Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
Freehold , New York
Storing TV and Trailer to fly home for Christmas

Hello All,

We live in the Catskill Mountains of New York, and this will be our second trip out west with the trailer. Last year we spent 2 months in the fall and left the trailer at Lake Mead for a couple nights as we went into Las Vegas. Park Ranger was fine with this and it was a very safe and quiet campground.

This year we want to head west October 1st and end up in Quartzite for a few weeks in November, then store the trailer and tow vehicle in Arizona someplace and fly home to New York for Thanksgiving and Christmas and then fly back out to Arizona after Christmas for another 2 months of travel. So about 6 weeks of storage total.

Have any of you done this and do you have suggestions on the safest and or best way to do this. We are solar equipped so not worried about the batteries and such, just the security of the trailer and tow vehicle and getting to the airport (probably Phoenix or Tucson). Thanks for the help,

Mike & Debi

2017 23FB
2014 Porsche Cayenne
mikedebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:09 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
When I looked at doing this, cutting a deal with a KOA owner to store it in the employee lot made the most sense. You also want to keep the TV on a trickle.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH View Post
When I looked at doing this, cutting a deal with a KOA owner to store it in the employee lot made the most sense. You also want to keep the TV on a trickle.
Its only six weeks. The truck battery should be able to take the stress. Or take a jump when you return.

Where ever you leave it you'll have to prepare it for the down time. Freeze protection? Remove refrigerator food? Sure you have solar but propane runs the frige and solar battery 12vdc runs the controls.

I have left the trailer hooked up (full) and loaded for two months. Everything was fine. I'd leave it in a private camp ground storage area. Many have them. My daughter was leaving her 5th wheel in one that will bring it out and set it up for them.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
We stored our trailer in Lake Havasu for 3 months at a Uhaul inside storage facility. Individual garages. It was $240/month. We wanted something out of the heat.

If I had it to do again I would try to find a private campground to park it. By the way, Lake Havasu is not the place to try to find storage.

Unhook your batteries (remember, black wires first!) so they don't have any parasitic drain. Take ALL food out of the trailer except can goods. My trailer was parked on concrete with mouse-proof compartments and sealing door. We removed all the food. My wife cleaned all the food storage compartments of any spillage or crumbs. You may be on the ground. Ants, mice, moose . . . .

$240 was on the low side for this area, but it gives you an idea of pricing. Work out a deal with a nice campground owner and maybe he will check on it day-to-day!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote