Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #21
JT

1973 27' Overlander
El Paso , Texas
I really didn't think about getting our AS stuck before your post but added a 5/8" rock climbing rescue rope (retired from ropes course) and a come-along to our equipment. I have helped people who were stuck and have been helped by others and have been shunned by others who could have helped but would not...but not often. I would not like being one of the campers who could not help. When others have gone out of their way to help me they have "paid forward" for themselves and others because I am inspired and will pass it on. The only way we can bring about a lasting change in other peoples behavior is by being a good example. I am sorry about your unfortunate experience and hope you have better ones in the future. And I agree that the Marine had a poor excuse. He could have at least tried.
jimbob79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Asa former serious 4 wheeler I have found many times the Hi Lift jack would work in situations the Warn 8K winch could not be used or wouldn't handle the job.
More than once I jack up the front of the Blazer and pull it over the jack inching out little by little until I could drive or just winch.

I wonder how it would work with the AS jack up the front with the HI Lift to the height of the jack then pull the trailer from a dry spot (assuming a dry spot in reach) or in 4 wheel drive, it does not take much to tip the jack forward and gain a few feet at a time. PITA but eventually you get to a spot that will give you traction.

Kind of sad no one volunteered to help I'm the type who would just have to offer whatever I could do to help out.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:51 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
I never miss a chance to pull some one out

I disconected the truck from the trailer and pulled it out then went back hooked up the trailer to my truck and pulled the trailer out
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:54 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob4x4 View Post
I never miss a chance to pull some one out
Awesome. What kind of truck do you have?
Old 05-31-2013, 10:34 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofcontrol View Post
Awesome. What kind of truck do you have?
Nevermind, I see the list in your signature.
-K
Old 06-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California

Pulling an h1 over the top
Pulling 2 race trucks in tandem from water crossing during the Baja 500
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofcontrol View Post
Awww. That looks like a good time! slingin' mud, gettin' dirty... I carry tire chains in my truck for winter snow that I've used in mud to help someone out of a hole...
-Kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydimitt View Post
Have toted chains around for the last 40 something years , the only time I ever had to use them was for MUD , it's a nasty and dirty dripping wet process but they do work extremely well when you have to use them...
When you're re-evaluating your emergency kit... don't miss these two earlier comments by outofcontrol and dannydimitt. I'll be the third to say that a set of tire chains on a 4WD rig can do a lot - your Suburban, with all 4 wheels chained up, in low range, is a pretty formidable pulling machine - mud or snow! And, that's less than a $100 investment.
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:43 PM   #28
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
With the passage of time I've finally taken a serious run at re-doing the recovery kit we usually carry. I've devoted some thought to the various roadside troubles I've had over the years and thought about the patterns and the lessons.

Broadly, careful maintenance is a big part of keeping the journey uneventful, and though it didn't contribute to this particular snafu it's something I'm being more intentional about. I've always done tire pressure and tread depth checks but I'm now also starting to do 1-hour cooling system pressure checks, and I'm replacing engine starting batteries every four years even if they test OK.

I've replaced my existing full size spares on pickup and suburban alike with a new tires, and in one case a new wheel because they were, realistically, shot.

And I've added self-recovery gear. I'm basing my kit on 5/16" grade 70 transport chain, which has a working load limit of 4700 pounds. It's as strong 3/8" high test (grade 43) or 1/2" proof coil (grade 30) chain, but much lighter. I'm carrying two 25' lengths, each with a grab hook on one end and a slip hook on the other.

I'm replacing my existing 2"x20' nylon tow strap with a 30' long one.

I'm adding a Maasdam Pow'r-Pull 1 ton come-along. They're better made than most other brands and will actually pull 2000 pounds. I'll be carrying an inexpensive snatch block (pulley block) to match.

Also adding a pair of cluster hooks. These fit into keyholes in the frame rails of nearly all cars, as they are used to anchor cars in place during shipment from the manufacturer. Useful for pulling a friend's minivan out of the mud, or using a friend's minivan as an anchor point.

I'm including a larger 24" bow saw, both for dealing with fallen trees blocking the way forward (or out), and for cutting logs to use as recovery poles or corduroy.

A Gerber folding spade rounds out the kit, for removing snow and mud when stuck, and for burying the spare tire as a last resort.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:51 PM   #29
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The two pieces of chain weigh 27 pounds each, and the other kit components total around 18 pounds, for a total of 70 pounds of kit.

Cost wise I'm at around $250.

Despite the advice, I'm not carrying tire chains, because of the hassle and expense and limited applicability. A set of four is $150 and weighs 52 pounds.

As much as I like hi-lift jacks, I'm not bringing one. They're great on the trails. However they are heavy, expensive, and awkward to carry and store and tend to get grease all over everything. Usually I travel where there are trees and other anchor points available so the come-along works for me at less cost, space, and weight. Hi-lift jacks cost $75 and weigh 33 pounds.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:24 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I missed this thread the first time around. Ugh, what a mess.

I know if someone had asked me for help, I would have wanted to help, although I don't know what I would have been able to do since I don't carry ropes/chains/etc. Maybe next time we're at Harbor Freight we should pick up a tow strap - light, cheap, easy to store, and oh so good to have when you need it.

I've found people in campgrounds are always willing to help when you have a problem. Sounds like you weren't in a campground in the usual sense, though.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote