Old 10-20-2014, 06:45 AM   #29
Retired Fishing Guide

2005 28' Classic
Port O'Connor , Republic of Texas
Air morgan , (#1) As an old trucker , I always stay hooked up if the spot allows it by being level and long enough if for only one night.
(#2) I stabilize the trailer with the rear stabilizers and the Tounge Jack with only enough to keep the trailer stabil if staying hooked up to TV. Otherwise I use all 4 stabilizers
(#4) I try to get diesel at a Wal Mart or Murphy's if possible due to price. If I do use a truck stop ,I use the Truck pumps as I have an Aux. Tank and carry 100 gals on board , which gives me a range of over 1100 miles. Plus the fact that my rig is 55' long
As dannydimitt stated , I also use Gas Buddy to locate the best price.

WBCCI # 3133
Cap-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:51 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air morgan View Post
#1. When pulling into a campground in the evening just for overnight, do you leave your AS still hitched up to tv for one overnight stay? Providing site is fairly level.

#2. If leaving hitched up, do you put down the jacks for one overnight stay?

#3. When set up in a campground for an extended period of time. If you know there is a good chance of bad weather with high winds, do you hook tv back up to hitch to help stabilize AS should there be high wind gust?

#4. When needing diesel in my motorhome, I would normally stop at a large station such as T/A, Loves, Petro, etc. etc. and go around back and fuel up diesel where the 18 wheelers do. I have noticed that the few diesel pumps in front are normally in close quarters and seem to be hard to pull up to with about 45ft of pickup and airstream. My question is: do you diesel user try to wade right in up front with the cars or do you drive to the rear where the diesel pumps are lined up for the truckers?
1. Yes. With the Ford I would leave the electrical umbilical connected, but with the Ram I'll remove it. The difference is because the Ford's 12 volt line was switched with ignition power - it turned off when the engine was off - while the Ram's is constantly on, and I don't want to have the truck batteries connected to the camper while we're plugged in at a campsite, or run down if we're boondocking.

2. We put the jacks down - bouncy Airstream otherwise.

3. We've gotten some wind while camping and at home and haven't had a problem with it moving. I wouldn't worry about it.

4. I always use the truck pumps. Easy in, easy out. Pay at the pump with credit card limits that are far higher than I need, and a faster fuel rate. At a few stations I've had some minor issues but normally it works fine.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:55 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Walmart can be twenty percent bio if that is an issue. Jim
Old 10-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Just be aware that filling at the Truck pumps, if you are using diesel, may not be wise. Depending on the state the taxes at the truck pumps may not be correct for your type of rig. Example in Arizona there is a difference between a non commercial vs commercial rig. Just saw this discussion from an Escapees bulletin. Something like 8 cents less for non commercial. Similar issue in Oregon. Commercial doesn't pay tax at the pump.
ProPride
NØVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:21 PM   #33
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I've regretted not remaining hooked up due to flash flood. Had water nearly to top step before getting truck hitched. Gravel washing away and trailer leaning over at a KOA

I prefer truck pumps and choose based on brand

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:29 PM   #34

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I hate to say it, but in a pinch I think I'd leave the trailer in a heartbeat - get us and the dogs packed up and to safety. We can always come back for the trailer, and if there was a real emergency, we are more maneuverable without it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:42 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Here's an idea… buy a bunch of cheap luggage tags. On each one, write down an item that you want to remember before you drive away: raise stabilizers, take down antenna, whatever. Then when you're setting up camp and drop the stabilizers, you attach the stabilizers luggage tag somewhere obvious such as the grab bar next to the door. When you raise the antenna, you attach the antenna luggage tag. And so on. Then as you pack up to head out, when you raise the stabilizers you remove the stabilizers luggage tag, etc. until all of the tags have been removed and you know that you've done everything needful.
...or, just use a checklist ... preferably on a placard or inside of a clear vinyl sheet protector ...
Old 10-21-2014, 12:21 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Anchorage , Alaska
I pretty much agree with everyone else, (but I prefer the big rig pumps, I like to fill my tank fast!) I have a little wind speciality info. Our trailers have gone through serious wind (100+ mph) and have never blown over. Never had the TV attached during these wind storms. I think if the wind is strong enough wind to blow over an Airstream, I think it could take the TV over too. So honestly, I wouldn't worry, if the wind is that bad, I'd evacuate.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:16 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Having just sold my Allegro Bus 43 QGP and purchased my third Airstream, Serenity 30 RB, I have similar experiences. With the Bus, flat towing a Subaru Impreza (over 60' total) for over 50,000 miles, and towing my previous Airstreams about 40,000 miles with a Dodge/Cummins 2500 Crew Cab Long Bed, I am now with my new Serenity about 53' overall.

I Almost always stay one night on the road at big truck stops or rest areas on Interstate. Have never disconnected, but do find a relatively level parking spot. Have never disconnected electrical, nor put stabilizer jacks down.

Refueling, unless the "Auto/RV Diesel" area is exceptionally large I always pull through with the big rigs. Usually I pay cash for diesel as I do not like the big credit card bills. I am cautious about avoiding any biodiesel as fuel mileage suffers.

In earlier days pulling a 27FB International I went through blizzards, one with winds strong enough to push the trailer out at 45 degrees on the icy Interstate in Wyoming.

However, my new trailer will discharge the batteries unless I disconnect the subwoofer.

Future plans.... 60 gallon auxiliary tank with filter in bed so I an be more selective with fuel choices.

Have happy towing and maybe see you in Farmington.....

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:17 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Oh - a couple people made me realize something I missed: If I were staying in a parking lot or a rest area, I definitely wouldn't put the stabilizers down. However, the original question was about staying in a campsite, where I would put the stabilizers down.

Had not heard that about the diesel pumps. Oh well...it's not likely we're going to be visiting Oregon any time soon anyway. Not enough leave to travel that far.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Sorry, I missed the point….but…..if I were not going anywhere in a campground, I would see no need to unhook from my TV. And, I can see putting the stabilizers down, only if several people were going to be in the Airstream, as in a dinner party. Alone, I would not worry about it.

As to the TV being a stabilizer for the trailer, I am not certain i would believe this. My imagination suggests the trailer would blow over, and it would carry the TV with it, or severely damage the TV. In high wind I think I would like to see how the Airstream does with the stabilizers down, and possibly some other type of restraint system holding the trailer to the ground.

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 10-22-2014, 05:46 PM   #40
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Turn the combined rig to face the wind. Chock wheels on both and lower stabilizers.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Turn the combined rig to face the wind. Chock wheels on both and lower stabilizers.

I am afraid I found myself laughing as I imagined doing this in the campgrounds I have been in…..very limited in where one is allowed to park… or in a truck stop….wow, the truckers would be doing more than laughing.

I like the idea, however, if one can determine the wind direction. Where i come from it tends to vary quite a bit….. still…. (at myself)

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 10-22-2014, 08:05 PM   #42
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
I am afraid I found myself laughing as I imagined doing this in the campgrounds I have been in…..very limited in where one is allowed to park… or in a truck stop….wow, the truckers would be doing more than laughing.

I like the idea, however, if one can determine the wind direction. Where i come from it tends to vary quite a bit….. still…. (at myself)
Laugh all you like. There was someone here on AirForums a couple years ago, boondocking near the ocean, who did exactly this when a storm came ashore. The idea is that your Airstream is already designed to resist wind loading along the fore-and-aft axis from the slipstream while it's being towed, so it's best able to remain stable for wind loading from storms in that axis, too.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote