Old 07-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #15

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Sorry to hear about the theft. It might not be fool proof but I use a Mega hitch. At least it will slow them down. I hope they find them!!
Attached Images

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
The Mega Hitch lock looks pretty sturdy, but I would like to see how long takes to finally defeat it. The person in the video below didn't look like they tried as hard to break it off as they did with the other locks.

Coupler Hitch Lock Tests.mov - YouTube

Every lock can be defeated. How effective they are is mostly a function of how determined the thief has to be to get it off, and how long it takes. If the Mega Hitch lock takes 15-20 minutes, compared to 0-5 for the others, that may be long enough to deter most thieves; especially if the necessary tools are not commonly available, they are too large or heavy to be easily transportable, or if their use makes a lot of noise.

For a fair comparison, Mega Hitch should have continued attacking their hitch with the same determination used on their competitors' locks, until their device failed, too. However, I understand that this is a marketing video; so they probably don't want to show this.

The lock we have on our Bambi was in the video, and it took five minutes to defeat. Blmitch5, from installing and handling the Mega Hitch lock on your Airstream, do you think it would better survive the attacks used on the other locks; or would it ultimately succumb to sawing, hammering and prying?

Assuming it would eventually fail, would it take longer to defeat? And, while unscientific, could you make a rough guess at the time until failure? For example, "probably as good as the best of the other locks"; "twice as long"; "maybe an hour or more"; "it'd take a cutting torch"; or, "no way this thing is ever coming off".

========

Note: Sorry if I hijacked this thread. Please, move this post to a new topic, if necessary.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
We are north of Bolton. Will keep an eye out.
The last 2 times we crossed the border into the US and on our return into Canada the border guards checked our trailers VIN and documents.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #18

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
The lock we have on our Bambi was in the video, and it took five minutes to defeat. Blmitch5, from installing and handling the Mega Hitch lock on your Airstream, do you think it would better survive the attacks used on the other locks; or would it ultimately succumb to sawing, hammering and prying?

Assuming it would eventually fail, would it take longer to defeat? And, while unscientific, could you make a rough guess at the time until failure? For example, "probably as good as the best of the other locks"; "twice as long"; "maybe an hour or more"; "it'd take a cutting torch"; or, "no way this thing is ever coming off".

I think it's going to be tough to get off. The best part is it moves around so it makes it harder to get off. If I had $100 to blow I'd like to take a sledge hammer to it to see how hard it would be to bust it off. It's just a way to slow them down but if someone really wants my AS I'm sure they will get it. I just hope it would frustrate the thief enough to make them move on to the one next to mine.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #19
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Where does one buy a GPS tracker?
Old 07-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
well, here's one place: GPS Tracking Device | Real-Time Personal & Car GPS Trackers
Old 07-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #21
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Answer myself. Garmin has a nice unit with a reasonable initial cost and annual fee. GTU 10. Works in Canada and US. I'm in.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I have a Universal Boot; a.k.a., "Denver Boot" (see photo below):

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...1&d=1296294038

I have heard that they are relatively easy to defeat, but I am hoping that it is just intimidating enough to make the bad guys look for another trailer to steal. Especially, since I also have a padlock through the tab on the tongue and a hitch lock. Hopefully, it would take thieves a little time and effort to remove all three devices. However, if they really want our Bambi, they'll probably just use a tow truck and winch it up onto the bed, or throw some chains around the tongue and drag it off.

We got the wheel boot when we first bought our Bambi. On the negative side, it's big, heavy, a little tricky to install, and difficult to store. Also, it was expensive. However, parking boots are easily recognizable; and there must be a reason these are used by the police (as opposed to some other device).

Right after we got it, I dropped the Bambi in a space at a KOA, installed the wheel boot, and we went to dinner. When we got back, a couple of neighbors immediately came over and told us that the police must have come while we were gone; and they wondered what we had done to get our Airstream booted. We all had a good laugh over that.

So far, so good; but our Bambi is parked next to our house...

=============

Anti-Theft Wheel Boot, Car Boot, Trailer Boot, Wheel Boot Lock
Old 07-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
So who's going to order one of those bad boys and do a scientific field test for us and report back?
LOOKING FOR A COUNTER HEIGHT KREFFT REFRIGERATOR!!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:04 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
The issue with the GPS tracker and an Airstream is where are you going to put it such that it's hidden but can still send and receive a signal? Under the propane tank cover is the only place I can think of...

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:07 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
The issue with the GPS tracker and an Airstream is where are you going to put it such that it's hidden but can still send and receive a signal? Under the propane tank cover is the only place I can think of...
Inside the AC shroud?
Old 07-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Inside the AC shroud?
Is there room? (I've never had one off, so I don't know.)

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Keswick , Ontario
I'm curious who out there uses a GPS tracking device to protect their trailer and if there are stories where a thief was caught or trailer recovered using such a device.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #28
Jerky guy

1973 27' Overlander
Springtown , Texas
So sorry to hear! But as far far as gps tracking I have it on all of my construction equipment and it is great! You can get on line and track it were ever it goes and call the police and give them the coordinates !