Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Stranded in Tyler, TX

I left Texarkana Monday morning working my way home, San Antonio, after a nice week's stay in Memphis. I got off of I-30 onto US 271 driving towards Tyler, and then beyond. The sun was out for the first time in a week, and I had the windows down just enjoying the drive.

I was just outside of Tyler approaching their Loop road when the Excursion kind of paused. No bangs, pows, or hisses; not even a little smoke. I pushed down on the peddle, nothing there. Jest nothing. I looked around hoping for a driveway or something I could coast into. Nothing, the highway didn't even have a shoulder. I stayed in the right hand lane and coasted to a stop at the light. I tried to start it, it turned over, but still nothing. I just sat there watching the light change from red to green; over and over.

I have Good Sam Emergency Road Service, and called them on my cell. I explained the problem, and after answering numerous questions about the trailer and the Excursions asked me to hold. When she came back on she said that I was less than 9 miles from the local Ford dealer, and there was a Good Sam rv park close by. She said that she had talked with the Ford service guy, and he was expecting me. Then she told me that she'd made a reservation for me at the rv park, but that I should call to confirm when I had the chance. She also had called the Tyler police to notify them that I was disabled on the road. About 5 minutes later I saw the police car behind me with lights flasching. Thirty minutes later two tow trucks arrived for the Excursion and the trailer. The Ex went to Ford, and the trailer and I went to the Whispering Pines RV Park. I took care of the paper work, and the tow truck driver backed the trailer into it's slot.

I noticed that I felt calm, and was amazed because I generally I'm not more often I'm tense and on edge. I had had time to realize just how much worse it could have been. It could have died where there was no cell service, or it could have died in the middle of one of the small towns I had driven through - two lanes and a curb. At the RV park a guy had even walked up, after the trailer was parked, and offered to take me to get groceries if I needed. Wow. I took him up on it because since I had no idea how long I'd be staying here I would need to get a few things.

I talked with the Service guy, and he said he understood my plot and would get to the Ex as soon as he could. He already had all of my warranty data, and said that when they could get a diagnostic run he would be able to give me a time line. This morning he called and said they had the Ex in a service bay, and would call with the results when he had them.

So here I am in the trailer, clueless for now. Grateful as well, for a lot of things, but a lot of it goes to my spending the 100 or so bucks for the road service. I know a lot of people don't like ERS policies in general, and some may not like Good Sam in particular - and that's just fine with me. All I know is that, for me, Good Sam got me out of a crack in a very professional and courteous manner. Everything they did cost me zilch over the cost of the contract. Now, I just need some not so bad news from the Ford dealer.

__________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
What is a magnaflow? Adios John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Sorry to hear about your problems on the road...but Good Sam came through...that's great! Good luck with getting everything figured out...keep us posted!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Mine, 2004 Excursion 6.0, did the exact same thing Friday. The ABS light came on then the gauges went to zero and then it stopped. After 10 mins. it restarted ans I drove 1 mile and it died again.

The alternator had died and once the batteries dropped below the min. for the computer the truck stopped.

The shop fixed it without calling me before proceeding and installed a stock 110 amp alternator. Had I had a chance I would have had them install a 190 amp alternator since this is the second one in less than 25,000 miles.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1 View Post
What is a magnaflow? Adios John

John, magnaflow is an exhaust system. It could cause a discussion with the dealership. A forum member has reminded me that there is a federal court case that dealt with an after market product, and it's impact on a warranty. I found the case and it states that only that part of the warranty that directly ties to the change may be voided. So, I'll address that when the time arrives.

_______Tom

Old 03-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Glad you are safe and not sitting beside the road. Hope it is something simple and you can get back on the road soon.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
West Chazy , New York
Glad things went smoothly in spite of your dilemma. It is nice to hear that!

I hope the Ford dealer can get you on your way without a major cost setback.
WBCCI 2623
romap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:11 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Good ending

The ford dealer called & the Ex is ready to go. It seems that an oil pressure something, something went out. They had the part, and I'm good to go. The part's covered under my warranty, so I'm out the door for $100.

I should be able to leave tomorrow sometime. Glad this experience is just about over.

__________Tom

Old 03-17-2009, 08:26 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Tom,

Sorry you had problems... glad it is working out OK. Hope the rest of your stay in Memphis with your son went well.

I too have had good experiences with Good Sam ERS the one time I have needed them...
Between 'steams...
reday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:35 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by reday View Post
Tom,

Sorry you had problems... glad it is working out OK. Hope the rest of your stay in Memphis with your son went well.

I too have had good experiences with Good Sam ERS the one time I have needed them...
Reday, The rest of the stay in Memphis was nice. Cold, gray & wet, but nice. I'm glad my stay in Tyler didn't linger any longer. I was having a hard time ignoring that rack of Central's ribs in the freezer. Now there's a good chance my DW will get a taste.

__________Tom

Old 03-17-2009, 08:53 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream 1529 View Post
The ford dealer called & the Ex is ready to go. It seems that an oil pressure something, something went out. They had the part, and I'm good to go. The part's covered under my warranty, so I'm out the door for $100.

I should be able to leave tomorrow sometime. Glad this experience is just about over.

__________Tom
The oil pressure sender (sensor) lets the computer know if there is no oil pressure. The computer then shuts off the fuel pump to minimize engine damage. Obviously when it fails, the computer thinks there is no oil pressure, with predictable results.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #12

El Paso , Texas
Stream 1529,
I have the exact model Excursion. I was wandering what mileage you get while towing?
Glad everything turned out OK!
vargalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Tom - Sorry to hear about your problem, but glad to know that Good Sam was there for you. I like Tyler and spend time there now & then. But under your circumstances, I'd guess your glad to be heading home.
Jim
Old 03-18-2009, 06:57 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitsend View Post
Tom - Sorry to hear about your problem, but glad to know that Good Sam was there for you. I like Tyler and spend time there now & then. But under your circumstances, I'd guess your glad to be heading home.
Jim
Jim, my wife grew up here in Tyler. She was telling me of places I should go, until she remembered I didn't have any transportation. Ford picks me up this morning, and I'm on my way home.

It's funny, I have been planning trips for ever, and a part of the plan is the return home. So the plan is in my mind, and until I reach that part of the plan I don't even think of home. When I get to that point to return, something clicks in my mind and I'm ready to get home. I've had a great trip, but I am ready to get home.

__________Tom

Old 03-18-2009, 07:45 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Tom;

Good to hear you had such good luck with Good Sams. The same thing happended to us when we were in Oregon 2 years ago and I hate to think what it would have cost us to have our TV and TT towed separately 9 miles to the approved service center. We blew a radiator on I-84 near Hood River, Or. and the service was phoenominal through Good Sam and Riverview Automotive Shop. They had enough space on their lot that we parked our unit there and they ran power to us and everything was cozy.

Hope you make it home safely.

Bob
4CU/CAC
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
Tyler!

Stream, Tyler is my hometown - I'm class of '68 from John Tyler High School - would I maybe know your wife? paula
pcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The oil pressure sender (sensor) lets the computer know if there is no oil pressure. The computer then shuts off the fuel pump to minimize engine damage. Obviously when it fails, the computer thinks there is no oil pressure, with predictable results.
On the Ford 6.0 & 7.3 Powerstroke the fuel injecters are fired by high pressure engine oil. The base oil pump(the pump that supplys oil to the engine bearing) supplys oil to a small resivoir ( about 1 quart) that supplys a high pressure oil pump that fires the injecters. The injecters are triggered electronically by the PCM. The high oil pressure is controlled by the Injecter Pressure Regulater - IPR-.The computer senses the oil presure with the ICP senser- injecter control pressure. The higher the ICP commands high oil pressure the faster the engine revs. Either the ICP or IPR failing will kill the engine dead.
If the base engine oil gets about 5 quarts low enough oil will not be available to fill the high pressure resivoir and the engine will stall wih no internall damage as the base pum p still has about 10 quarts of oil to supply the bearings with. Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:26 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vargalu View Post
Stream 1529,
I have the exact model Excursion. I was wandering what mileage you get while towing?
Glad everything turned out OK!
It varies. On the way North, I had a tailwind and not all that many towns to slow me down. Driving 55, my mileage was 14.6, and that's good for me. On the way back from Memphis driving to Texarkana on I40/30, no winds, 60 mph the mileage was 13.2. From Tyler to Bryan I got 11.2. There I had a side wind, on a state hwy so I went through towns, and steeper hills that kicked me out of overdrive. Driving 55 I got 11.2.

Your Ex should fall in that range, I'd think. Now I've got 79k miles on the Ex, and I've been told a diesel doesn't break in until around 50k-60k. You also need to consider your speed. On a long trip a while back, I drove 55 for an hour, and added 5mph each successive hour up to 65. Fuel consumption increased 10% at each increment. This wasn't scientific, just a bored ol' guy passing time while driving down the road.

________Tom

Old 03-20-2009, 08:30 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1962 24' Tradewind
Vincennes , Indiana
Are those mpg figures from the computer read out or hand figured? Just curious.

Godspeed,
Trent
TV4: 2005 Dodge 3500, 478,000 miles, 4spd auto
"Too much of what I once knew I now know not" Me
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #20

El Paso , Texas
Stream 1529,
Thanks for the reply concerning the MPG. I am in the process of finding a 16' - 19' Bambi, and wanted to learn what my TV would likely get in MPG.
Thanks again, Hope to see you down the road as soon as I can find a Bambi.
vargalu is offline   Reply With Quote