Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Spring Trip to Albuquerque for Vintage Airstream Academy!

We are in the planning stages for our trip to to join in the fun and learning at the Academy this May, and are hoping to get some ideas about things to do out there as well as during our travels to/from.

Roughly speaking, we believe it is around 1500 miles out for us, so we're thinking four days drive -- does that sound about right? Also, at first glance, we know we could go I-70 to St Louis, MO; I-44 to Oklahoma City, OK; and pick up I-40 to Albuquerque, NM. However, we are hoping to get off of the interstates when possible, but also don't want to get onto any real time killers (since we have such a distance to go), and especially would like any information on just plain bad roads (rough). Oh, we have about 15 days for this trip.

We went out West six years ago with our old car club group and went to Santa Fe, NM and Pueblo, CO (car show), among other various stops. However, I was hoping to get some of this fine group's thoughts on great driving roads to take for wonderful scenery; great food (l-0-v-e Mexican); etc. When we were out there before, we fell in love with Tia Sophia's restaurant in Santa Fe, and Jorjes in Pueblo, CO.

Also, we are wanting to travel a different route coming and going. Hoping to hear from a lot of you for places to stop enroute to overnight; eat; sightsee, as well as while we're out there. One place we're really wanting to go to if we can get the time is Sodona, AR, but it looks as though that is a six-hour drive from Albuquerque which would mean an overnight and that's the wrong direction if we do it going home.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Just remember that I-44 is a toll road from the Western Missouri border to OKC where you can pick up I-40.

I doubt you will drive the toll road 75mph speed limit, but the police like to hand out "performance awards" to enthusiastic drivers. Fuel is available either side of the toll booths (one either side of Tulsa) and some have the usual greasy chain food stores attached to the gas stations.

On can become very aware of the roughly 20' between seams in the road in Missouri. It can be twisty in some areas.

Sedona, AZ is a beautiful area, but one would need several says just to see the sights.

Santa Fe has several very nice trailer parks and there are lots of art galleries, museums, hiking opportunities and eateries. Continuing north on I-25, you will end up in the Denver area and could head East from there or continue North and go east on I-80.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Thanks Switz for the information. I wasn't aware that I-44 was a toll road all the way from the MO border to OKC, I had noticed it was at least in part. I must say that I was looking at a US map, and I haven't gotten down to the nitty gritty of looking over individual state's maps, which I'll do after going to AAA for them.

It's looking more and more like Sedona, AZ will have to wait until we retire for us to get there, time just isn't there for this trip.

A northerly return trip is probably in store for us.

Thanks again.

Deb
Old 01-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Try 66

Forget the toll road , get your kicks on Rt 66 . You can cruise a lot of it in Oklahoma. Enjoy great museums , original attractions ,and some great mom and pop restaurants. I'm headed to the VTA again this year ,can't wait.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:26 PM   #5
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
We made the trip back East last summer and will have to say there sure is a lotta corn between here and there, if you consider that scenery.

The interstate is a good way to get from A to B in shortest time, but we took Highway 36 and found the pace pretty good at 55-65mph. Still a lot of corn, but less traffic and some interesting towns and historic stops along the way (Mark Twain's Hannibal, MO; Abe Lincoln's home; Pony Express Station; and the largest ball of twine)! But those stops can eat up your time. Also Highway 56 is another alternate route.

As Switz says, you could head up through Santa Fe, and CO where there are some nice CG along the way. Check out allstays.com for CG's.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Hmmm. If it were me, I'd find a way down from OH to someplace in TN and then take US Hwy 64 all the way to Taos, then turn south to Santa Fe and ABQ. Indeed, apart from a short stretch just outside of Santa Fe, you might be able to avoid the interstate thing for the whole trip. (Can't speak for the stretch between OH and TN, though.)

Lynn
Old 01-22-2014, 10:09 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Hmmm. If it were me, I'd find a way down from OH to someplace in TN and then take US Hwy 64 all the way to Taos, then turn south to Santa Fe and ABQ. Indeed, apart from a short stretch just outside of Santa Fe, you might be able to avoid the interstate thing for the whole trip. (Can't speak for the stretch between OH and TN, though.)

Lynn
I'll have to try 64 one day.

I have taken 50/400 through Wichita, Dodge City, Pueblo. It's 2 lane most of the way it seems and light traffic usually. There are a few stock yards along the way though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140122_230821.png
Views:	107
Size:	354.5 KB
ID:	204196  
'65 Buick Electra 225 convt.
willapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Thanks so much everyone for these suggestions -- we'll check all of those out.

63air, looks as tho we'll be seeing you out there, I can't wait either! So, you've been there before..........is there anything you could suggest we take along to have besides a notepad for notes?

Thanks again.

Deb

PS -- Anyone have favorite eateries?
Old 01-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
I went several years ago for one session, namely, on replacing an AC on a vintage rig. It was extremely helpful. However, I wish in hindsight that I had had a small camera, maybe even one with video capability. Certainly not necessary for whole sessions, but for small, targeted problem areas of restoration and/or repair as a supplement to written notes and memory.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post
Thanks so much everyone for these suggestions -- we'll check all of those out.

63air, looks as tho we'll be seeing you out there, I can't wait either! So, you've been there before..........is there anything you could suggest we take along to have besides a notepad for notes?

Thanks again.

Deb

PS -- Anyone have favorite eateries?
Old 01-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Adair , Oklahoma
Great Travel Plaza on I-40

Air Cruiser: I see where you might be an old car enthusiast and, if so, you don't want to miss Russell's Car Museum and Travel Plaza at exit 639 on I-40 just after you cross over the Texas state line into New Mexico. They have a fantastic display of old cars as well as other items. Mostly, '50 models. Go to russelsttc.com for more info. The travel plaza is one of the best there is. Great restaurant and plenty of parking. Here are a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG6243.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	204210   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG6233.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	204211  

Name:	CIMG6264.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	204212   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG6247.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	204213  

Old 01-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Yep, that truck stop is right at the exit where folks coming that direction turn off the interstate to come over to Cimarron and up to the Moreno Valley (Eagle Nest, Angel Fire) and further west to Taos. The exit is located just two or three miles north of Springer, NM. And the truck stop has plenty of room to park the Airstream while you eat a sandwich.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASRookie View Post
Air Cruiser: I see where you might be an old car enthusiast and, if so, you don't want to miss Russell's Car Museum and Travel Plaza at exit 639 on I-40 just after you cross over the Texas state line into New Mexico. They have a fantastic display of old cars as well as other items. Mostly, '50 models. Go to russelsttc.com for more info. The travel plaza is one of the best there is. Great restaurant and plenty of parking. Here are a few pics.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
When we went 3 years ago, we took 160 off Hwy 25 in southern Colorado over to Durango to ride the narrow gauge railroad, the Silverton. It's an all day ride through the mountains and is very beautiful. If the railroad tracks are open, it's worth the visit. 160 is also a beautiful trip in and of itself.
We'll see you there this year. Unfortunately we won't have much sightseeing time due to other obligations so will be interstating there and home.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:21 PM   #13
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post
We are in the planning stages for our trip to to join in the fun and learning at the Academy this May, and are hoping to get some ideas about things to do out there as well as during our travels to/from.

Roughly speaking, we believe it is around 1500 miles out for us, so we're thinking four days drive -- does that sound about right? Also, at first glance, we know we could go I-70 to St Louis, MO; I-44 to Oklahoma City, OK; and pick up I-40 to Albuquerque, NM. However, we are hoping to get off of the interstates when possible, but also don't want to get onto any real time killers (since we have such a distance to go), and especially would like any information on just plain bad roads (rough). Oh, we have about 15 days for this trip.

We went out West six years ago with our old car club group and went to Santa Fe, NM and Pueblo, CO (car show), among other various stops. However, I was hoping to get some of this fine group's thoughts on great driving roads to take for wonderful scenery; great food (l-0-v-e Mexican); etc. When we were out there before, we fell in love with Tia Sophia's restaurant in Santa Fe, and Jorjes in Pueblo, CO.

Also, we are wanting to travel a different route coming and going. Hoping to hear from a lot of you for places to stop enroute to overnight; eat; sightsee, as well as while we're out there. One place we're really wanting to go to if we can get the time is Sodona, AR, but it looks as though that is a six-hour drive from Albuquerque which would mean an overnight and that's the wrong direction if we do it going home.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Deb
Okay, lots of good ideas so far and I agree w/Lynn the drive from Cimmaron is beautiful, though it's been along time since I've done it. While in ABQ you have to go up to Chaco Canyon to walk among the ruins of the Anazazi. There is a campground there but, I don't believe they have hookups....a must see. Santa Fe and Taos are also must see places and you explore at all that will more than eat up your stay. You'll love it!
Enjoy, and let us know how it all was....
Mark
Old 01-24-2014, 01:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
So many excellent ideas!

Lynn, that's a great idea about the camera/video, I also had thought about taking a recorder -- I don't know if they're still available to buy, but back in the early '90's I took one to class at Ohio State & it was invaluable. That way, we could play it back to remind us of something we've forgotten or needed to be refreshed on.

Okiestreamer -- you hit a cord with us!! I don't know how we ever missed that exit/stop when we drove out there with our old car club friends! You can bet that is one place we'll be stopping, thanks so much for the pics and information.

Kay, thanks for the information on the railroad, that's something that we'd like to do too! Some years ago, we took our kids and my in-laws down to West Virginia to ride the Cass Railroad, that, too, took the better part of a day and was a great treat going up onto the mountain.

Also, Kay, I am so excited about possibly meeting you. I've followed your thread and you and your DH have been an inspiration to us. Can't wait to meet you!

Mark, Chaco Canyon sounds very intriguing, but we are nervous nellies about hiking out where we might meet up with mountain lions or anything that might attack -- is that a possibility out there?

Thanks again everyone!

Deb
Old 01-24-2014, 06:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser
So many excellent ideas!

Lynn, that's a great idea about the camera/video, I also had thought about taking a recorder -- I don't know if they're still available to buy, but back in the early '90's I took one to class at Ohio State & it was invaluable. That way, we could play it back to remind us of something we've forgotten or needed to be refreshed on.

Okiestreamer -- you hit a cord with us!! I don't know how we ever missed that exit/stop when we drove out there with our old car club friends! You can bet that is one place we'll be stopping, thanks so much for the pics and information.

Kay, thanks for the information on the railroad, that's something that we'd like to do too! Some years ago, we took our kids and my in-laws down to West Virginia to ride the Cass Railroad, that, too, took the better part of a day and was a great treat going up onto the mountain.

Also, Kay, I am so excited about possibly meeting you. I've followed your thread and you and your DH have been an inspiration to us. Can't wait to meet you!

Mark, Chaco Canyon sounds very intriguing, but we are nervous nellies about hiking out where we might meet up with mountain lions or anything that might attack -- is that a possibility out there?

Thanks again everyone!

Deb
Sorry to say we do not allow video cameras -
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:49 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Oh well, it sounded like a good idea. Thanks for the info.

Counting the weeks......

Deb
Old 01-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
I'll be there and easy to find as I'll be camping in my 1973 Compact , a unique little red fiberglass trailer ; it really stands out among all the Airstreams . Stop by and say hi. Airstream will be at home

Great thing about this event is the opportunity for some hands on experience ,so if you like that don't wear your Sunday best clothes. also they will provide you with a work book that is outstanding.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:12 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Adair , Oklahoma
Deb, if you come through Oklahoma from Joplin and you want some great comfort food, then you might want to take exit 289 off I-44 and stop at Clantons Cafe in Vinita, OK. They serve great chicken fried steak and chicken fried chicken as well as other great meals. They were featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives a while back. Google Clantons Cafe or go to their website, clantonscafe.com. Exit right, go past the Pizza Hut about a block or so and Clanton's will be on your left. It's only about 4 blocks off I-44. Hopefully, we will see in Albuquerque.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
63air, we sure will look you up. Also, thanks for the tip on the clothes, hands on is what we're looking for; we need to do some work on our entry door and hope to pick up some info on that while there.

Dave, thanks so much for sharing Clantons with us, it will be on our list. We love to watch Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, I think it's amazing that they are able to find all of those restaurants with such good food.

Thanks again.

Deb