Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Answer myself. Garmin has a nice unit with a reasonable initial cost and annual fee. GTU 10. Works in Canada and US. I'm in.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I have a Universal Boot; a.k.a., "Denver Boot" (see photo below):

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...1&d=1296294038

I have heard that they are relatively easy to defeat, but I am hoping that it is just intimidating enough to make the bad guys look for another trailer to steal. Especially, since I also have a padlock through the tab on the tongue and a hitch lock. Hopefully, it would take thieves a little time and effort to remove all three devices. However, if they really want our Bambi, they'll probably just use a tow truck and winch it up onto the bed, or throw some chains around the tongue and drag it off.

We got the wheel boot when we first bought our Bambi. On the negative side, it's big, heavy, a little tricky to install, and difficult to store. Also, it was expensive. However, parking boots are easily recognizable; and there must be a reason these are used by the police (as opposed to some other device).

Right after we got it, I dropped the Bambi in a space at a KOA, installed the wheel boot, and we went to dinner. When we got back, a couple of neighbors immediately came over and told us that the police must have come while we were gone; and they wondered what we had done to get our Airstream booted. We all had a good laugh over that.

So far, so good; but our Bambi is parked next to our house...

=============

Anti-Theft Wheel Boot, Car Boot, Trailer Boot, Wheel Boot Lock
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
So who's going to order one of those bad boys and do a scientific field test for us and report back?
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:04 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
The issue with the GPS tracker and an Airstream is where are you going to put it such that it's hidden but can still send and receive a signal? Under the propane tank cover is the only place I can think of...

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:07 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
The issue with the GPS tracker and an Airstream is where are you going to put it such that it's hidden but can still send and receive a signal? Under the propane tank cover is the only place I can think of...
Inside the AC shroud?
Old 07-10-2012, 06:37 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Inside the AC shroud?
Is there room? (I've never had one off, so I don't know.)

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Keswick , Ontario
I'm curious who out there uses a GPS tracking device to protect their trailer and if there are stories where a thief was caught or trailer recovered using such a device.
Mifair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Spring town , Texas
So sorry to hear! But as far far as gps tracking I have it on all of my construction equipment and it is great! You can get on line and track it were ever it goes and call the police and give them the coordinates !
Jerky guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #29
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Heading for Canada in a month or so. I'll keep an eye out for it..
My first thought was this would be far away in no time, but you never know. Some of these clowns aren't too bright. My friend had two Kawasaki Mules (ATV type vehicle) stolen out of his barn.
They found them a few miles away parked next to a old house..
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #30
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Google "defeat denver boot" and see how many hits you get. I never looked at any of them, but it seems they are not hard to open.

There are so many nooks and cranies in an Airstream, a GPS unit would be easy to hide, but will the shell inhibit the signal?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
I have a Universal Boot; a.k.a., "Denver Boot" (see photo below):

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...1&d=1296294038

I have heard that they are relatively easy to defeat, but I am hoping that it is just intimidating enough to make the bad guys look for another trailer to steal. Especially, since I also have a padlock through the tab on the tongue and a hitch lock. Hopefully, it would take thieves a little time and effort to remove all three devices. However, if they really want our Bambi, they'll probably just use a tow truck and winch it up onto the bed, or throw some chains around the tongue and drag it off.

We got the wheel boot when we first bought our Bambi. On the negative side, it's big, heavy, a little tricky to install, and difficult to store. Also, it was expensive. However, parking boots are easily recognizable; and there must be a reason these are used by the police (as opposed to some other device).

Right after we got it, I dropped the Bambi in a space at a KOA, installed the wheel boot, and we went to dinner. When we got back, a couple of neighbors immediately came over and told us that the police must have come while we were gone; and they wondered what we had done to get our Airstream booted. We all had a good laugh over that.

So far, so good; but our Bambi is parked next to our house...

=============

Anti-Theft Wheel Boot, Car Boot, Trailer Boot, Wheel Boot Lock

We lived in NYC (well the Bronx) for 3 years. I watch A guy take a city boot off his car in less than 4 min. Very impressive! He must have had a lot of practice

Nothing is full proof and everything is a deterrent. If you have a lock then hopefully they will go for the guy that doesn't. But if they really want it, they will get it.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
Where to put tracker

The one place I would explore is the AC unit if you have one. Just plastic between you and the sat's. Sorry to hear about the theft. Will keep an eye out here in NC.
heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Heading for Canada in a month or so. I'll keep an eye out for it..
My first thought was this would be far away in no time, but you never know. Some of these clowns aren't too bright. My friend had two Kawasaki Mules (ATV type vehicle) stolen out of his barn.
They found them a few miles away parked next to a old house..
My best hope for recovering it is that the thiefs were stupid. If they were pros, it's probably somewhere far away being enjoyed by someone else by now.
Toronto_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #34
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
I have to store my AS for the first time this winter as it is new to me and the one thing I thought of doing for sure was running heavy chains through the spokes in the tires to chain both tires on either side together. My hope is I will create too many hoops to jump through for a potential thief.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Put a dry rattlesnake skin in a window in an obvious place. Tie damp used baby diapers under the stairs and propane tanks. Sink a 1 ton concrete block in the ground with a heavy steel loop sticking up. "X" chains through wheel spokes and through the steel loop. Center the locks under the middle of the Airstream where the concrete block is. Leave another snakeskin. Set more "diaper bombs" under the black and gray water tanks - so that the slightest bump will dump them on the creep crawling under your Airstream.

Have a handy recipe for homemade naphalm.... 2 ingredients, one found in your kitchen the other in your garage. A blaring siren UNDER the Airstream complete with laser targeted Ouzi firing recordings might also be amusing.

Paula
Old 07-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I don't believe that they make a ship container large enough to hold an Airstream??? I thought that they were either 8 x 40 or 8 x 20. Does anyone else have information to the contrary? Aside from that, a big shiny Airstream is pretty hard to hide.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
I don't believe that they make a ship container large enough to hold an Airstream??? I thought that they were either 8 x 40 or 8 x 20. Does anyone else have information to the contrary? Aside from that, a big shiny Airstream is pretty hard to hide.
This gives the dimensions. Doesn't look like an AS will fit.

STANDARD SIZE SHIPPING CONTAINERS
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Unfortunately there is another "value" to Airstreams - scrap metal. Aluminum has value to it and although I never really considered such things. In my area over the past few years people have been scavenging metals like crazy for money. Many businesses have found their AC copper coils torn out, abandoned homes with whole AC units torn away, every week we have metal scavengers that go through the neighborhood garbage with a pickup truck. Those places would be another point of investigation for police.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Heist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto_Guy View Post
I haven't posted for ages, and unfortunately my reason for doing so now is very bad news.

I just noticed that my 2011 25' International Serenity Edition was stolen from my storage lot.

The theft was from Toronto, Ontario. The trailer had an Ontario plate #E1677X (assuming the thief hasn't removed it or swapped it) and the VIN is:
1STJFYJ29BJ524926.

If anyone sees any posting for a similar trailer for sale, please PM me, or email me at Ross.stewart@me.com.

Thank god for insurance, but we had a lot of personal keepsakes in the trailer that can't be replaced.

Any help that anyone could offer would be very much appreciated!

Ross
Sounds like a possible INSIDE job.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Storage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3campers View Post
I have to store my AS for the first time this winter as it is new to me and the one thing I thought of doing for sure was running heavy chains through the spokes in the tires to chain both tires on either side together. My hope is I will create too many hoops to jump through for a potential thief.
Take the tires off and put it on supports. But remember, a thief with time and tools is a real adversary! I took the time to find a indoor storage facility with individual units (45'x16'x18') for each tenant @ $225 per month. Mine has a on-site caretaker. They have video at the facility and I have my own inside (low light hidden CCD). As well as GPS Low Jack and NO stickers to indicate same. my BIGGEST worry? The watchman! He knows what is stored and has access to the castle. I can't tell you how much theft is done from the inside and "trusted" staff.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote