Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2018, 12:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
The Woodlands , Texas
Stay in Big Bend NP at Thanksgiving - Without a Reservation?

Hi Everyone,

I am planning a trip to Big Bend National Park (myself, wife, and two kids 12, and 9) over Thanksgiving (11/18 – 11/24), and would be grateful for advice on the likelihood of being able to obtain one of the non-reservable, first come, first serve spots in the park. Or as this is a peak time should we give up on the idea of staying in the park and reserve at a private RV park?

I had set a reminder to reserve one of the 43 sites at Rio Grande Village, as the sites can only be reserved six months in advance. I was surprised to see all of the sites are already booked, as I thought I was on top of making early reservations!

For what it’s worth, we have solar and are happy to boondock in a backcountry site providing the road isn’t too rough for the AS.

Does anyone have a rough estimate of when during peak times at Big Bend, the non-reservable sites at the Rio Grande, and Cottonwood campsites, and the backcountry sites usually fill up? For example, do sites usually fill by mid morning, or not until nightfall?

Please pass on any other tips.
Thanks!
LesMesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:35 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMesa View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am planning a trip to Big Bend National Park (myself, wife, and two kids 12, and 9) over Thanksgiving (11/18 – 11/24)...

Does anyone have a rough estimate of when during peak times at Big Bend, the non-reservable sites at the Rio Grande, and Cottonwood campsites, and the backcountry sites usually fill up? For example, do sites usually fill by mid morning, or not until nightfall?

Please pass on any other tips.
Thanks!
Week of Thanksgiving to Easter is peak season if not earlier in the fall. I've seen ice in Nov. and 95 degrees the week of Christmas. We mostly 4x4 River Road and pull out of arroya to camp. Would try to get an electric site. State park or commercial park? Long distance between fill ups.

Maybe get there a day or two early?
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote