Old 02-27-2013, 12:29 AM   #15
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Easy Way to Find Campgrounds

I use to check for campgrounds. I won't bore you with details, but suffice it to say you can put in a location, such as Port Angeles and it will list campgrounds in order of distance from your point--in this case, Port Angeles. Click on any campground and you'll be able top tell if it's open and what's available. It's not a complete directory, but it has many listings, particularly state parks.

You can also get campground reviews in TripAdvisor. Using this site has probably saved me from rolling into lousy campgrounds.

Hope this helps

As far as I know, this is the oldest I've ever been.
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Worth the Detour

Deception Pass State Park and Whidbey Island. The campground is open year round.
Deception Pass State Park-Whidbey Island Washington.

easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #17
Airstreamer NW
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fall City , Washington
Spring Break in the PNW

On your return trip, when you leave I-5 and turn onto Hwy101 I highly recommend a night or two at the end of your trip at Port Townsend, WA. It would in fact be a good quick trip destination for you.
PT is our favorite PNW destination.

Red Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #18
Airstreamer NW
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fall City , Washington
Thumbs up Question for Victoria folks

I've long wanted to ferry over to the island and spend a couple of weeks traveling all the way North and back. I've seen the campground on the north side of Victoria harbor and it looks fantastic to me. Have you stayed there and would a trip up island be good?
Are there any campground guides for Vancouver Island?
Fall City, WA
Red Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
2013 28' International
Victoria , British Columbia
Thanks to all for the great information about Washington and Oregon. We feel much better about our trip.

The location of the campground on the inner harbour in Victoria is great. Not sure about amenities and the layout. You can walk to downtown from there along the water, whale watching, float planes, buskers in front of the Empress Hotel, restaurants, night clubs, shopping, etc. Depending on your time line, the first weekend in August is a long weekend here, and the local symphony puts on a concert from a barge right in front of the Provincial Parliament buildings. It is a favorite event drawing upwards of 40 000 to 50 000 people to watch from their kayaks, sailboats or lawn chairs on the lawns of the parliament buildings. It's called Symphony Splash.

There are great campsites all over the island. Seeing the entire island would take a couple of weeks. It is at least 600 miles tip to tip and about 100 miles wide. Tofino on the west coast of the island is a favorite destination and I don't think you will be disappointed. Going north, lots of great scenery and campgrounds. Just be aware that it is expensive to get here on the ferry. The cost with me and the wife with trailer in tow has been $240 Canadian, one way. That is a rig, truck and trailer, 48' long. The first 20' is included as the cost of the passenger vehicle, then it's around $5.50-$6.00 a foot after that.

Weather on the island is varied. It can be beautiful and sunny at the southern tip and there is rain in the north. If you come late spring, you could be kayaking the inner harbour one morning, and snowboarding on Mt. Washington that afternoon. I think this year will see a long ski season. Mt. Washington currently has over a 5 meter or 6 yard base. Crazy amount of snow.

StokerDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
I would also highly recommend Patrick's Point SP in Nor Cal. In the Newport, OR area I would highly recommend Beverly Beach SP. if you have a day free in that area, head to the town of Otis, OR (just east of 101) to the Otis Cafe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1174908555.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	563.4 KB
ID:	179990

Here is a shot of the parking lot on our trip to bring Shiney home (from Portland to Roseville, CA) back in October. We were having lunch when a Bambi showed up.

Zymurbrian is offline   Reply With Quote