Originally Posted by mrsdinapoli
... We're packing everything into our gutted Airstream and driving down..cautionary takes...
this is a gutted 70s 31 footer with NO flooring or sub floor?
lots of issues trying to do this.
1. ya need a floor.
2. ya need a floor ATTACHED to the frame/shell.
3. are the axles 30+ years old?
4. do the brakes actually WORK? how are the tires?
5. is the INNER skin intact or removed?
6. leaks, leaks, leaks, are there any leaks?
7. how much stuff is gonna be packed inside (the weight matters)
8. how is the STUFF gonna be secured?
9. stuff will ROLL/move/shift around and the walls/skin are NOT up to supporting that action.
10. pacting MUST account for tongue weight, which should be 10-15% of the total..
11. heavy stuff should ideally go over or just ahead of the axles and LOW LOW LOW to the floor.
12. keep stuff away from the windows, IF you want intact glass after the trip.
13. if the floor is rotted there may very well be structural RUST to the frame also,
14. so the floor/frame/shell channel integrity is important.
has this been done before? sure. can it work out ok? sure.
but a lotta bad can happen too.
and where in socal are u gonna store the stream after UNloading it?