Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2004, 07:36 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Steep Grades

I would appreciate any advice on handling steep grades without having to ride the brakes. Just came back from my first hilly adventure and was concerned about the amount of brake riding it took to get down those hills! Planning a mountainous trip this fall and don't want to worry about brake ware the whole time.

Thanks!

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 07:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Down shift and let the engine compression help with braking. You will still increase speed on steep grades, but use the brakes in spurts, slow down and then release them. It there is a rest area or scenic turnout take a break and let everything cool. Wear won't be as much of a problem as heat. The brakes can get hot enough to boil the fluid, then no brakes.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 10:03 AM   #3
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Take your time! I once boiled the fluidi n a Class A motorhome coming down a mountain pass that I had no business being on in the first place. Managed to stop at a turnout and let it site for an hour before I could use it again.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 10:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
The general rule of thumb is to go down the grade in the same gear it would take to go up it.

There is no substitute for caution. Don't ride the brakes. If you can't keep the speed down without a lot of brake use, then slow down and gear down. Be paranoid about over use of brakes so that you don't wait too long to decide its time to slow down and gear down. If you are going slow enough in a low enough gear you should only have to tap the brakes on occasion and never have to ride them to control speed.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 03:57 PM   #5
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
In addtion to all of the above.

I heard that when you do need to break, you should slow down to around 10-15mph lower than the posted speed, then let it creep up to 10 mph above the posted speed before you break again.

But never go faster than is safe or comfortable.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 04:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

My brother lives in Colorado and he told me that flatlanders don't know how
to go down " hills". He told me to slow down to a stop, and then resume.
Same as above he said don't ride the brakes. But he also said that he would rather wear out brakes than an engine. He is smarter than I look.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 04:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

I put a exhaust brake on my E350 ford 7.3 Liter diesel. It was a Pac Brake and it is one of the best investments I have made. It has saved my A** on many steep grades. Check exhaust brakes out, there are several styles and manufacturers. Also they are not difficult to install yourself.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 06:45 PM   #8
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave
My brother lives in Colorado and he told me that flatlanders don't know how
to go down " hills". He told me to slow down to a stop, and then resume.
Same as above he said don't ride the brakes. But he also said that he would rather wear out brakes than an engine. He is smarter than I look.
Does he also run an RV body shop, by any chance? Imagine coming to a complete stop on a freeway going downhill, 18 wheelers in your lane coming from behind.....
Second thought, perhaps he owns the town morgue....
Old 07-12-2004, 10:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
In addition to the above posts, you should consider changing your brake fluid. The following is the minimum standards for brake fluids:

DOT 3 dry boiling point: 401 deg F
DOT 3 wet boiling point: 284
DOT 4 dry boiling point: 446
DOT 4 wet boiling point: 311

One good brand is "ATE Super Blue Racing" rated at Dry: 536 Wet: 392

You should be changing your brake fluid every 2 years anyway.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I would assume that your Envoy is an automatic with a gasoline engine. Use a lower gear and don't ride the brakes. When your speed increases to an uncomfortable level apply your brakes steady to slow you down below what your comfortable speed is knowing that it will increase once again. Exhaust brakes on diesels is the only way to go in MHO.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 03:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac
In addition to the above posts, you should consider changing your brake fluid. The following is the minimum standards for brake fluids:

DOT 3 dry boiling point: 401 deg F
DOT 3 wet boiling point: 284
DOT 4 dry boiling point: 446
DOT 4 wet boiling point: 311

One good brand is "ATE Super Blue Racing" rated at Dry: 536 Wet: 392

You should be changing your brake fluid every 2 years anyway.

BINGO!

Most over looked service itiem out there and closely followed by changing coolant.

Brasstown Bald just about got me on a somewhat new to me vehicle. I was not riding the brakes and was geared down and still boiled the brakes.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 04:33 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Thanks for all the advice. Will definately check into changing/upgrading the brake fluid. Need to check the specs for what is in there now. As for down shifting, are we talking 3rd gear? I assume 2nd is too low? I've always just used "drive" since I have never towed anything prior to the Bambi.....

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 04:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Your trailer brakes and controller are working correctly? Need to use the trailer brakes.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 06:19 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Steep Grades

Greetings Paul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydc
Thanks for all the advice. Will definately check into changing/upgrading the brake fluid. Need to check the specs for what is in there now. As for down shifting, are we talking 3rd gear? I assume 2nd is too low? I've always just used "drive" since I have never towed anything prior to the Bambi.....
The gear selected depends a great deal on several factors including the vehicle involved, the load being towed, and the grade being encountered. Your owner's manual should give guidance about operation on grades including speed and RPM ranges when the various gears can be selected. When towing my Overlander in the Rocky Mountains ('99 Suburban in my signature), I frequently use second and in rare instances first. Last year, when towing the Minuet in Eastern Colorado ('99 Suburban in my signature), I didn't need to drop below second for any of the grades encountered. Just don't be alarmed by the "roar" of the engine especially on downgrades when you downshift - - just be sure that you aren't exceeding the RPM limit for that particular gear as stated in the owners' manual.

Good luck with your perparations for mountainous driving! - - At least we don't have quite as many obstacles today as Staci and Micky had in The Long, Long, Trailer back in the 1950s.

Kevin

P.S. You may also want to look into adding extra transmission cooling if you haven't already done so. I suspect that you may be fairly close to your GCVWR on your tow vehcile, and this type of driving can signficantly add to the cooling load - - the transmission oil cooler on my Suburban has an auxiliary electric cooling fan that is temperature controlled (the only time that I have noticed it in operation is when towing in mountainous terrain).
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Install a couple of aircraft devices.

First, a parachute.
Second, an ejection seat.

Instructions: if the parachute does not deploy when released, then use the ejection seat.............................................. ...........................

Naw Just Kidding!

On the real side keeping your brakes cool is the key. If there are no stops midway down the slope, then you may try alternating between using your trailer brakes alone and then in unision with your vehicle brakes. This is considering that your towing and not in a MH.

Another thing is not to let your speed get up high. It seems that your brakes can slow you better if your not moving so fast down a hill and I think this will probably cause less heat in your brake system too.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 11:38 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
2nd is fine if you need it, like on steep downhill secondary roads. It is doubtful that you would encounter an interstate downhill grade that was so steep you would need to use 2nd gear, nor would you want to slow down that much on the freeway for fear of being rear-ended. I use 2nd a lot in the twisty, hilly roads around Northern Calif. I have to use first on some of the very steep streets in my neighborhood to save my brakes excessive wear, but I go pretty slow when I do that. Just watch your tach to ensure engine speed stays below 3500-4000 max, and if you are moving significantly slower than the flow of traffic make sure you put your flashers on like truckers do.

The others are correct about using the brakes periodically to bring your speed down, then letting it slowly build back up and giving them time to cool briefly before applying them again, rather than riding them constantly. Be careful about pulling off and stopping to let them cool. They do not get nearly as much airflow just sitting there stopped and you can even warp a rotor where it is sitting stationary in the caliper between the pads. Better to keep it moving and cool them down as the road levels off.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:23 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
traction control

Paul,

If you find youself in a really steep grade and you feel second isn't holding the unit to your satisfaction you can always go into first. Howerver with your vehicle, if you have traction control, you must turn that off. Otherwise the transmission will not go into first.

I forgot about that until I came down the loveland pass in Co the other day. I had the transmission in first, but it stayed in second and I had to stay on the brakes a little too much. Finally I remembered and had a much less stressful decent.

Good luck

Mark
Old 07-27-2004, 12:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I have not been over the pass since they turned on the smog factory in Denver. In fact was leaving town that day listening to the traffic guy in the helicopter, he was all but crusing the power plant. Heard he was fired for not cooperating with progress. Heard Denver has had alot of progress since then. Cann't imagine coming down with an trailer pushing you the whole way.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 01:51 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Do keep in mind that there is only so much an engine can do brakeing the kind of loads that we are pulling. Watch your Tach! Don't over rev your engine! 454's have been known to come apart by careless downshifts. Just use your head and good judgement you will do fine.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote