Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Streaming Thru National Parks

Good afternoon.

I've been reading and living vicariously through the threads of those of us who are fortunate enough to be on the road with our AS's. I came across the thread from "Hagarstream" (I think that's right) and they mentioned driving through Yellowstone and past "Old Faithful".

That made me wonder the following: Are we permitted to tow our streams through the National Parks even if we aren't camping there?

Just wondering -- for future reference. One of these days we are planning to start heading West on trips our there with "Lola", our '99 Safari 25'.

Thanks.

Deb

PS -- Thanks so much for allowing us to tag along through your wonderful stories.
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yes.
Most national parks and national monuments have visitor centers also.
Sure, there are some roads that are closed to trailers or are too steep and twisty.
most national parks have an entrace fee, so you will need one of the passes if you do it much.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Entrance fees to National Parks, National Forests, National Monuments, etc. can be covered by an $80 annual pass. For seniors 63 and over, a lifetime pass is $10; and it covers the same items. This does not cover camping, shuttle buses, and any concessionaire services. However, even at $80 per year, it's a bargain.

More info at: America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass

We have used this pass for entrance to Yosemite, Sequoia, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Rocky Mountain NP, Great Sand Dunes, Grand Canyon, Joshua Tree, Guadalupe Mountains, Carlsbad Caverns and numerous other places.

Also, the senior pass qualifies for 1/2 off on camping fees, also a bargain.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
While the subject is extended to entrance fees for parks, be aware that most states have senior pass cards also, which gives you reduced or no fee for the entrance to state parks. Check with your Parks and Recreation Depts.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
If Glacier is on your itinerary, it is a beautiful park to visit, but you'll need to take the trailer to the other side by a highway the goes around the park. The road through the park can handle pickups and SUVs but not much more. As far as I know the road across Rocky Mountain National Park is not restricted, but it is best left to the more experienced drivers if towing a larger trailer.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
What would you consider a 'larger trailer'? Is a 27FB considered a large trailer or a small one in the grand scheme of things?
Old 07-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The senior pass (which now has a very long and unmemorable name) is available when you are 62, not 63, for $10. It will get you and anyone in the car into the federal area and is good for a lifetime. It lets you into all parks and national monuments for free and you pay half for camping in them and national forests. Some things you pay the same as everyone else—to go into Cape Hatteras Lighthouse costs, for example, though the park has free entry for everyone. Places with parking garages offer no breaks either (Hoover Dam and Mt. Rushmore, for ex.). So they do have loopholes to this, but still, it is a big bargain and I doubt it will last much longer for newbies.

Most roads are ok. Some parks have 4WD roads as well as normal ones. The Going to the Sun Highway at Glacier is also restricted.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix
Entrance fees to National Parks, National Forests, National Monuments, etc. can be covered by an $80 annual pass. For seniors 63 and over, a lifetime pass is $10; and it covers the same items. This does not cover camping, shuttle buses, and any concessionaire services. However, even at $80 per year, it's a bargain.

More info at: America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass

We have used this pass for entrance to Yosemite, Sequoia, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Rocky Mountain NP, Great Sand Dunes, Grand Canyon, Joshua Tree, Guadalupe Mountains, Carlsbad Caverns and numerous other places.

Also, the senior pass qualifies for 1/2 off on camping fees, also a bargain.
A minor correction. The senior lifetime pass age is 62. I just got mine last week. Its an amazing deal!
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Senior pass at 62, eh? Six more months and counting ...

Lynn
Old 07-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
What would you consider a 'larger trailer'? Is a 27FB considered a large trailer or a small one in the grand scheme of things?
I think for lots of state and national parks, 27' is getting into the "large" category. Often there will be some sites where it'll fit, and some that are a bit too tight. There were definitely some sites at Tyler State Park that would have been a bit tight for my 24' trailer, but the one they put is in was quite spacious (if a bit of work for an amateur like me to back into.)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Have run into a lot of national park campground sites with a 25' limit. with an airstream you can sometimes fudge it.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Have run into a lot of national park campground sites with a 25' limit. with an airstream you can sometimes fudge it.
Yup - that's part of why I sought and got a 23 footer. Have yet to find the site I couldn't get into ... though some have been a bit of a challenge! That's all part of the adventure.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
This is a neat thread. Great question and answers. Thanks to all "that have done it" . You can never beat experience.

"Son, you can do anything you want, as long as you can read".. J.P. Rambin
Hueytownalss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo
http://www.rmnp.com/RMNP-Areas-TrailRidge.HTML

As this site points out, 8 miles of this spectacular byway is above 11,000' and crests at over 12,000'. The generally accepted figure for a normally aspirated gasoline engine is a 3% loss of horsepower for every 1,000' gain in elevation. If you figure 300hp @ sea level, expect the performance of a 200hp motor up there. Coming down is just as important to have a solid transmission and all the brakes functioning. What constitutes a large trailer depends on the equipment and the driver.

Some would consider the stress and strain on the equipment and choose to leave the trailer in the campground and take the TV solo to the top to enjoy the vistas. There are many turnouts along the route that would have to be bypassed with trailer in tow.

If you want to see snow capped peaks in July, ice cold streams, spectacular scenery, wildlife and wildflowers that are seldom seen elsewhere, this is a must visit park. As with the other parks, each has unique attributes that make each special. Enjoy the trip.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Just got my Senior Pass earlier this spring...I DO LIKE camping and I like it EVEN MORE when it's half price! Talk about a Happy Camper!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #16
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Some campgrounds have a 25' limit. A lot of old federal CG's have small spaces because trailers and motorhomes used to be smaller. The access roads are narrow making backing in somewhat of a challenge. If you run into a 25' limit, don't tell them the 25' Airstream is actually 26'. The 27' and 28' are both 28' (28' is actually one inch shorter than the 27'). Since 3' is tongue, a 28' trailer is 25' of body.

It can be difficult to back a 25' trailer in these spaces, but I've done it. Sometimes I get it the first time, but more likely I do a lot of back and forth. The problem as I see it is not so much the length of the pad for the trailer, but maneuvering the truck on those one lane access roads, not driving into someone's tent across the way and not hitting any trees.

Gene
Old 07-15-2011, 05:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
The campgrounds in most National Parks are purposely built to preserve the natural flavor of the park. With few exceptions, the sites are well spaced and oriented so it doesn't feel like an RV park, but rather a campground that serves tenters and RVs alike. Normally there will be a dump station near the entrance/exit to the campground as well as a place to top off your fresh water tank. A few parks may have a concession operated campground offering hookups but only one comes to mind at the moment. Remember, Airstream's heritage goes back to a time before RV parks and full hookups, when camping meant camping and a slide out was not in the vocabulary!

Yes, the roads in the loops are often one way, narrow and twisty, if the trees don't encroach the rocks will, and where there aren't trees and rocks, there are treated posts. This is to keep those who don't know better from straying from the intended roadway. In the parks I've visited, a 25' trailer should not be a problem, just pay attention to those trees, rocks and posts. Sometimes the sites are back-in with an odd rock or post that seems to be in the way for a simple backup. Be nice to your partner as often a spotter is necessary (and this can be very entertaining for your neighbors :-) ). Sometimes the sites are designed like a circle drive along the loop road. Call it a pull through if you want, but the aforementioned trees, rocks and posts can limit the radius and while you can pull in, you may find you can't pull out and I'm not yet proficient at backing up on an S curve!

If the sites are assigned on a reservation basis, you pretty much get what they give you. Some campgrounds in less trafficked parks are first come... If you can time it to get in between 9-11 am, you may have the best choice of available sites as those who are leaving have pretty much left by then and the afternoons are when it starts to fill up. If possible, try to scout out the campground before towing through the loops. You may likely find a site that will serve a trailer longer than 25' provided the road itself isn't the problem. Murphy's Law will show you an easy straight back in that is 80' long, but it is occupied by a VW Bug and a pup tent. Smile, wave and move on, they got there first. When we find a good site, my wife sits at the picnic table and fills out the registration envelop while I go back to get the rig. In over 30 years of trailer camping, this has worked well for us.

With some thought to conservation, we have been able to get a week out of the batteries and the tank capacities before its time to move on.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #18
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

It can be difficult to back a 25' trailer in these spaces, but I've done it. Sometimes I get it the first time, but more likely I do a lot of back and forth. The problem as I see it is not so much the length of the pad for the trailer, but maneuvering the truck on those one lane access roads, not driving into someone's tent across the way and not hitting any trees.

Gene

Have you considered adding a receiver hitch to the front of the truck? It doesn't have to be a super heavy duty all singing hitch, since you would only be pushing the trailer for a few feet at something around 3mph.

But you can park a trailer just about anywhere you want by pushing it. I push my boats up a hill, around two 90 deg turns, and put the wheels on a small board i use to mark the spot where I want it to be. Easy as all get out.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:12 PM   #19
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Sounds like a good idea, but I don't want to bother with it, preferring to test myself every time seeing if I can back in with one shot though possibly embarrassing myself again.

Gene
Old 07-16-2011, 05:03 AM   #20
one of those

2011 27 FB International
I think they have medication and counselling for that these days.

I think all the lightweight tow vehicles in Texas have one as standard equipment?