Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2016, 01:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Missoula , Montana
Suggestions for Portland, OR

Hello all! We have so appreciated all the suggestions that were shared when I last wrote back in August. We are now officially retired and living in our 19ft Bambi with our golden retriever, Sailor.

It has been a crazy month because we had to delay the fun part and travel from Montana to Connecticut (in the Bambi of course) to help my husbands 90 & 92 year old parents for almost 3 weeks. We are now heading back across the country to the west coast (Washington & Oregon). I promise to post pictures, reviews for sites we stayed in and shake down stories later once in Oregon for a few days.

Question now is has anyone stayed anywhere near Portland, OR before? We are meeting family there for a few days and want to stay on for a couple of days to do some needed repairs and restocking. Any help here would be great!

Oh, one of the best suggestions for our trip that we got from this forum...AllStays app! Love the darn thing! Thanks to all...

Cheers
Jo, David & Sailor
wando1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:06 PM   #2
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
yes. Go to www.reserveamerica.com. Search on Champoeg State Park. It's a little Southwest of Portland and located in Wine country.
glcmranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:30 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Missoula , Montana
Thanks so much for the info glcmranger! Further than we originally wanted to be but it looks worth it!
wando1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:31 PM   #4
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Champoeg State Park is awesome, highly recommended. If you have to be closer to town or that park isn't open when you want to camp, we did stay at another private RV park in Tualatin. Not spectacular by any stretch, too many long term residents, but the laundry room was very clean and the rest rooms / showers were pristine. Those things are important if you are camping dry (e.g. in a winterized trailer), as we were at that time. Here's a link to reviews on TripAdvisor: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...n.html#REVIEWS

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
For being close to Portland I would second Champoeg state park. Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Whenever we head that way we stay at Crown Point. Not fancy but very clean and close to groceries etc. They also give the Passport America discount which always helps.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:38 PM   #7
honi soit qui mal y pense

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Another vote for Champoeg SP

Awesome spot. Stayed many times.
2016 Chev Silverado LT Crew 4x4
Robere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Whenever we're in the Portland area we stay at Roamers Rest rv park www.roamersrestrvpark.com in Tualatin.

Now a bit farther out in McMinnville is Olde Stone Village RV Park www.oldestonevillage.com they are right next to the Spruce Goose . www.evergreenmuseum.org

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
Whenever we head that way we stay at Crown Point. Not fancy but very clean and close to groceries etc. They also give the Passport America discount which always helps.
gandttimes, Thanks I presume this is your reference.

http://crownpointrvpark.com/

I'm always looking for close in getaways and this is a great location and an easy drive to Portland from the East.

wando1997, you might also look in the Dundee/Newberg area (Just S of Portland), west and across the river from Champoeg SP. There are a number of RV parks (in the google search) and you're in the heart of wine country.

Note Oregon State Parks are the best!

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
gandttimes, Thanks I presume this is your reference.

http://crownpointrvpark.com/

I'm always looking for close in getaways and this is a great location and an easy drive to Portland from the East.
Correct.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Old Stone is a very nice park and close to McMinville which has great restaurants and wine tasting. Roamers rest or Pheasent ridge is as close to Portland as you can be, but not as nice. Nice enough though.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
We stayed in the McMinnville area in August for a couple of weeks.....with last minute reservations....risky in mid August. Champoeg SP near Newberg is always great, especially B Loop.
It is reasonably close to I5.

Olde Stone Village RV Park in McMinnville is very good. Evergreen Museum next door to Olde Stone Village RV Park will let you dry camp in the rear of the parking lot for a night or two. I would avoid Willamette Wine Country RV Park in Dayton.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:14 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
I was in Portland in August (not camping) and had absolutely amazing meal at Beast if you decide to go into town for a splurge dinner. It is a fixed course dinner served at a community table - you can look up each weeks menu on their website.
White Rose was my favorite winery outside Dundee.
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:05 AM   #14
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Old Stone is a very nice park and close to McMinville which has great restaurants and wine tasting.
Old Stone looks like a nice place. Here are a couple of reviews: https://www.campendium.com/olde-stone-village-rv-park

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:29 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wando1997 View Post
. . .
Question now is has anyone stayed anywhere near Portland, OR before? We are meeting family there for a few days and want to stay on for a couple of days to do some needed repairs and restocking. Any help here would be great!
. . .
This older thread may have some other helpful suggestions for places to stay for a few days . . .

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ay-134912.html

Not sure how far out of town you want to be with your specific needs?

Have fun!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Re: Things to do while at Olde Stone Village RV Park, McMinnville, OR

If you make it to Olde Stone Village RV Park in McMinnville, the Glockenspiel in Mount Angel makes a nice day trip.

You may not have to wait for a scheduled time to see the Glockenspiel in action. When we were there, we wondered if there was a tour since we missed the scheduled time to see it run; and they asked everyone in the restaurant if they wanted to see the clock. Then, everyone went out on the street; and they started the clockworks even though it wasn't on the scheduled time. By the way, we also had some great German food and bier while we were there!

We spent two days going through the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum. This museum is one of the best on the west coast and rivals the Museum of Flight in Seattle.

Tip: If you enjoy science museums, a membership to an ASTC member museum can get you free admission at over 600 museums, worldwide: http://www.astc.org/passport/

Additional information on ASTC: http://www.astc.org/about-astc/

==========

A previous post has more details. However, some of the link are old and my not work:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post1515728
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:48 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
The ASTC reciprocal benefit is great. My home town science museum in Mobile, Alabama - exploreum.com - offers annual $65 mini-family memberships. This is two adults or one adult and two children. Full family memberships for up to 6 are $100 for the first two years and then $80. I've used the reciprocity at numerous museums each year and annually save more than I pay for my membership.
I have not seen a lower annual membership so you might check out a distance membership in the Exploreum if you don't have a local museum you can enjoy as part of your membership.
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:15 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Go on RVParkReviews to get suggestions for places to stay in the Portland area.There are awesome state parks in Oregon, so Google Oregon state parks.
tburnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:00 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
SW , Colorado
We stayed at Roamer's Rest for a week last year and it worked well - clean, good facilities, friendly staff. We were visiting family so we wanted a place close to Portland. It is located near a lot of stores, so restocking is convenient. If you are looking for scenery, some of the other recommendations might be better. We would definitely stay at Roamer's Rest again.
TwoSporks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:33 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by glcmranger View Post
yes. Go to www.reserveamerica.com. Search on Champoeg State Park. It's a little Southwest of Portland and located in Wine country.

Just visited this park yesterday and it is beautiful! Biking, hiking, disc golf, nice level and paved campsites. Visited two wineries on our way home to Roamer's Rest where we are staying for a month while visiting our daughter and SIL who live in Portland. Roamer's Rest is well kept with nice and clean bathrooms, showers, and laundry, but pretty close quarters on most sites. Full hookups are nice when staying a month, but no campfire rings.
Diego is offline   Reply With Quote