Old 10-19-2014, 08:31 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I find with the twin beds front to rear leveling is more important than side to side. So when we stop just one night I stay hitched but put down the jack to give some stability and to lift the front to level if needed. I put a note on the dash so I remember to take up the jack .....

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

2014 25' Flying Cloud Rear Twin
2012 Dodge Durango Hemi/AWD
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:35 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Unless there is a serious problem with leveling, we always stay hooked up for an over night stay, and always put down the front tongue jack and the rear stabilizers, front too if we are going to put out the slide.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #17
1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
I have an F350 Powerstroke. The fuel nozzles at the truck pumps are very large and it's easy to get fuel all over the side of the pickup. I don't know about camping. I have my Airstream parked behind the house on the ranch where I work. I hesitating parking it broadside to the north because the wind comes off a big hay meadow 50-80 mph fairly often. I have the stablizers down and wheels chalked. This summer a wind in excess of 70mph came through here. Tossed all the pallets off my hay tarp so I was lying on the tarp to keep the hay from getting wet. Blew the upstairs window out of the house. As soon as I could stand in the wind, I ran through the house and got in the AS. Wasn't even moving. Turned out it was a tornado a little ways away.
If you are in a farming or ranching area you will find at least one diesel pump designed for a pickup with a large stock trailer. Know your turning radius!
janeinthemtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We stay hitched when passing through: put down jack to take tension off the TV, and unplug from the TV. We occasionally put stabilizers down if we're going to put out the awning for some reason, but usually not. Mornings are easy and fast, and we're on the road quickly.
Even in the extreme high winds we hit in Kansas and Colorado last spring, we've never been concerned about needing to stay hitched for stability of the trailer. The awning now, that's a different story! That baby can really rock the cradle in winds. Best to leave 'er up.

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
One alternative to the note on the steering wheel would be a towing checklist that you use every time before you roll out. It includes checking all the hitch parts, making sure the step is up, the trailer is unplugged, loose items are secured, the fridge is locked, lights are working, etc. This has saved us several times over the years!

I think we have only left the trailer hooked up once. I am paranoid someone will steal the whole rig while were asleep in it I'm more comfortable unhooked.

Short trailers don't need stabilizers so much. We've gone entire trips witthout using them.

Never had weather so bad it effect the trailer. We rode out a pretty good windstorm once while the tenters around us were getting blown away.

Gassing up, we use regular car section. We might hog the whole side, but it's quick and they get a good sale out of us.

Enjoy your new rig!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Marthasville , Missouri
Welcome to the Forum. We stay hooked-up for one nighters, but do disconnect the cable. Normally we put the front jack down for stability and off load the truck some. We prefer the major truck stops for diesel. Not always the quickest or the cleanest, but we're always able to get in and out without problems. The major truck stops have a well supplied store if you need something. But as with most things, do what works best for you.
WBCCI 11988
AirEgger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:44 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
Enjoy your Airstream adventure. If we stop overnight with an early departure we stay hooked up as long as there is enough room for TV and trailer on the site. We hook up electric and sometimes water. We like Flying J truck stops because they have RV pumps in front. We also use Shell a lot as long as there is a visible out. We have never hooked up due to weather.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:41 PM   #22
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
We are often parked and remain hitched (unless we need to access our gen in the rear of the TV) ... we level side to side with boards ...try to keep the front of the AS slightly downhill ...then, raise the front up slightly with the camper / tongue jack. If it is a one-nighter, we don't bother with the stabilizers. However, the front is relatively stable when still connected to the TV ... only the rear "keeps a rockin"
~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #23
Rivet Master
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
The issue of leveling aside (you need to be reasonably level for comfort and proper fridge operation) I would take the strain off the WD bars and tow vehicle whenever possible. So while you may not need to completely unhitch for an overnight stop, I would deploy the hitch jack and unhook the WD bars.

Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:54 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member
1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
We usually always stay hooked up overnight , I have a 5 ton Hydraulic jack to use on the low side of trailer " just easier than getting the blocks out and pulling or backing up on them , and then put the tongue jack down to level for and aft , then last put the two rear stabilizers down . this makes for a non wobbly stay and have been doing it for so many decades that if I did not do it , would probably be up all night fretting about it .
I purposely leave the electrical plugged into the truck , because it has two very big batteries and the trailer just one . We are hardly ever at a site with electrical hookups and mostly stay at high elevations where it gets cold at night and the furnace cuts on and off all night . Even when unhooked from the trailer we always plug the electric cord to the truck when we get back to camp. If for some reason the batteries went dead , would fire up the generator and let the converter "battery charger" build up all of them .

As far as the fuel goes , we have a range of 1800 miles on a fill up of diesel and pick where we get fuel using gas buddy and deal with whatever the situation is when we get there. "have never not been able to get to a pump"
Have fun with your new trailer .
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:41 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member
2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Originally Posted by dannydimitt View Post
... As far as the fuel goes , we have a range of 1800 miles on a fill up of diesel...
That is impressive.
2012 Ram 3500 CTD 4X4 pickup
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:20 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member
1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas

Originally Posted by 21Airstream View Post
That is impressive.
Having driven the Alcan back in 1970 "much different now" and sweating in anticipation that we would make it to the next gas pump after all the cans were empty and the last tank showing empty on the gauge, I opted to get and install a RDS Vertical Diesel Fuel Transfer/Auxiliary Tank — 90-Gallon, Model# 72118 from Amazon "from northern tool , but the shipping is about half of what it is ordering from northern tool direct ??? and an install kit to hook it directly into the fuel filler hose , and I added a valve inline to let me control when and where I wanted the fuel to gravity feed from the 90 gallon tank in the bed. This works wonderfully with no problems whatsoever and only takes a minimum amount of floorspace as it sits upright ahead of the wheel wells and is below eye level while seated in the cab. Mine is a short bed 4 door 3/4 ton Dodge and it fits like a glove.
The Cummins coupled to the 5 spd gear box can easily travel over 1800 miles between fuel stops pulling the Airstream trailer , allowing us to pick and choose where to get fuel and not have to pay incredibly inflated prices in remote and resort places that are notoriously over priced .
on our trip to Alaska and back in 2013 we filled the tanks in Bastrop Texas , then again in Cheyenne , Wyoming "Lowest price on the trip" . then topped off in Helena Mt. and again in White Fish before crossing into Canada. Drove to Grande Prairie Alberta "low price fuel" and filled up the tanks. Headed over to Dawson creek and up the Alaskan highway , with a side trip to Skagway , back to White Horse ,up to Dawson in the Klondike, top of the world to Chicken Ak , then to Tok , AK and took on enough fuel there to cruise into Fairbanks and fuel up there. Topped off in Eagle before doing a week or so out on to Homer and all sorts of nifty places then topped of again in Eagle , filled up in Tok , then down the Alkan to the Cassier , South to Hyder and Stewart , south through Smithers ,prince George , then took on enough fuel in Quisnel British Columbia to get into Washington State. Got enough there to get into Montana , Filled up then again in Greely Colordo . Got Home with over 800 miles left in the tanks .

Will it ever pay back the 600 buck investment ??? But being able to travel for days without worrying over where to get fuel , the price , will it be open , Etc. And driving past the super high dollar places without slowing down , is priceless.

The extra pounds of weight are not even noticed in the bed of the Dodge and does not detract from the mileage in any discernible way .

Now that we are back from our "epic adventure" the extra fuel capacity is nice in that we can hook up and drive over to the mountains in New Mexico , camp up in the nice cool temperature , for a week or three , then make it back home without ever having to take on fuel.
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:30 AM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Years ago, a stay at a truck stop was ok. Granted, many of them are not level, but I never have a problem finding a spot that was reasoanbly level, so that the reefer would still function correctly.

One of the biggest things a person should do however, is disconnect the 12 volt cable, so that you can run the trailer battery down, but not the tow vehicle. Some vehicles do have an interior switch that automatically disconnects the battery when the ignition is off. In that way, you will always be able to start the engine.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:45 AM   #28
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by Tyvekcat View Post
I put a post it note on the door on the inside of the AS the night before if its important and surely want to remember, to help me,LOL
Here's an idea… buy a bunch of cheap luggage tags. On each one, write down an item that you want to remember before you drive away: raise stabilizers, take down antenna, whatever. Then when you're setting up camp and drop the stabilizers, you attach the stabilizers luggage tag somewhere obvious such as the grab bar next to the door. When you raise the antenna, you attach the antenna luggage tag. And so on. Then as you pack up to head out, when you raise the stabilizers you remove the stabilizers luggage tag, etc. until all of the tags have been removed and you know that you've done everything needful.

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote