Old 06-04-2010, 07:58 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I tow at 16,540 lbs at 65 plus mph and average just short of 12 mpg to and from NJ to FL.

I do not have a good none towing mileage since I do not use the 6.0 around town or without the trailer.

As for modes on the 6.0 Ford. The week link in this engine are the head bolts. Ford took a great IH engine and modified it to compete with GM and Dodge in the hp race. In doing this they went beyond the limits IH had set for the engine. Increasing the HP causes the head bolts to stretch and the head gaskets start to leak. The bolts can be replaced with after market studs but that is a very expensive job requiring the cab be removed on a pick up and the front end removed from an Excursion.

The EGR system is weak link. Over time the coolant will eat through and leak into the EGT and thus into the engine. There are several kits available to remove the EGT system but you have to have an anti Nadder gene to do this.

The turbos if not used out on the road and just city driving will cause the inner ring of the turbo to bind and give what are called turbo farts on quick deceleration. If you are towing regularly this should not be a problem. I bought my Excursion from a soccer mom and had that problem.

2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #16
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
I know this when I travel with my diesel friends we all stop for fuel at the same time and You may get ahead on longevity but I will still spend less than you in total cost of vehicle and fuel in the long run.

Maybe for some . . but for those of us others running the numbers and spec'ng a diesel truck for economy (a Cummins engine by default), that -- all the numbers -- will blow any gasser clear off the road. The past 19,000 miles my total fuel consumption is at an average of 22.7 mpg. Highs of 27 highway, and never below 18 in town. Purchased used at 1/2 cost of new when 3-years old. I also expect to see 250k on but two sets of tires and brakes. No, not all highway miles at all. And, with a Dodge CTD, not uncommon.

Towing our 34' SS at 63 mph averaged me 13 mpg on the two-laner, stop-in-every-little-town roads, and 15 mpg on level Interstate. Had I dropped below 60 to my current favored roadspeed (1,725-rpm) I would have broken 16. I've had my share of 8-mpg vacations. And, I need the truck for other uses. So studying, analysing and changing habits, even minor, was central. The truck has to pay for itself with lowest overall cost.

I compared my rig with another man with the exact same truck but with a gasoline motor (who'd kept extensive records and had a similar trailer) taking into account purchase price, finance, depreciation, expected maintenance & repairs, re-sale, etc: If fuel cost for diesel was no more than 50-cents higher then the comparison was a wash in out-of-pocket costs. And I seriously doubt his truck will show -- no matter the level of maintenance -- the same level of performance as mine at above 200,000 miles when compared to new. If gas motors could, they would . . and none of us would buy a diesel.

Ed Wallace is a nice guy (I'm from Dallas), but his comments are for the general public.

Tightening emissions requirements have changed things lately, but they may change again in favor of diesel. Frankly, the idea that ANY work vehicle not so equipped isn't any longer tenable. The horsepower war is dumb, but once we have some 1/2T trucks (5/8T, I guess) with smaller diesels then some sanity for RV'ers will return. As in, a non-income producing vehicle needs a lesser or more compatible drivetrain.

As to stopping for fuel, sure, we're friends . . and I might as well top up.

Of course, if they're REALLY friend, then lettin' 'em drive a Ford or Chevy diesel, well . . there's probably one lucky guy out there with a 6.0 with accurate records and determined to drive for economy. A search should turn him up. Then, this thread'll be cookin' with, ah, gas. . . .

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote