Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2003, 10:00 AM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Stick-on-States

In anticipation of a big upcoming road trip this summer, I thought I better get my trailer ready - so I finally got my stick-on-states applied Now we're ready to go.

Some might think it's tacky but I love seeing these on other trailers, but obviously I couldn't put them on the outside of my polished AS. So I drilled a piece of acrylic to mount suction cups on it, and applied the states to that. then I stuck it in the back bathroom window. Since it's just the outline of the states, except for the states we've filled in, you can still see through most of the window just fine, and with the curtain down it's very visible. And of course I can pop it off if I change my mind!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stickon.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	4052  

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 10:09 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

I Love it!

Tripp
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 11:00 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Where did you get that!

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 11:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I've seen them at Camping World...cost is about $13.50

Sounds like a good item for your Wish List to Santa Eric!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 11:39 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Sure does, but will Santa bring one...he's already got that Safari hitched to the back of his sleigh.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 11:49 AM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I had the maps on the sides of my previous SOB trailers, but no way will I paste one on one of my aluminum babies.

Over the years, I have accumulated so many states (plus 4 big states in Mexico) that it would pretty much block the light from the window. I had all but the very northwest and the very northeast states filled in. The Mexican states were from the Copper Canyon caravan.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 01:45 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Wow John, you have been around! I just love seeing folks on the road and seeing all the states they have filled in. Makes me jealous. Mine just screams 'beginner' now, doesn't it? But we're hoping for a long road trip this summer to OK and through AZ and back. That should fill in the west side pretty well!

And yes, I found it at Camping world. Had to have it, it just took me a few months to figure out what to do with it!

Old 12-09-2003, 04:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Thumbs up They are great!

Great job Stephanie. we have both Canada and the USA.. we put ours on inside of our outer door.. looks great.. just wish we could fill more in.. but can't cheat even if we both have been in most of the provinces and states.. but not with the A/S.. Annie 1976
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 04:46 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Yes, and no cheating by filling in where your AS has been without you either! Mine has been to Alaska, North Dakota, and probably anywhere else the International has been held in the last 7 years, but all with the previous owner...

Old 12-09-2003, 09:44 PM   #10
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Everyone has their own rules as what to color in on the maps.

When I had a map on my trailer, what I filled in was the sum of all the places I had been with a trailer; it was the sum of travels with the 3 SOB trailers that preceded my Airstreams. I also put stars over major cities that I visited.

My rule was that I either camp overnight in a state, make a visit to a major attraction within the state, or trailer the length or width of the state before I added it to the map. In most cases, the states I added qualified under more than one of the criteria and a lot of states qualified on all three tests. Short hauls in a state such as cutting across the NW corner of Georgia didn't rate coloring in.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 09:46 AM   #11
nds
3 Rivet Member

Depending on what you colored the states in with you could almost have a stained glass effect, for that religious moment in the library.
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 06:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Thanks, Shari. . .

I knew there was something I still needed to round out the Christmas morning surprises. I just ordered the States from Camping World. I can't wait to see Max start filling in all the places we've traveled and start planning where to head to this summer. What a way to dream beyond the snowy today Iwe've had! We are still AS wanna be's, enjoying our SOB, but dreaming of aluminum! I've had fun while shopping through all the mail order catalogs that deluge us in December--spotting all the aluminum and stainless steel accessories that would dress up our "someday" AS: ornaments, trash cans, grills, camp tables, patio lights, Coleman Coolers, and on and on.
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 07:18 PM   #13
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Here is what I have

This is the stick on states plaque I use. I cannot take a picture in the dark without it coming out horrible so I will post a picture off the web site. It is called travel trax. it is 12X13 and it does cost more than the normal stick on states. I have ours mounted on the brag board that is attached to the inside of our door.

http://www.harpermotoguzzi.com/tt.htm
Attached Images

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 08:07 PM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally posted by nds
Depending on what you colored the states in with you could almost have a stained glass effect, for that religious moment in the library.
Ooooh, good call. I pulled out some Gallery Glass (fake stained glass) paint I had bought for another project, pulled off the vinyl states stickers and painted it with the stained glass paint. It looks even cooler in person than the picture shows. Much better than doing it like everyone else. Of course now folks are going to think we're just more of those rich airstreamers, showing off with stained glass windows in the bathroom...
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2003, 01:39 PM   #15
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
stained glass look

Wasn't sure if I should add this here, but when Stephanie put in the last post about using her stained glass paint, I thought it might give others here some Christmas wish list ideas. We saw this listed in an RV mag. and thought what a cool idea for our bathroom window for privacy, yet not block sun. What do you think?

stained glass look

It is like a window cling, but with a special adhesive (can still be taken down & back up). Costs under $100., depending on size, can be pretty inexpensive. They have many different looks and are running a holiday sale right now. Just food for thought. Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 02:48 PM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
That's really cute. I think something like that would look pretty good in the bathroom window. In fact didn't Brett & Edie do that in their motorhome?

Old 12-17-2003, 04:10 PM   #17
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Steph,

Yes we did. It was available at Home depot for less than 20 bucks. There was enough to do the window, but for a big rear window you might need 2.

Here is a link to many types/choices.

http://search-desc.ebay.com/search/s...textsearched=2

Have fun!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 12-18-2003, 08:16 AM   #18
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Brett - was it the vinyl cling material that was at Home Depot? Did they have the stained glass paint too? I'm not the best artist in the house, but Price has done some stained glass in the past. Hmmmm..gonna think about this. Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 08:29 AM   #19
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Home Depot had just the cling. The ting I like about the cling is that it is easily removable. If we want to change the look in the bathroom we just peel it off and apply something new.

The paint would be available at a Michaels craft store, or something like that.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 12-18-2003, 10:58 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
If you go to the Home Depot web site and enter "Artscape" in the search box, you can see some of the designs we had to choose from there.

I think if you purchased one with an omnidirectional pattern, you might be able to do a large bathroom window. They are 24" x 36". The directions say that you can combine them to cover a larger window, so the pattern must match up on the edges.

The physical stores may have a larger selection of patterns. The pattern we chose is not currently shown on the web site.

I posted a photo of ours that I took at night in the Adventures of Brett and Edie III thread. It was posted on 10/20/03 and is currently toward the end of the thread.