Old 07-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
I used to swim at Blue Springs when I was in college at Stetson in nearby DeLand. A beautiful spot. I also like the old grist mill for pancakes at DeLeon Springs State Park about 5 miles north of DeLand (but no camping there).
I agree that the view at Bahia Honda is wonderful. I had a waterfront site looking back toward old bridge. But, it was very windy (and unseasonably cold for January) and I had a fair amount of road noise. None of the key parks are bad - I just like the layout of Curry Hammock a little better.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:02 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Long beach , Mississippi
Key west

Has / or is anyone doing the Key West Naval station RV park this year ? ( That is our ultimate destination) and it will be our first time.
Jasmine

Old 07-16-2015, 08:53 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Our Keys state park preferences, with favorite first:

Long Key
Curry Hammock
Bahia Honda
Pennecamp
Old 07-16-2015, 08:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I understand that you all love the Keys state parks, but how in the world do you get a reservation? They were all booked when I checked a year in advance. Do you all sit a a computer at the exact minute they open up?? Inquiring minds want to know (I made reservations at Jolly Rogers for January due to no openings at State Parks)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:05 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
We live just north of the Keys (Redland FL), and our schedule is flexible, so we watch for and grab last minute cancellations and go, as long as the stay is at least 3 days. Best, Joe
Old 07-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Why would anyone want to come to FL during the summer? All we can think of is going north to get out of the temp, humidity, rain and the mosquitoes.

>>ron<<
Old 07-16-2015, 10:36 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
My thoughts exactly.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:26 AM   #22
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by carver 1 View Post
Why would anyone want to come to FL during the summer? All we can think of is going north to get out of the temp, humidity, rain and the mosquitoes.

>>ron<<

EXACTLY!!! Jeez, everybody comes down here in February and thinks, "My, how pleasant!" Then, they return for an August visit... As their faces melt into their laps, the last, desperate thought to go through their steamed brain before they succumb in the 95% humidity, 98 degree oven that is summer in Florida, is, "Satan HAS to be here somewhere..." Then a monsoon dumps on their swollen, bug eaten corpse, and promptly, the sun comes back out to start the whole cycle over again.

I'm looking for a nice piece of property in upper Michigan to spend 6 months out of the year... And, no, I won't stay there through that frozen hell they call winter.

-Red, possibly a bit dramatic...
Old 07-16-2015, 01:28 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
The summer in Florida is no worse than the summer in Mobile, Alabama. I went to high school in Mobile without air conditioning. I can take the heat and there is no denying it was hot. But, my trip occurred as a matter of scheduling convenience. My favorite time to enjoy the beaches and other water based attractions is late September to end of October. 10-15 degrees cooler than middle of summer, water is still warm and not as crowded. But when you work and you have young kids you have to travel when your schedule permits.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:40 PM   #24
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I did say I was possibly a bit dramatic...

-Red, qualifying every statement...
Old 07-16-2015, 06:06 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky B. View Post
I understand that you all love the Keys state parks, but how in the world do you get a reservation? They were all booked when I checked a year in advance. Do you all sit a a computer at the exact minute they open up?? Inquiring minds want to know (I made reservations at Jolly Rogers for January due to no openings at State Parks)
yes...at 8:00 sharp and no guarantee you will be sucessful

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:25 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
We have just lucked out 3 times in the past four years. Once I was up at 2 am one January, and just happened to look...and bingo...four days during July 4 th week. Someone must have just canceled, and I snatched them up. Didn't even wake up my husband to ask if it worked with his schedule. Next time, I got reservations about 7 months out. This time I snatched up four days that must have just opened up while I was looking. Keep trying...it will happen,
megandrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:39 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Jarrod,
Our trip to Curry Hammock was awesome! Very quiet, great for kayaking, shelling, and swimming out on the sand bars. Saw lots of wildlife....including 6 manatees that went right under our kayak! I think I prefer Curry Hammock over all the other parks in the keys. My husband still likes Bahia Honda best. I want to book for next summer already!
megandrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:44 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
That's great. I kayaked by a manatee at Ft Desoto in July and it is a neat experience. Im looking forward to being back at Curry Hamock in November.