Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2019, 08:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Cary , North Carolina
Suggested routes to head East from Redwood NP

We are planning a cross country trip from North Carolina across the Oregon Trail route to Portland and then down the Oregon coast, to end up at Redwood NP. I have the western route planned, but what is the best way to head back home? I am thinking of taking 299 to I5, then 44 and stopping at Lassen Volcanic NP and then continuing to 395 to end up in Reno. Once we get to Reno we can head home on I80, but I need your feedback on traversing Northern California towing my 27FB Airstream. How feasible is my suggested route, and does anyone have any other suggestions?
silvereagle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
What time of year and how much time allotted for the return trip? Any other specific way-points?

Crucial parameters IMO.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:17 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Sanford , Arizona
I have no advice, but would like to follow along to see what folks suggest. Sounds like a fun journey!
SewStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
We drove from Seattle to St Louis via Redwood NP.
We have a 28’ and have had no problems on any of these routes / sites. I would note traffic in Napa was nightmarish! If you're expecting quaint vineyard filled backroads like we were you'll be disappointed.

Our route via key sites:
Redwood NP
Avenue of the Giants (don't miss)
Yosemite
We chickened out on Kings Canyon / Sequoia after reading about old, narrow, windy roads in the park. I regret it now - probably would have been ok and we have more experience now than then.

We have also driven I80 from St Louis to Seattle. We went through SD, WY, MT, northern ID, WA and not N CA. If you time it right you can see Reno Air Races while seeing Lake Tahoe.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:18 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
We plan to leave NC 2nd week in July and take a fairly slow pace exploring the key sites along the Oregon Trail. We know it will be hot and the peak of the vacation season but we had no choice on our timing. We will probably reach the Oregon Cascades area at the beginning of August. We have found several state park campgrounds along the way but we have not made any reservations at this point in time. We probably will try to reserve a week ahead or book private more expensive campgrounds if they are full.

Some of our desired locations we would like to include the following. Note that we ordered an Oregon Trails map from the National Park Service which is awesome for our planning:
- Kentucky Horse Park - Lexington,KY
- Missouri Star Quilt Company - Hamilton,MO
- Lincoln Home and Museum - Springfield,IL
- All of the Historic Trails Interpretive Centers - Independence,MO, Casper,MO, Montpellier,CA, Baker City,OR, and Portland,OR
- Oregon Trail highlights- Fort Kearney, Scottsbluff area, Fort Bridger, Massacre Rocks, Three Island Crossing, Columbia Gorge
- possibly Mt Hood area
- good sample of Oregon coast (I have seen lots of great suggestions on other threads on this forum - thanks!)
- Redwoods NP, CA
- Lassen Volcanic NP
- Golden Spike NHS - near Ogden, UT
- Trip home we will probably be ready to just drive back, even with no stops for attractions (will be missing the grandkids too much!)
- Hopefully back home by 3rd week of August
Old 03-10-2019, 09:22 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsgolf View Post
We have a 28’ and have had no problems on any of these routes / sites. I would note traffic in Napa was nightmarish! If you're expecting quaint vineyard filled backroads like we were you'll be disappointed.

Our route via key sites:
Redwood NP
Yosemite
We chickened out on Kings Canyon / Sequoia after reading about old, narrow, windy roads in the park. I regret it now - probably would have been ok and we have more experience now than then.

We have also driven I80 from St Louis to Seattle. We went through SD, WY, MT, northern ID, WA and not N CA. If you time it right you can see Reno Air Races while seeing Lake Tahoe.

Thanks for the confirmation that we can navigate these roads! In July 2015 we went to Sequoia and Kings Canyon and did not have any road or driving issues. We even took Tiago pass over Yosemite what a spectacular drive, but you must go slow and easy down the grades and curves.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:29 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
seattle , Washington
We just came across 299 from ReddingToArcata with a 33 Classic. Two passes to cross and very scenic.
reddogboyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
I agree with reddog. I've traveled 299 many times. It is a truck route so flows well. Used to be many scenic pullouts along the trinity river. You did not mention season. I believe 44 thru lasssen to old station is closed in winter... Sometimes late spri in heavy snow years like this one. S to reno thru susanville is a good road and truck route...always open. I noticed baker city (wally b's home town i think), you may want to consider lake wallowa & Joseph.

Btw all of the or coast sp's are great...but don't overlook the county parks, such as harbor vista in florence. Note some sp's such as honeman (s of florence at the dunes) can be over run with atv activity. Beachside is a coastal jewell but you length may be an issue.

B
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:56 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogboyce View Post
We just came across 299 from ReddingToArcata with a 33 Classic. Two passes to cross and very scenic.

Wow that’s great! You are building up our confidence now! Thanks!
Old 03-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvereagle2 View Post
We have found several state park campgrounds along the way but we have not made any reservations at this point in time. We probably will try to reserve a week ahead or book private more expensive campgrounds if they are full.
If you pass a National Park (this goes for state parks too) that has no reservation openings or even has a "Full" sign at the gate, go inside and find a "Park Host". These are civilians who trade a free space for their work assisting campers after-hours. I've found them friendly, helpful, and much more knowledgeable than the Park Rangers.

For a recent example, we visited Big Bend last April and the sign on the road up to the Chisos Basin campground (no large trailers allowed, but we're in a 21ft. Avenue class b) said "Full". We decided to drive up anyway for the view and there were actually several sites available. Park Host admitted they don't know back at the station what the available sites are.

We also stayed in several Texas State Parks that were "Full", yet had a half-dozen spots opens. One park host said they keep one or two sites in reserve in case they have a problem with power or water at another site. Some National Forest campgrounds had reservation tags on nearly every site and yet were half empty.

People reserving spots and then being no-shows is the bain of camping in my opinion. Wasting precious spots on a nightly basis. We travel off-season and I know this would not work in popular parks that are severely over-crowded with visitiors, but I wish more parks were first come/first served. It hurts to see empty slots.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Western Springs , Illinois
Took 299 a few years back from Crescent city to Redding it was a ok route. Not many steep climbs lots of beautiful scenery . Many miles of switch backs which wore my arms out. We were towing a 25 ft Classic with a Toyota Tundra
wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:09 PM   #12
Rhodey

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Antelope Island

When on I-80 near Salt Lake, camping at Antelope Island State Park is a must. Schedule a couple nights if you. The wildlife is spectacular: saw bison and antelope while sitting in chair outside. Several times each day 3 to 12 bison wondered through the campground. Quiet. Well spaced campsites. Interesting history. Memorable.
RHODEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:03 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Galt , California
Planned trip from RNP

Being very familiar with all the roads you mention(you only missed 101 to 299), I would say you will have a beautiful drive. I assume this is for Summer or later, as Tahoe right now has 50' of snow. You would be pulling a few healthy grades, so your tow vehicle is a critical factor. there are some windy sections on 299, and 44, but CALTRANS has done a great job in turning much of those roads into virtual freeways (my opinion)Take your time, and enjoy the scenery.
AB Steen
2017 27'FB International Signature
2017 F-250 4x4 lariat crew cab diesel.
absteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:45 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for setting the time frame in Post #5.

Quote:
We plan to leave NC 2nd week in July and . . .
. . .
. . . Hopefully back home by 3rd week of August
Rounding things off for a "big picture" perspective, you have 40 days to do a 8,000 mile round-trip, is that about right?
[averaging ~200 miles per day]

This torrid pace, including setting up and breaking down your campsite, will be quite difficult IMO, so you might want to consider shortening the route [because your timing appears to be fixed]. If you have 2 drivers who can tow, that will help.

Plenty of traffic and crowds to deal with during the summer.

Food for thought . . .

Have fun!

Peter

PS -- If you went to Dorst Creek NP in 2015, maybe you have a good sense of the pace already?

[click on orange arrow in quote to go to this Sequoia thread]
Quote:
We are planning to camp at the Dorst Creek NP campground with our 27FB in June.
. . .
Old 03-12-2019, 08:21 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks for setting the time frame in Post #5.

Rounding things off for a "big picture" perspective, you have 40 days to do a 8,000 mile round-trip, is that about right?
[averaging ~200 miles per day]

This torrid pace, including setting up and breaking down your campsite, will be quite difficult IMO, so you might want to consider shortening the route [because your timing appears to be fixed]. If you have 2 drivers who can tow, that will help.

Plenty of traffic and crowds to deal with during the summer.

Food for thought . . .

Have fun!

Peter

PS -- If you went to Dorst Creek NP in 2015, maybe you have a good sense of the pace already?

[click on orange arrow in quote to go to this Sequoia thread]

You make a very good point. I guess I didn’t fully consider the total mileage here. The good news is we don’t have a fixed return date in August so we could extend another week or two. We will do some more detailed planning allowing for only 350 miles a day and several non travel days as well. Thanks
Old 03-12-2019, 04:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
I'm sure you are barraged by suggestions but i couldn't resist. There is a great restaurant down at the wharf in Trinidad, just n of Arcata/McKinleyville. In good weather it is a gem and always has fresh fish and chips. Since it is even even further down the hill than the few blocks of "town" and it looks like a pier it mostly gets ignored. Since it is a launching ramp serving ocean capable fishing boats, the road down is good and plenty if trailer in tow parking.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Se...f016322f7bea62

As for driving time on #99...from Blue Lake to Willow Creek, plan for extra time with many hills and curvy roads limiting speed. It opens up and flows much better after WC to Redding.I

Have a great trip.
B
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:44 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great Google Earth shot, Bob. Very helpful with the parking advice.

Peter
Old 03-24-2019, 11:14 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clearlake , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsgolf View Post

Our route via key sites:
Redwood NP
Yosemite

The route mentioned in the OP is nowhere NEAR Napa Valley, and traffic in Napa is fine other than Friday-Sunday northbound and Sunday southbound. American Canyon is awful at most times but that is only for a few miles and there are ways around it.
napabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:24 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clearlake , California
I suggest you bookmark this page and check the conditions ahead as you go: http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads....&submit=Search
napabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:01 PM   #20
WA Airstreamers in AZ

2015 23' International
Port Orchard , Washington
Just drove thru Redwoods NP last July and discovered we should have avoided Santa Rosa... ugh, such sluggish, rude traffic. We managed, but noted "never again".
ABHughes is offline   Reply With Quote