Old 09-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Do you have travel insurance like Good Sam? They may have arranged to tow the trailer home or provide other services. You still may be able to get something.

The Tundra didn't look all that bad from the photo. Hard to believe it would be totalled.

Glad the trailer wasn't hit and no one was injured. Having a big box on the floor while trying to drive sounds a bit dumb. Did the driver get a ticket?

Gene

Old 09-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #16
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Do you have travel insurance like Good Sam? They may have arranged to tow the trailer home or provide other services. You still may be able to get something.

The Tundra didn't look all that bad from the photo. Hard to believe it would be totalled.

Glad the trailer wasn't hit and no one was injured. Having a big box on the floor while trying to drive sounds a bit dumb. Did the driver get a ticket?

Gene
Hi Gene,

You should know better than I, but I thought it wasn't possible to get a traffic ticket when driving on private property. Is that something I perhaps remember from somewhere else I lived?

Ken

Old 09-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Why someone would try to drive a car with something BLOCKING ACCESS TO THE PEDALS is beyond me. I have little tolerance for stupidity behind the wheel. Unfortunately I see it every day here in DC.

Sorry to hear about your truck. I'd be livid. Be certain to forward any and all expenses to her insurance company. Also be sure to bill them for the interruption of your trip.

My parents had a similar campground incident: Someone hit their Airstream while it was set up on a site, with them inside. Apparently the driver was too busy talking on his cell phone to notice a giant aluminum thing in front of him.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:07 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Chico , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
What an odd accident! A runaway dinghy! We stayed at Pikes Peak RV Park just a few weeks ago, and from your photo it looks like we were in your exact spot! We rated it four stars - a bit tightly packed, but very convenient to old town Manitou Springs and Pike Peak itself.
I was in site 33, and I would also give the park 4 stars. I kept saying that if this had to happen somewhere, it couldn't have happened in a better place. There was a creek running behind my site which was a very soothing sound while I made all my phone calls and worked at the picnic table I called my "office". The woman running the place even took care of my dog for me while I went to the FF memorial, and they ultimately refunded all the money for 3 sites for the 3 days my friends and I were there.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:20 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Chico , California
The driver was cited, even though it was on private property.

I finally heard from the body shop late this afternoon. The truck is not officially totaled, but the frame is beyond repair and will be replaced. The estimate came to $8940.39.
They are basically going to take apart my truck and put it back together on a different frame.... Allstate is my insurance company and apparently they Guarantee my satisfaction with this repair, so we'll see how it goes....
Of course I am saving all receipts for getting myself and the Trailer home, and so far the insurance companies have been very helpful and supportive. But, again, we'll see how it goes....
Old 09-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #20
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Sounds like the campground was very helpful, a good thing to know when looking for a place to stay in the future.

There is a bunch of damage to the Tundra. It appears that the frame is bent in the front where the other car hit it. For a small car to do that damage and move your truck the way it did, it had to be traveling at a pretty good rate of speed.

The good news is that no one was hurt. This could have ended much worse.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:51 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Chico , California
A witness estimated 40mph just prior to final impact with the 5th-wheel. If you look at the ground in the pic showing the front of my truck, you can see the drag marks from the truck being moved ~8 feet to the side. The impact was at the very front corner without even touching the tire.

I completely agree that it was a very poor decision to drive this car with something on the floor blocking access to the pedals. My job is Fire Engineer for a municipal fire department in CA, and I have seen quite a few traffic accidents. I have also seen how "helpless" people can become in a crisis and the strange places their cars end up because they just panic. I also generally have very little tolerance for stupidity, because I see a lot of it at work. In this case, I agree that the driver initially used very poor judgement. But I am very grateful that she did not seem to panic. In order to hit my truck and not my Trailer, she had to steer her car around the corner of a building during what must have been a very terrifying time for her. For this, I am grateful. Had she panicked and plowed into the side of my Trailer instead, I would have been pinned in the narrowest part of my Trailer up against a stove with an open flame. That would not have worked out very well for me..... Thankfully, I am still in one piece and able to deal with this pain in the ass

Does anyone know anything about transporting vehicles? The estimated date of repair for my truck is Oct. 28 and I'm wondering if I'll need to fly out and drive it home, or if I can have have it delivered to CA (on their insurance dime, of course).

Thank you to everyone for your input. This forum is an Amazing resource!!
Old 09-23-2011, 11:38 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Ken,
One never asks a lady how the vehicle was wrecked.
It just happens.
Reshecca,
Sorry for your disruption but it sound like you are handling it well.
Ask the other parties insurance company to make you whole again, see what happens. They should handle that stuff or know how to do it, especially if they have to pay.
Cute dog you have there, bet it's a good one
Old 09-23-2011, 11:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Wow -- Who would have thought you'd see an accident like that in an RV park. Looks like it's time for a new Tundra...
Old 09-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Hi Gene,

You should know better than I, but I thought it wasn't possible to get a traffic ticket when driving on private property. Is that something I perhaps remember from somewhere else I lived?

Ken
I expect the rules on traffic violations vary from state to state. Traffic misdemeanors seem to be different if I recall this correctly. It's been 30 years since I did a traffic case and just about all were DUI's, a not particularly intellectually or emotionally rewarding area of practice.

Most traffic tickets are for violations—these are not crimes and mostly occur by their nature on public highways. Things like DUI (DWI in some states) and reckless driving are misdemeanors here and I think the police have more interest in those wherever they occur. I seem to remember DUI appellate cases where someone fell asleep well off the right of way and possibly in a commercial parking lot with the keys in the ignition. They got cited for drunk driving. The keys in the ignition seemed to be important to the appellate court. So, sleeping it off, which seems responsible, was not so good an idea, but maybe if the keys are in your pocket, you are ok. All this proves is that private property doesn't seem to matter for some traffic cases.

If the woman who hit reshecca's Tundra got a reckless driving citation, that would be a misdemeanor. If she has a fairly clean record she might be able to plea it down to careless. If she got a careless driving citation, that's a violation. Then she would want to plea down to a non-moving violation for insurance reasons. She could claim the placement of the box was the problem and that is not careless driving, but careless preparation for driving. I know, it sounds screwy, but who knows what will work with the prosecutor. That she was cited will make her insurance company more reasonable to deal with.

I don't really remember private vs. public property being an issue, but I dealt very infrequently with traffic and eventually refused to take them on.

Reshecca—I'd go pick up the truck myself and drive it around for a while to make sure it works right. The insurer should pick up the plane ticket.

Gene
Old 09-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #25

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
If you don't find anything wrong with the truck in the first hundred miles or so, pay attention to tire wear over time. Also, have a friend follow behind and observe the Tundra, looking for things like "dog trotting" that can happen when you rebuild a frame without a dedicated jig for that frame.

The insurance company should accommodate you either way. If it's more convenient for you to have the truck professionally shipped, there are lots of companies that move vehicles. If you'd enjoy the mini-vacation and aren't too spoiled by your airstream to stay in motels, they can fly you out there and pay reasonable travel expenses for your drive home. If you choose to have the truck shipped back to you, Allstate's guarantee should be in force at any Allstate-approved body shop if you find any problems with the truck.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
DKB's got it right.

An all Airstream trip without yours could include stopping at the Airstream campground in Escalante, Utah, where there are, I think, some Airstreams you can stay in. Then on to the KOA at Circus Circus in Las Vegas where they may have one or two for rental.

Gene
Old 09-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #27
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by reshecca View Post

Does anyone know anything about transporting vehicles? The estimated date of repair for my truck is Oct. 28 and I'm wondering if I'll need to fly out and drive it home, or if I can have have it delivered to CA (on their insurance dime, of course).

Thank you to everyone for your input. This forum is an Amazing resource!!
I would fly back out to get the truck, and drive it back myself. You know what the truck drove like before the accident, and if somebody else drives it, they won't know if everything is as it was.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #28
TAC OR-7

2008 22' Safari
springfield , oregon
SO glad it didn't domino into your Airstream, and it's amazing/lucky no one was seriously hurt!