Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2002, 12:41 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Survival supplies On the Road

Looking for info on tools, parts and pieces to prevent any unscheduled road stops. We don't carry liquids as oil and water as most cross roads have same. We also have lots of gages for early warning of a failure. My sweetheart suggested not bringing all the tools. I post my list after a few others contribute. Our puller is an old Fold diesel with auto trans. Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shop boxs   .jpg
Views:	550
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	108  
Old 04-17-2002, 08:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
This question came up just before the April Motorhome rally. There are several replies midway through the Generators thread. That thread is in the AS Knowledgebase forum, AS Motorhomes sub-forum.

You may wish to take a look as those responses.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...=&threadid=153
Old 04-17-2002, 05:31 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Hi Frank. That picture you posted looks like you have two times more tools than I do. I just take a small tool box with me that weighs in at about 15/20 lbs. It has most of the hand tools that I ever need with alot that I never have needed. I have a couple of shoe boxes that one has my rivet stuff & a few odd tools, the other box is full of odds & ends parts for the Airstream TT. Its just full of fuses, door hinghes & about 100 other pieces. I do need stuff out of that box once in a while. This last trip one of the hall closet doors came open I must have hit a rough road with it open, cause the hinghes bent & some of the screws pulled out. I did have a set of spare hinghes & longer screws & was able to fix it. I now put a short piece of 4x4 under the door that holds it closed & supports the weight of the door while under weigh. I always carry a spare fuel filter for the truck.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 06:43 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

I am toolaholic in treatment

The tools I carry for the RVs are not pictured. These tools are in a few Sears 4 drawer top boxes.
In my earlier post, I was seeking the most common, but hard to easily get repair parts. Most of todays RV and cars require very specialized radiator hoses. As such, we fabricated fittings for top and bottom hoses that merely require some short lengths of a hose size. This "idea" was borrowed from the HD trucking world. The big rigs most only use straight lengths of hose. The hose is sold by the inch, about $1.25. Enough for now.. After some other posts, I'll post my list of "keep on goin'" stuff.....Frank

Below is a picture of our other RV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gmc 4107-922  .jpg
Views:	406
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	111  
Old 04-18-2002, 08:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
When traveling Southern California highways, it is wise to carry "K" rations. I won't say that the traffic moves slow, but many drivers talk about fuel economy by refering to "gallons per mile." Even the "Queen Mary" got "13 feet per gallon of fuel." Talk about progress????Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 12:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Extra tools/supplies

Frank,
I carry an upper radiator hose (can be shortened to fit lower if need be), a serpentine belt (can be one you replaced earlier because it started squealing), full set of Craftsman screwdrivers, 5 different types of pliers (diagonals, linesman, slipjoint, needlenose, regular), rivetgun w/5 sizes of rivets, all kinds of fuses for trailer and truck, extra Quest/Pex water tubing/fittings, folding shovel, tow strap, 200 psi air pump (12 v.), bungie cords, rope, 3 sizes of electrical wire in 25 ft. lengths, extra battery charger/maintainer and a compass (military/tritium). I leave the house with two-four 2 litre soft drink bottles that have been filled with water and frozen. By the time I get to my first destination, the frig and contents are cool and I can fire up the propane frig. I then move the frozen bottles into the freezer if I'll be on the road the next day (110 v./propane frig). This gives me a source of cold water to drink or for the radiator if I need it in addition to the 5 gal. and 2 gal. fresh water containers I also carry. I also have a couple full MRE's, at least 10 brownies/snackcakes and 20 packets of Koolaid from MRE's. I've probably forgotten something. I use to carry an extra qt. of oil but quit that years ago. I do run synthetics but if a synthetic oil is not available I can use a compatible dino oil if need be.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 08:03 PM   #7
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Like I said before, I never travel without
1. A tested alternator
2. A tested starter

way too much trouble to get them fixed on the road and expensive...
Just ask eraffety, why the 89 345 is not in California.
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 01:54 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Peter, the starter is probably a good idea. When I was sitting in a gas station in Bakersfield Ca this last Feb, I saw a older Ford pick up come around a corner & his starter was hanging by the cable. Something I'd not seen before. I was wondering how he had got it started the last time with it that loose. He must have pushed it. Then it might have been that way for a while & he hadn't looked under the truck, just kept pushing it.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote