Old 09-21-2005, 07:21 AM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Montgomery , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
State of fall colors in Yellowstone

Hi all, I am departing for yellowstone tommorow and I will be there starting this weekend. If anyone has checked out the link to my web page you will know I am also a photobuff. I normally shoot black and white but was thinking about carrying more color for this trip if the folage is at peak. Since I shoot sheet film it is a tad expensive to carry full load outs of both, so for any of you who have recent knowledge of the state of folage at yellowstone and grand teton my question is this: What is the current state of the colors?

For everyone else, feel free to visit my web page and see the galleries.

This is the first offical trip with the airstream and my first fall trip to yellowstone AND the first time my mom and her husband will see yellowstone so I am excited about the trip for a number of reasons.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:48 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Tipton , Iowa
Rodney,

Call the Park Service office. They ought to be able to tell you the current state and when to expect the most vibrant foliage.

By Mail
P.O. Box 168
Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190-0168

By Phone
Visitor Information
307-344-7381

http://www.nps.gov/yell/

Happy shooting!

Roger

Old 09-21-2005, 02:57 PM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

1998 31' Limited
Walkerton , Virginia
Rodney,

I'm beginning my trip West next week and will be looking forward to reading your reports as I can. Have a great trip.

Pat
Old 09-21-2005, 08:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
1967 26' Overlander
Lisle , Illinois
You lucky dawg you. Wish I were going with.....

I would give you Karma, but I have hit my limit for now....just yuou wait.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 11:49 AM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Montgomery , earth
Well, the trip was great and a good time was had by all........saw lots of AS trailers and one MH. If you havent seen Yellowstone in the fall you really owe it to yourself to go.

One night there was an old 19fter next to us and I got to see the refurbishing (REALLY NICE). Anyway, the owner pointed out that the lights he had installed (florescents I think) used alot less power than original lighting; so now I am wondering if I should go to newer lights in place of the origninal lighting in my '68. Is this a bulb issue, fixture issue, both? Being prone to boondocking extending battery life is an issue of importance to me. Any ideas folks?

and the
My Blog

Old 10-21-2005, 08:28 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 24' Tradewind
Silver City , Motorcourt
Glad you had a great trip! We have never been out west, but hope to take the AS out next year.
I just visited your website, (great photos - love the fireworks!), and saw your airstream photos.....where did the ugly box come from?

PEACE!

Holly
silvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 11:48 AM   #7
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Montgomery , earth
the ugly box

The ugly box was installed by a previous owner. If all goes well it will go away some time next year. You will have a great trip just about anywhere you want to go out west. I cant get enough of it myself. If you have some idea of where you are headed, make sure and ask the folks here online about the area. It is almost certian that someone will be able to tell you about things to see or do that you might miss otherwise.

and the
My Blog

Old 10-22-2005, 02:57 PM   #8

1975 25' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
We love yellowstone. We have nver been in the fall or winter. Two thing we need to do. Yes, you have a nice trailer with one very ugly box
Old 10-22-2005, 06:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
1967 26' Overlander
Lisle , Illinois
Sorry, but I like the box..... I love Yellowstone too.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
Happy wife, happy life.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:25 PM   #10

1975 25' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Which campground did you stay at? We have gone in the summer and like the Madison CG. Since they did not take reservations you needed to be in line by 8:00AM to have a shot at a spot. AT Madison I could walk down to the river and throw a few flies anytime I got the urge. It must get pretty cool at night this time of year.

BTW, it's your trailer, your box, life is good!
Old 10-22-2005, 07:47 PM   #11
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Montgomery , earth
We stayed at fishing bridge at the RV prision. It was my first stay at that campground. Frankly, I dont care for it much but the electric was key since I havent gotten the new furnace in and was using an electric heater. It got into the mid 20s the nights we were there. I havent stayed at Madison so far although I had initally planned on it for this trip, I am a big fan of Indian Creek and slough creek.

For a first major trip I was delighted with the trailer. Defininately want to get that furnance and water heater into play for future trips along with a larger battery bank and a propane powered generator.

Heaven willing and if the creeks dont rise, in addition to ALOT of short trips in the comming year, I hope to take a three week trip next summer. We havent even had a sign of frost and I have already had the atlas out. By the way, has anyone here been to Great Basin National Park........

and the
My Blog

Old 10-22-2005, 09:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
We stayed at fishing bridge at the RV prision.
We stayed there the first night too. Theo and I called it the RV subdivision. 35 bucks a night and they still want 3 bucks for a shower ! We then moved down to Mammoth Hot Springs. A far better place. Warmer too since it is a little over a thousand feet lower.

Chris

Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 01:59 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Any YellowStone "words of wisdom"?

Since several of you were just there, do any of you have words of wisdom to impart for a 1st timer to YP and will be bringing 3 kids along.

Best/worst place to stay?
Best places to visit?? Shops, attractions, etc....
Towns/areas to avoid?
Anyother thoughts to pop up and seems even slightly relavent, include them, PLEASE!

Will preort back after the trip and let everyone know how things went on our trip to Yellowstone. Ciao for now!

Axel
Old 10-23-2005, 09:03 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
1967 26' Overlander
Lisle , Illinois
In a couple of words.... ( yea right... )
Day trips. That is the way we do it. Get up eat some sort of breakfast and wander down to the ranger post/ lodge in the area you're in and see what is going on in the area you're staying. Stop by the local general store for the days provisions and head out on the days adventures. We would have a early dinner (worked out to two meals a day [saving money that way] and a snack at"lunch time")

There is more to the upper Geyser basin than Old Faithful. Be sure to check in at the visitor center at Old Faithful to see what the prediction times of the other geysers are through out the park.

Check out the Yellowstone web page for road construction and closiers just before you leave for the park.

When you get to the park entrance they will give you a map of the park and a "news paper". Read them. The map gives you a good idea of what is where including the general stores and main "attractions". The news paper gives you some of the basic rules that will help you live through your first trip to the park and what some of the "guided" tours are at the different ranger stations. There is more than you can do in a two weeks time at Yellowstone. Just kick back and go with the flow.

Mammoth, Old Faithful and Canyon are hot tourist spots and can get crowded. Where Roosevelt, Grant and Lake are fairly quiet.

BTW I have 5 trips and the wife about 15 trips to Yellowstone. We like it there because it is different every time we are there. In 2003 the three quarters of the Norris geyser basin was closed due unstable thermal conditions.

If you have time order the planning kit the park offers.

Outside the park Cody (we named our first son for the town) and West Yellowstone are cool tourist towns. Grand Teton just south of Yellowstone is great too.

AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
Happy wife, happy life.