Old 08-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1987 34' Limited
Republic , Missouri
Staunton, VA area-Need a place to do my axle swap

I have purchased 3 new axles fo my 34' Limited from Andy at Inland RV. I didn't want to invest another $450 in shipping when I'm headed very close on a trip in late Sept. My brother lives outside Staunton but his place is hilly and gravel surface. He is checking with his friends to see if he can come up with a suitable place. I only need electricity for my electric impact wrench and a concrete or asphalt surface so I can move the axles around on a jack. I would not be unhooking from the tow vehicle and would only be putting blocks under 2 axles while doing one axle replacement at a time. So needless to say it will be a safe approach to the job.

I will be pretty much doing this by myself while my wife sits in a chair and makes sure I don't accidently knock myself out or something Murphy's Law could come up with. Certainly I wouldn't turn down help but just realize I would be ever grateful just to have the 2 things I need above. I will be able to bring a floor jack or motorcycle lift jack and tools. I plan on starting with squirting penetrating oil on those bolts that need to come off well before getting to VA from Missouri.

Every one on here doing axle swap with Henscen axles do it in 1-2 hrs per axle. I would not be dragging this out and intend on being quick about the repair. After all it is my vacation. Things that would make it better would only be maybe using a floor jack there and not having to haul mine for 2000 miles. More helpful might be another person to help me unload new axles and load the old ones. They are 220 lbs each.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and consider. I will also be in the Bedford and Lynchburg area just after seeing my brother in Staunton so that would be another place I could do the swap if nothing works out anywhere nere Staunton area.

Thanks very much, Bigspoke

Old 08-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Henschen

Isn't the Henschen plant across the street from AS in Jackson Center, OH?? A trip to Ohio might be shorter, if Andy can order them and you could pick them up in Ohio? Just wondering! JC is the mother ship! You could visit the Airstream plant AND pick up the axles.

Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1987 34' Limited
Republic , Missouri
Yep, that's the plan. Leave Missouri, drive to Jackson Center, OH and pick up axles. Arrive in Virginia to vacation and complete axle install. Only about 180 miles out of my way on my normal route I take from MO-VA trips.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
$$$

How much would it cost to have JC install those axles?? Those guys ought to be really fast.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 08-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1987 34' Limited
Republic , Missouri
loudruff, they are an easy install and I do my own auto and tractor repairs when possible (plan to this axle job also). It will be a job I will do when my brother is at work and we'll not be able to visit until he gets off work at night. Thanks for the thought though. Bigspoke
Old 08-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
yep

Yes, I know it is easy enough for someone who knows their way around a tool box. Larry has done ours on the Minuet, and has helped DanB (forums member also). DanB has posted a thread about doing the axle on his silver baby and inserted lots of pictures. You may want to look in the Axles Forum.Here is the link: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...ion-53757.html

Ours can be found also. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...tml#post701449

Sounds like you have a plan. Hope you find a nice, cool, shady "spot" to get it done. Good luck!
Lou and Larry . . . . in HOT Ohio!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 08-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #7
camper collector

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Americus , Georgia
Please email me--I have someone in Lynchburg that might can help--

Camper
Old 08-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #8
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Locust Grove , Virginia
We live in Lynchburg but are in a gated community where we can't even bring in our 27, let alone a 34'. I'll think about anyplace around where you can do it and PM you if I come up with a location.
By the way, we would like to meet you while you're in the area. Let us know when you'll be here.
We're taking our 27' to Jackson Center on 9/21 to get some badly needed warranty repairs.
2010 TREK 2.3

Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:25 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1987 34' Limited
Republic , Missouri
Axle replacement

Camper, I sent you an email with my contact info. I hope you got it.

FordTruck, I would love to get in touch with you while in Lynchburg. I'm guessing it will be around the 29 or 30th of Sept when we'll be thru your town. I'll PM you contact info and you can let me know if you'll be around then.

Thanks, bigspoke