Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2019, 12:53 PM   #21
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Passport America lists parks that need business. Sometimes less popular due to age, but they can also be just enough off the path to have open sites.

COE camp grounds are also off main roads and often less used. In Summer, since they are usually lake or river locations, you may find them full of boaters, but worth a look. Mid week can be better.

Look at winery facilities to see if they have camping.

There is a fellow who started the thread "tell me where to go". He found a lot of places by looking for roadside signs. We found an interesting place by asking the folks at a full park. People want to help.

If you get to the end of a day with no solution, talk with the desk at a local police station. Sometimes they have an answer. Never tried it but folks say it works. May take a big smile to connect. The solution might be the next town down the road. If the street is not marked for no parking, it can be at least a temporary solution. Even if you get a knock on the door to move on, a power nap is much safer than proceeding if you are tired. And ask the officer if they know of a place where you can stop.

Small towns have parks to encourage business for local shops.

Dry camping - no electrical, water or sewer - can be more available than FHU sites. The road into Arches from the East skirts the park and runs along tune river. Lots of small parks along that route. The ones in town and close to the NP entrances are full. Works that way other places too.

Get away from populated areas on weekends.

Doing without sewer - an electric/water site - is often less expensive and more available. Staying one night can be accommodated when several days is more difficult.

What works one time may not be so good the next, but a full quiver of ideas can help you find solutions.

Stay away from truck stops. They are noisy and the truckers need the space. If you stay at a rest stop, use the car side. Park under a light away from the rest rooms.

Good luck with your trip. Remember to stop, get some rest and regroup when your plans blow up. Tomorrow is always brighter. : Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Tammy's original post was dated 5/31 so there is a good chance that they are on the road [from New Haven to Acadia], or very busy getting ready to leave IMO.

[click on orange arrow in quote to go to Post #1]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary_pop View Post
. . .
. . . Heading off in 2 weeks from the east coast. Starting in Acadia, wrapping up in LA around the end of Aug. Everything in the middle is TBD...
. . .
Tammy
Have a great trip, Tammy, and please update us when you have a chance.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:42 PM   #23
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Your 2015 likely does not have solar. Several folks mentioned a generator. Consider it. We found we could get by without. It takes a lot of space, but if it matches your travel style, you should find a way to carry either a solar suitcase or a generator. Propane fuel option can give you flexibility that helps. Look at the dual fuel Champion. Not horribly expensive and many like the model. It is available in a larger size that will give you AC. Do not run out and buy. They are available everywhere. See how your trip goes. You may never need either.

Learning as you go is part of the fun. Pat
Old 06-15-2019, 10:19 AM   #24
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
I went to look for these over the weekend, but couldn't find any at Costco... defiantly need some lights.
The brand is Duracell. They normally locate them down the aisle from the bulk battery display. We do notice that individual Costcos vary in their product mix. Sorry for sending you on a wild goose chase.

Hope you find an alternative that is acceptable. Those headlights mentioned prior are great.

Luck on your trip. Pat
Old 06-16-2019, 10:11 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Laguna Woods , California
I own a 2016 22FB Sport. You may not have enough battery power to support your needs unless you are staying in campgrounds with full hookups. If you are boon docking you will need more power to support your needs. I discovered this right away. Change to at least 2 deep cell 6 volt batteries. You will not be disappointed.
jeffshetler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:59 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Ya, I know we are late in the game for reservations...
any suggestions on how one can find alternative maybe less popular spots?
Hope the trip is going well! Are you still monitoring this thread?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 06-16-2019, 04:46 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Bountiful , UT
Take the train up and opt for the bus on the decent down the mountain. The train is stretched (in tension) on the accent making for a smoother trip. Going down on the train is a rough, jerky ride.
56ovalwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:04 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
San Diego , California
Ideas for kids

I haven't trailered with kids but I've camped with kids, and camped as a kid, all my life. Here are some of my top tips:
My parents, and we in turn when we were parents, packed a "treat" for each day. Sometimes it was a small craft project, sometimes a book, sometimes a candy bar, sometimes cash to buy something of our choice like an ice cream bar. Always cheap stuff. The rule was, if you're good, you get it after lunch, but otherwise you'll still get it later in the afternoon. I remember as a kid how this really gave us something fun to look forward to. Driving in a car can be boring when you're a kid, and this gives them incentives, and something new to play with. My kids loved the tradition.

Second, as you go try to think of what will interest a kid. Instead of slogging through a hike, point out the cool bug, or you can even give the kids a treasure hunt of things to look for like a leaf that has been chewed by a bug. When we were at a cliff dwelling at Mesa Verde I remember as we crossed a stream pointing out to my daughter that this is where she would have filled up her little pot to take water out to her daddy working hard in the field. It brought alive the rest of the ruins for her, as she imagined what it would have been like to live there. I always enjoyed a chance to just get my toes into the woods and imagine being an explorer. Adults have a tendencency to drive past or through things like the badlands - kids want to stand with their bear toes on the badlands.

Also, when we came to stops, I would find a safe spot to run, and challenge the kids to race to that tree or whatever. Anything to get them actively moving at rest breaks. When we were little, we had doll carriages we could push, and that would get us moving. Later is was a frisbee.

Frankly I don't know how I would handle the cell phone issue, especially as they get older. I'd be tempted to just say they have to stay off, but that may not be practical. A trip is a good time to get them reading more, so I'd suggest bringing lots of books that are fun for their age. And I recommend letting them choose books related to what they're seeing. One of my favorite activities on one vacation was reading about Tubby and Cubby in Yellowstone Park. It somehow made the scenery much more fun. Kids live in imaginations, and I think that's why books like that helped. It helped us imagine what it would be like if we were bears.

Also, squirt guns are fun for everyone on a hot day. Hope some of these ideas help.
seshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:16 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Ya, I know we are late in the game for reservations...
any suggestions on how one can find alternative maybe less popular spots?
How is the trip going? Not sure if you still onboard here.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 06-24-2019, 01:38 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

new haven , CT
Day 5!

Hi everyone,
Huge thanks for all the advise and tips. We have already started implementing getting a cooler and doing indoor clothes.

We also quickly found that the battery on the 22 sport is too small for our needs and are planning to get a generator in our next spot, thinking it would offer more flexibility for long travels.
We are now heading west slowly via PA on our way to South Dakota. After a rough start (kids didn’t sleep...) we are getting more into a good travel mindset and getting excited about exploring!

Tammy
mary_pop is offline   Reply With Quote