Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2014, 08:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

ellensburg , Washington
Sport 22' vs Flying Cloud 25'

My wife and I are purchasing our first airstream this weekend. We really like both the sport 22 and the FC 25 RB. We have a family of 5 including a new baby, we have 2 older girls that will be moving to a tent soon. Were pretty minimalist but are looking for something to relax in over the summer. It will be used in the late fall and early winter for fishing and hunting trips!

What do you all think? What's the best fit for our family?
9ftleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
We purchased a Sport 22FB in January of this year. It is me, wife, and dog (18 lbs). We love it, but we are full with breathing, living protoplasm. It really depends on how you will use it, and where: RV park, state or national campground, etc. if you expect to all sit down and watch a movie, you will probably be cramped. It comes down to expectations, and the style of camping you do.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Welcome aboard. Assuming you can afford either one, the 22 does not have the space, net carrying capacity, or liquid storage capacity to support a family of five, barely a short weekend. It could work with planning.

The 25 will do very well and when the family has grown the two of you have something ideal for long travels.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:19 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

ellensburg , Washington
Thanks that's really good info. We live in the cascades and will have to endure some weather so there is a high potential for long afternoons sipping on coffee and playing cards.

Anything super important I should know before going to the dealership?
Old 04-22-2014, 09:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
I think that if you have a family of five, and weather, you will have to sip on something more than coffee to get through those times. We love our Sport, but we are outside a lot of the time.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9ftleader View Post
Anything super important I should know before going to the dealership?
These things are very expensive, choose the one you really need and can afford so you don't have to do it again in a couple of years. There are some good options, awning package (awnings all around) and solar make your Airstream more usable, convention/microwave oven may be good for large family. If they have a model you like with these options already installed, work hard to get them near dealer cost.

If you decide on one, go over the trailer with a fine tooth comb looking for any defects, making notes with a pencil and notepad. Ask to have them fixed before delivery, and then inspect again to ensure they are. Try to avoid trailers that have been on the lot for nearly a year or more, they take some wear and tear from customers and tires, batteries, sealants have aged with little maintenance. The manufacture date is on a metal tag, usually street side forward.

If financing, money may be saved in the long run with the lowest possible interest rate. Be sure to get it. Don't get extended warranties, they are expensive and most equipment that lasts the two year Airstream warranty will be good for the long run.

If unsure about a choice, take a week to reconsider. There's no rush, a good choice can last a lifetime if you take care of it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We too love our Sport and have no remorse even after eight years of ownership. But, in your case the FC 25 may be a better choice.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
It has been suggested that potential buyers sit in the camper on the dealer's lot and try imagining long, rainy days (in your case, day after day) with the occupants you plan on camping with. That should do the trick. If it's about the cost of an Airstream, think SOB as you'll get much more room and bang for your buck. Happy trails and good luck.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

ellensburg , Washington
Sob?
Old 04-23-2014, 10:56 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
"Some Other Brand", a white box trailer. Not an Airstream.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

ellensburg , Washington
Oh... Thanks. I've watched my dad fly through other brands. I'm not impressed with the quality of most of them. More importantly, and my wife pointed this out: they are all depressing. Very dark interior space, limited natural light. I'm pretty committed to airstream at this point.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
my two cents: I'd go with the 25FB if you can- having seen a number of different plans at rallies, the rear living area is really nice, I think, the nicest plan- if you back into a space with a view, your living area takes advantage of it. The living area is also a lot roomier. I've looked at the 22 sport because our Pilot would tow it; given my druthers, the 25FB is the one of choice, really for the feeling of the interior, even more important with more than two people, possibly holed up during bad weather. One last detail- the sport doesn't have an oven and I believe the 25FB does. There has been debate about this, but I like to bake while camping and a real oven is important- this isn't true for everyone.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
my two cents: I'd go with the 25FB if you can- having seen a number of different plans at rallies, the rear living area is really nice, I think, the nicest plan- if you back into a space with a view, your living area takes advantage of it. The living area is also a lot roomier. I've looked at the 22 sport because our Pilot would tow it; given my druthers, the 25FB is the one of choice, really for the feeling of the interior, even more important with more than two people, possibly holed up during bad weather. One last detail- the sport doesn't have an oven and I believe the 25FB does. There has been debate about this, but I like to bake while camping and a real oven is important- this isn't true for everyone.
My wife bakes cakes, bread and cookies, in our convection/micro.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9ftleader View Post
My wife and I are purchasing our first airstream this weekend. We really like both the sport 22 and the FC 25 RB. We have a family of 5 including a new baby, we have 2 older girls that will be moving to a tent soon. Were pretty minimalist but are looking for something to relax in over the summer. It will be used in the late fall and early winter for fishing and hunting trips!

What do you all think? What's the best fit for our family?

FC 25' without a doubt coming from a family of 5.
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I have an idea, take everyone with you to the dealer and climb inside both and see for yourselves. Consider that you may not want to stay outside all the time- rain, sitting, talking area, etc. A 25' will offer two sitting rooms in twin form, more floor space and more storage. You are talking about three with two in a tent but still those tenters will go to home base for everything but sleeping most likely.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:40 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
1984 31' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
My wife and I have a 31' rear bath and sometimes even that is too small.

So glad we have vinyl and not carpet on the floor. Muddy campgrounds and rain don't mix well with carpet.
Jim Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:15 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Johnston , Iowa
Just bought my own 25FC, RB. I went through the same dilemma in selecting size/model. I'm in a little better spot, since my two oldest are graduating college and high school. That leaves one at home still with my wife and I, plus two dogs. At the end of the day, I decided to go as big as I could tow behind an F150. Also, even though I like the convection microwave, I like the RB version because you get the oven as well.

Good luck!

p.s. It took me TWO YEARS to finally get the one I wanted! I lucked out and got a good deal on a used 2012.
Madhungarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
We have the 25' FC rear bedroom and find it to be virtually perfect for two. I don't think I'd want to consider anything smaller for the use you are describing. The 25-footer will give you some decent lounging area if you are cooped up in it at times and the larger bath is nice too, plus the extra storage as someone else has mentioned.
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:08 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pleasant View , Tennessee
Just bought our FC 25FB a little over a month ago, and really happy with our decision. We're a family of 5 with 3 boys (16,13,6), and we took them down to the dealership to make sure we could all sleep comfortably. Had to get smart with the storage, but definitely glad we didn't go smaller. Took it out 2 weeks ago on a three day trip, and the two TV's and lounging space came in really handy; our day trips usually exhausted the kids and winding down was a nightly ritual. Also, cooking and storage was not as challenging with the added space. All in all, had to get creative with the storage, but I'm a minimalist and found we had room to spare. By the way, we chose the FB because we found that most campgrounds offered back-in parking and we wanted the main living space to face nature and not other campers. Also, the lounging couch/sofa was actually longer, making for a larger sleeping space (almost a full size if pulled out to the max), something to consider. Good luck on your new purchase, and happy camping!
lorena2208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorena2208 View Post
Just bought our FC 25FB a little over a month ago, and really happy with our decision. We're a family of 5 with 3 boys (16,13,6), and we took them down to the dealership to make sure we could all sleep comfortably. Had to get smart with the storage, but definitely glad we didn't go smaller. Took it out 2 weeks ago on a three day trip, and the two TV's and lounging space came in really handy; our day trips usually exhausted the kids and winding down was a nightly ritual. Also, cooking and storage was not as challenging with the added space. All in all, had to get creative with the storage, but I'm a minimalist and found we had room to spare. By the way, we chose the FB because we found that most campgrounds offered back-in parking and we wanted the main living space to face nature and not other campers. Also, the lounging couch/sofa was actually longer, making for a larger sleeping space (almost a full size if pulled out to the max), something to consider. Good luck on your new purchase, and happy camping!

We have a 25' Safari with 3 kids. I would love to hear your creative storage ideas.
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote