry a couple of handguns, want to visit Canada for a few weeks but don't want to bother with the hassle of taking them back and forth across the border are there any types of services that will store your handguns? Do gun shops near the Canadian border offer this service?

Kelvin
Old 08-30-2016, 02:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
So, if you are a fulltimer and carry a couple of handguns, want to visit Canada for a few weeks but don't want to bother with the hassle of taking them back and forth across the border are there any types of services that will store your handguns? Do gun shops near the Canadian border offer this service?

Kelvin
This advice is from: http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-.../#.V8XrkpMrKHo
Storing your weapon at the U.S. or Canadian Border
It is not possible to store your guns at the U.S. or Canadian border crossing. If you want to check your firearms into storage you must do it before you get to the border crossing. One of the more popular recommendations for doing this is to rent a local safety deposit box. You can also look up the gun shop nearest to the border crossing you intend to use, and call them to see if they have any recommendations specific to their town.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:46 AM   #18
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We just last night returned from a LOOoooong trip with our Airstream through Canada along the way to Alaska. I went through the same apprehensions in our planning about carrying a long gun for safety reasons. In the end we did not. I had read the rules about bring a long gun across the border and found them to be reasonable and very clear. We did many roadside overnights through BC and Yukon on the way and even a few in Alaska. We never had any experiences where I regretted not to bring a gun with us. So unless you have plans to do a lot of back country camping ( we did not) I would advise to not bother with guns. From the roadside we did see many black bear and one did poke around one of our roadsides during the night but no close personal encounters.

Go, enjoy yourself and have a great time and make your decision regarding firearms. OH, and add tomatoes and nectarines to the list of NOT to brings back into the US. Go figure.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
If you're carrying a gun as protection against bears, here's something else to think about from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service: Bear Spray vs. Bullets: Which offers better protection?

Old 09-09-2016, 05:43 PM   #20
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post

Kelvin
Nope. Which is surprising.

One of my personal business ideas is going to offer FFL transfer from Whitefish to another location in Alaska for travelers and a storage facility for your firearms. Probably a few years out, but I haven't found anyone offering this service. And it seems like it could be a money maker for those traveling. Basically a safety depositor for firearms. But, lots of research into that first.

What I do know is only an FFL dealer can easily send your gun from here to there. But most usually charge a fee at both end. The key would be reducing the fee and hassle and on site storage till your arrival.