Old 07-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Just got my Senior Pass earlier this spring...I DO LIKE camping and I like it EVEN MORE when it's half price! Talk about a Happy Camper!

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Some campgrounds have a 25' limit. A lot of old federal CG's have small spaces because trailers and motorhomes used to be smaller. The access roads are narrow making backing in somewhat of a challenge. If you run into a 25' limit, don't tell them the 25' Airstream is actually 26'. The 27' and 28' are both 28' (28' is actually one inch shorter than the 27'). Since 3' is tongue, a 28' trailer is 25' of body.

It can be difficult to back a 25' trailer in these spaces, but I've done it. Sometimes I get it the first time, but more likely I do a lot of back and forth. The problem as I see it is not so much the length of the pad for the trailer, but maneuvering the truck on those one lane access roads, not driving into someone's tent across the way and not hitting any trees.

Gene

Old 07-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
The campgrounds in most National Parks are purposely built to preserve the natural flavor of the park. With few exceptions, the sites are well spaced and oriented so it doesn't feel like an RV park, but rather a campground that serves tenters and RVs alike. Normally there will be a dump station near the entrance/exit to the campground as well as a place to top off your fresh water tank. A few parks may have a concession operated campground offering hookups but only one comes to mind at the moment. Remember, Airstream's heritage goes back to a time before RV parks and full hookups, when camping meant camping and a slide out was not in the vocabulary!

Yes, the roads in the loops are often one way, narrow and twisty, if the trees don't encroach the rocks will, and where there aren't trees and rocks, there are treated posts. This is to keep those who don't know better from straying from the intended roadway. In the parks I've visited, a 25' trailer should not be a problem, just pay attention to those trees, rocks and posts. Sometimes the sites are back-in with an odd rock or post that seems to be in the way for a simple backup. Be nice to your partner as often a spotter is necessary (and this can be very entertaining for your neighbors :-) ). Sometimes the sites are designed like a circle drive along the loop road. Call it a pull through if you want, but the aforementioned trees, rocks and posts can limit the radius and while you can pull in, you may find you can't pull out and I'm not yet proficient at backing up on an S curve!

If the sites are assigned on a reservation basis, you pretty much get what they give you. Some campgrounds in less trafficked parks are first come... If you can time it to get in between 9-11 am, you may have the best choice of available sites as those who are leaving have pretty much left by then and the afternoons are when it starts to fill up. If possible, try to scout out the campground before towing through the loops. You may likely find a site that will serve a trailer longer than 25' provided the road itself isn't the problem. Murphy's Law will show you an easy straight back in that is 80' long, but it is occupied by a VW Bug and a pup tent. Smile, wave and move on, they got there first. When we find a good site, my wife sits at the picnic table and fills out the registration envelop while I go back to get the rig. In over 30 years of trailer camping, this has worked well for us.

With some thought to conservation, we have been able to get a week out of the batteries and the tank capacities before its time to move on.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:42 PM   #18
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

It can be difficult to back a 25' trailer in these spaces, but I've done it. Sometimes I get it the first time, but more likely I do a lot of back and forth. The problem as I see it is not so much the length of the pad for the trailer, but maneuvering the truck on those one lane access roads, not driving into someone's tent across the way and not hitting any trees.

Gene

Have you considered adding a receiver hitch to the front of the truck? It doesn't have to be a super heavy duty all singing hitch, since you would only be pushing the trailer for a few feet at something around 3mph.

But you can park a trailer just about anywhere you want by pushing it. I push my boats up a hill, around two 90 deg turns, and put the wheels on a small board i use to mark the spot where I want it to be. Easy as all get out.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:12 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Sounds like a good idea, but I don't want to bother with it, preferring to test myself every time seeing if I can back in with one shot though possibly embarrassing myself again.

Gene
Old 07-16-2011, 06:03 AM   #20
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
I think they have medication and counselling for that these days.

I think all the lightweight tow vehicles in Texas have one as standard equipment?
Old 07-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Thanks, everyone, for your responses. This has been a fun thread.

Deb
Old 07-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
I'm with you on this one Gene. Backing is half the fun. Some can do it easily, and some never do learn how to back a trailer. Its almost like the spot "challenges" me, and I'm determined to win!!

"Son, you can do anything you want, as long as you can read".. J.P. Rambin
Hueytownalss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:11 PM   #23
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Ok, ok, I can see we need backing lessons. As it turns out, my new garden tractor mated to our garden trailer backs exactly like a truck with trailer attached. It's the perfect practice vehicle. (Now if I could just get my wife to try it. Indeed, if I could just get her to try driving forwards with the Airstream.)

Lynn
Old 07-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Hi Deb, As Hagar's personal chauffeur in the Hagarstream I can say we have used the senior pass 5 times since we bought it two weeks ago. It's a great deal. We obviously don't have the parking problems that you trailer people do but if someone were to question me about length, I would talk about the coach length not bumper to coupler. If they argue you can always play dumb.

This is Hagar doing a little backseat driving.

Cheers, Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trip July 2011 Grand Teton & Yelowstone 094.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	135808  
Old 07-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
As it turns out, my new garden tractor mated to our garden trailer backs exactly like a truck with trailer attached.
I'm glad our trailer doesn't back like our riding mower and cart. Every time I back the riding mower the cart jackknifes within 5 feet.

Gene