Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2016, 06:10 PM   #21
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Greene View Post
Easy for long guns and still possible for side arms. When we did our Alaska trip three years ago Canadian customs did not even ask to see my 12 gauge pump. I just printed the required form on line and already had it printed. We did have to come inside while they ran my driver's license and collect the $25 fee. You can get a permit to transport for a side arm, but each Ind agent can deny entry if they don't like your looks. Never never lie to a customs agent!
Shot guns are fine as long as you don't declare them as personal protection. Rifles are a whole different ballgame as there are many rifles, especially military assault rifles that are either restricted, or prohibitive weapons in Canada; don't even dream of bringing in your AR-anything. As for handguns or side arms, they will be seized and destroyed if you don't declare them as you are not allowed to bring any hand guns over the border. I can't imagine the hoops you'd have to jump through to bring a pistol across the border legally.

As far as lying to a border agent, you'd better be good at lying if you want to do it, but in some cases telling a little white lie would be smarter. Case in point, NEVER admit to a US border agent that you have EVER smoke Mary-Jane (no matter if it was decades ago), EVEN if you didn't inhale; you will be told to return back to Canada and never return to the US.

Also certain offences are have different consequences. Drunk driving charges are enough to not allow you to cross into Canada; where as the US, it's not a big deal. Smoke a joint before entering Canada might get you a stern look from the border agent but on the US side it would be a whole different ball game.

When crossing the border in either direction I carry no citrus, no vegetables, dairy or eggs and no firearms; It's just easier this way, as once flagged at a border crossing for a violation, however small, you can be assured your border crossing days will be long and involved.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:24 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Coming back from Alaska I got to Beaver Creek BC and had real hang-up getting in to Canada. It took hours and $175 CA because they made me Bond ever thing that was in my van. I had NO GUNS,NO AMMO but they went through the van good and I know it was because I had NRA,GOA stickers and license plate frames and sticker that said "Don't trust the government that dose not trust your gun". To us in USA that is free speech, but all it does is make Canada Customs .
Old 09-09-2016, 07:31 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
"One of my personal business ideas is going to offer FFL transfer from Whitefish to another location in Alaska
What I do know is only an FFL dealer can easily send your gun from here to there."

I think this idea will only work with long guns. I know that a resident of one state cannot receive a handgun from a ffl in another state. If you buy a handgun you have to have it shipped to a ffl in your home state and prove residence when you do the transfer. You can go to Alaska and buy a long gun from a ffl, but not person to person. Not sure you can sell it though. Maybe to a ffl but certainly not a person to person sale. You can not go to Alaska and buy a handgun unless you are a resident of Alaska.

What I do not know is if there is any way to ship a handgun to yourself in another state and then go pick it up?? Or ship it to a third party non ffl and then pick it up? I doubt that you can do either though.

I winter in Fl and sometimes go to the gun shows. But the only way I can actually buy something is to buy a long gun from a ffl or buy a handgun from a ffl and have it transferred to a ffl in my home state who then can transfer it to me. I am not sure all states even allow the long gun purchase but I know many do.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:45 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini View Post
...To us in USA that is free speech, but all it does is make Canada Customs .
It's free speech here as well, but just remember that free speech can have consequences. Canada is not the same as the USA and it's best to remember that.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:04 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
So, if you are a fulltimer and carry a couple of handguns, want to visit Canada for a few weeks but don't want to bother with the hassle of taking them back and forth across the border are there any types of services that will store your handguns? Do gun shops near the Canadian border offer this service?

Kelvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Nope. Which is surprising.
I know of a gun shop in Minnesota that used to offer this service, but I don't know if they still do since the owner retired and someone else is managing the store. They rented lockers for that purpose.

Last time my wife and I took the Airstream to Canada we concluded "the game wasn't worth the candle". The international bureaucracy isn't worth the hassle. Plenty of places we still want to travel in the US. If we wanted to take the Airstream to Alaska I think I would take a hard look at the Alaska Ferry System.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:54 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Go, enjoy yourself and have a great time and make your decision regarding firearms. OH, and add tomatoes and nectarines to the list of NOT to brings back into the US. Go figure.
Trump is building a wall to keep out the tomatoes and nectarines, rest assured.

Maybe Canada will pay for it? Unclear.

Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:27 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini View Post
Coming back from Alaska I got to Beaver Creek BC and had real hang-up getting in to Canada. It took hours and $175 CA because they made me Bond ever thing that was in my van. I had NO GUNS,NO AMMO but they went through the van good and I know it was because I had NRA,GOA stickers and license plate frames and sticker that said "Don't trust the government that dose not trust your gun". To us in USA that is free speech, but all it does is make Canada Customs .
Well, you did advertise that you're a gun owner, and they're specifically looking for undeclared firearms.
I don't imagine it takes much to initiate a search when crossing the border in either direction. Most of the time they'll trust what you say to be true, but it's certainly not uncommon to be pulled over. For that reason we always make sure we declare everything accurately.

It could also have been a random check. I use a NEXUS card to cross the border but have still been pulled over for random searches, it can happen to anyone.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:08 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
and.....don'y you dare try to bring firewood into the States. US Border guys/gals will provide a wheel barrow to roll it back into Canada.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:11 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
and.....don'y you dare try to bring firewood into the States. US Border guys/gals will provide a wheel barrow to roll it back into Canada.
Yes, that goes both ways and is something we're often asked when crossing the border with the trailer. We do bring firewood in the US and declare it if asked, but it's all scraps from woodworking projects in my workshop. They've never asked to see it or had further questions when I tell them that.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #30
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
Yes, that goes both ways and is something we're often asked when crossing the border with the trailer. We do bring firewood in the US and declare it if asked, but it's all scraps from woodworking projects in my workshop. They've never asked to see it or had further questions when I tell them that.
Very true, as kiln drying any wood kills off any bugs, so many parks or places will accept woodshop scraps for firewood. Firewood okay, just not firearms.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:52 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
It's free speech here as well, but just remember that free speech can have consequences. Canada is not the same as the USA and it's best to remember that.
OH am well reminded I am married to a Canadian.
and I did live there for awhile.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:55 PM   #32
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Everyone is missing the irony that these guys were from TEXAS. Talk about STEREOTYPE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
"One of my personal business ideas is going to offer FFL transfer from Whitefish to another location in Alaska
What I do know is only an FFL dealer can easily send your gun from here to there."

I think this idea will only work with long guns. I know that a resident of one state cannot receive a handgun from a ffl in another state. If you buy a handgun you have to have it shipped to a ffl in your home state and prove residence when you do the transfer. You can go to Alaska and buy a long gun from a ffl, but not person to person. Not sure you can sell it though. Maybe to a ffl but certainly not a person to person sale. You can not go to Alaska and buy a handgun unless you are a resident of Alaska.

What I do not know is if there is any way to ship a handgun to yourself in another state and then go pick it up?? Or ship it to a third party non ffl and then pick it up? I doubt that you can do either though.

I winter in Fl and sometimes go to the gun shows. But the only way I can actually buy something is to buy a long gun from a ffl or buy a handgun from a ffl and have it transferred to a ffl in my home state who then can transfer it to me. I am not sure all states even allow the long gun purchase but I know many do.
Shipping and buying are two different things. But only someone with an FFL can ship a weapon from my understanding. You yourself can't place a gun in the mail.

I know there are services, at least this was my understanding. I haven't researched it extensively. But I do talk to enough full timers, and we all think, wouldn't that be nice. Just an idea for now.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:51 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I had to send my gun back to the factory for a recall fix. They sent me a FedEx label along with packaging instructions. A few weeks later it was returned the same way (fixed and all shiny clean).
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote